Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

M1 license - Permit to ride- No License

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default M1 license - Permit to ride- No License

I notice many rider out there on the street do NOT have motorcycle license? But fact is they are riding everywhere...and some have riding permit, which can be obtain easily by taking a 21 question multiple choice test ($15-$20)...for 6 months permit will let you ride daytime/non highway/no passenger. So why so many riders out there don't even try to get a permit or license...once you have it, it's for life...

Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not yet out on the streets, but trying to get my endorsement first.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:54 PM
February 2012 ROTM

I assume different States have different procedures of obtaining a motorcycle license. Here is SoCal, before you get the M1 license, you need to get a permit ...so when you say endorsement? What does it mean? Is it relates to Motorcycle Safety Courses?

Originally Posted by TechGirl1414
I am not yet out on the streets, but trying to get my endorsement first.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Yes. Here in FL you only take a motorcycle safety course, and once you complete it (2 days) they give you a completion card that you take to the dmv and have them add the words "motorcycle also" to the bottom of your DL. That's it.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Ahhh...it's like the CHP classes here in SoCal...but these classes cost ridiculously like $250-$300

So how much does FL cost?

To some it's worth it because they provide you a motorcycle to train on...

Originally Posted by TechGirl1414
Yes. Here in FL you only take a motorcycle safety course, and once you complete it (2 days) they give you a completion card that you take to the dmv and have them add the words "motorcycle also" to the bottom of your DL. That's it.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

endorsement = motorcycle class added to auto license. your drivers license has the m class endorsement added to your c class license. some states have a separate license for motorcycles. they'll let you ride a bike, even if your car license is no good.

my buddy was telling me, in canada, that it takes a year and a half to get a motorcycle license with all the hoops with weather down time. could be longer if you dont time it right.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In PA you pay $10 and take a permit test (written).
If you pass, you get your permit which is good for 1 year. A permit allows you to ride just like you have a license, but with restrictions: you can't ride with a passenger, you can't ride at night, and you must wear a helmet. You can renew your permit once (for another year) for $10 without re-taking the test.
To get your "class M" (full moto license) you must pass the license skills test.
Once you have your class M, the only restriction is that you have to wear a helmet for 2yrs.

As to why people don't get either of the above... it's because they're dumbasses. lol..

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 10-13-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM

in utah you have to take a written test to get your endorsement(when i say endorsement they just add a little m on your license to state you can ride a motorcycle) then you set an appointment to take a riding test. They also offer different cc restriction as well.
Utah Department of Public Safety

Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM
February 2012 ROTM

So it's really a no brain-er to go get your endorsement/permit...$10-$15 written test...multiple choice and questions are common sense...pass it and you can ride on street w/restrictions....which is tons better than NO LICENSE...

So what is the worst case scenario if riding w/o permit/license? They can impound your ride (or your friends ride, whom lend you the bike)....

Old 10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In CA if you have taken the MSF course before applying for your permit, you go down to the DMV, take the written and if you pass, your M1 license is automatically issued. Applying for a permit prior to your M1 license is not required and successful MSF course completion provides a wavier for the skills test.

Quick Reply: M1 license - Permit to ride- No License