Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

M1 license - Permit to ride- No License

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

MSF class gets a insurance discount as well for new riders. insurance companies dont care if you know how to ride or not, just how long you been licensed. they would consider spies, rossi, and stoner as new riders, if the have never been licensed on the street.

i tell people to learn how to ride enough to pass the test and get the m1 added, even if they dont have a bike. that way, if they decide to get a bike or fix one up to ride later, they have had a license for all that time. even only 2 years is a huge savings.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The skills test at the DMV is ridiculous...if you ride anything bigger than a 600 up...the 2 lines are roughly 12" apart....it's map like a basketball court free throw key...you come in from one line, make two circle and come out from another line...maybe at 5mph...

Funny thing is that I took my 900rr for the skills test and the first thing the instructor said was....that's a big one hahha... So when I enter and started my circle rotation...chit, I turn my handle bar all the way L/R to barely kept in circle line...that's why they say take a small cruiser...scooter, 250...

Originally Posted by 74demon
MSF class gets a insurance discount as well for new riders. insurance companies dont care if you know how to ride or not, just how long you been licensed. they would consider spies, rossi, and stoner as new riders, if the have never been licensed on the street.

i tell people to learn how to ride enough to pass the test and get the m1 added, even if they dont have a bike. that way, if they decide to get a bike or fix one up to ride later, they have had a license for all that time. even only 2 years is a huge savings.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In, Ontario, Canada
You do the written test and get your M1 - No passengers, night riding, alcohol.
Between 60-90 days you have to get your M2 from the MTO for $40 (Parking lots slalom test and a couple turns on the road or pass a MSF course ($400), if you don't you have to start over again.
Your M2 lasts for for 5 years and only restriction is no alcohol.
Again you can take a different $400 course and get your full M or the MTO test $80 (30-40min ride around town and highway).

Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 PM

when i did mine, the circle was on a slope with a gutter in the middle. nice! the trick to doing it on a bigger bike is to keep up the speed, drag the rear brake a little, keep the throttle steady, and find the rhythm. i took mine on my harley, not a problem. years later, i went on a weekend and did it on the 929 (my dad was practicing for his test), even easier. i look back and laugh about how hard it seemed at the time.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
In, Ontario, Canada
You do the written test and get your M1 - No passengers, night riding, alcohol.
Between 60-90 days you have to get your M2 from the MTO for $40 (Parking lots slalom test and a couple turns on the road or pass a MSF course ($400), if you don't you have to start over again.
Your M2 lasts for for 5 years and only restriction is no alcohol.
Again you can take a different $400 course and get your full M or the MTO test $80 (30-40min ride around town and highway).
my buddy is from Montreal. is it different there? he said it takes a while mostly because of down time for snow. i guess the waiting times are longer the the riding season.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Well I drive till it snows and I'm out riding once the roads melt
I put the bike away mid-december last year, As for the licenses I'm not sure if Quebec is the same as Ontario.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:59 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing to conside when taking your skill test, even if your riding a scooter or 250...is to gear up, the instructor will look at that...i actually fail my skill test physically....my tires out of line, my foot touch pavement...but instructor still pass me anyway...I treat him with respect like yes sir sorry sir...check my gears, zippers, helmet button, mirror check ditto....

First time ever, I went in with a tank top with my tattoo showing....did pretty good with a 600 skill wise but he failed me anyway...

So I guess your approach is key...

Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, the class to get your "endorsment" here in FL is still 175-300 depending where you go. Harley dealerships give training courses for 300 (of course) Anyway, we still have to pay out the *** to get the endorsment. Even when we take our completion to the DMV it costs an extra $7.00 for them to add it to your DL, AND you still have to pay the cost for the new plastic, another $35 hit!

Oh, and the classes here provide each student with a 250 and helmet (if needed). It is MANDATORY to come wearing long sleves, pants, gloves and boots also.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 PM

for sure take the class. it will be really good for you.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by estate4life
So it's really a no brain-er to go get your endorsement/permit...$10-$15 written test...multiple choice and questions are common sense...pass it and you can ride on street w/restrictions....which is tons better than NO LICENSE...
Definitely a no-brainer to get your permit.
But then again... when I took my permit test, the guy at the DMV actually commented about how I was like the 2nd person out of 20 to pass that day. Maybe some people get fed up because they can't pass the test and then they just ride without it? I know a guy who took it 3 times and failed.
I didn't think it was terribly hard, but they do ask enough tricky questions that I can see how someone could fail it. Half the questions aren't covered in the manual.
On the skills test... yeah, that's kind-of a beatch on a big sportbike.

Originally Posted by estate4life
So what is the worst case scenario if riding w/o permit/license? They can impound your ride (or your friends ride, whom lend you the bike)....
That's about one of the only charges in PA that I don't know the punishment for.

My guess is that you get to ride in a cop car! And you may even get a free ham sandwich with kool-aid!

Oh, and btw.... the MSF course is free in PA.

Quick Reply: M1 license - Permit to ride- No License