Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Lost because of a skill

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost because of a skill

I am new to riding bikes, all together I put about 2500 miles, 600mi of which on my 06 cbr 1000 that I bought two weeks ago . On last sunday's afternoon I went to a road about 2 miles long with some twisties on it. It has two lanes going each way with a concrete divider in between and with pine trees on a side. So I rode there a couple of times working on my cornering skills. Before making a U-turn I noticed a Porshe Boxter with a guy and a girl on the pasenger seat. When I came to the next light(before entering the twistie rode) he was there also. On the green he started to push his car ,pretty much to the limit, trying to leave me behind. I was a little surprised and excited at the same time. I smoke these Boxters on my STI any day on any road like nothing, and here he was trying to race my bike which seemed ridiculous. Anyway,I was not opening the throttle untill may be 60mph going along with the car. Then opened up and he was way behind untill I approched the first turn where I had to brake hard....To make it short he won the race, I could caught up with him after the all turns. At the stop light I told him that that was nice and that I'm still learning. He just had that grind on his face like him and his car really did well.
It frustrated me a bit, I don't over rate my skills, I considered myself a newbee in riding, however that was a dissappointment in myself. I really want to improve my riding.... Any good place to start??? Thanks.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Lost because of a skill

id say do some track days.. the streets arent the best place to push yourself , your lucky something bad didnt happen while you were trying to show him up .. take it to the track and have fun there. ride safe... also did i understand you correctly that you're a new rider and your already pushing yourself on your 1krr? is this your 1st bike or what ?

Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 AM

Man o man. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but road racing someone while you're learning is going to put you into those pine trees at 100 mph in a hurry. You're very lucky and got off easy this time that it didn't happen that way.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:50 AM

trackdays...concentrate on body postitoning and take that mentality to the street, but dont try to drag a knee in your neighborhood

Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 AM

It's my second bike, first was yamaha fz-1. I apreciate your warning and trying to cool me down, that can be helpfull. I'm not in my #teens anymore(26), so I normally would not do something without knowing that I can. And yes, I know I could have crashed if I pushed too far. In matter of fact, I remember police and ambulance were picking up a crashed rider at night on the very same road about 5 years ago. My goal is not to get killed or injured, but to learn in a proper manner, how to ride well. I agree that track is a safest way of doing that, so I am heading there next month.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

sounds good .. let us know how you like the track days

Old 10-24-2006, 06:01 AM

Track is good. Also try getting your hands on "Total Control" by Lee Parks. It is full of good information.

On another thought, a Porshe is not your regular Buick. They are race bred machines just like your CBR. They were built to go fast, and to go fast around corners too. I do not know if a sportbike can out do a high performance car around corners. You have to understand that a Porshe has four wide tires on the ground and we only have two. A car can slide a little in the corners and get away with it. On a bike you either low-side or high-side. To me, those who take the corners on two wheels have more *****. It's thrilling to be leaned over and hanging off. In a car, I'd be bored taking corners. I don't care what kind of car I am in.

I think we're dealing with apples and oranges. Don't let anyone lead you to your grave. I know it's tempting, but it's not worth it. It just isn't worth it. Yeah, go to the track. Learn to ride fast, but don't let anybody make you stupid. I don't care if you're the fastest dude on the track, the street is not a track. On the track, you have perfect road conditions. On the street,... well, that's anyone's guess. For a car, one front tire can tread over a puddle of oil, and it wouldn't make much of a difference because there are three more tires. On a bike, if you lose one tire, you're history. Think about it.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: 2wheels

Don't let anyone lead you to your grave.
That's the best saying I've heard in a long time.

Kind of goes along with trying to keep up with the rest of the group too, especially if they're faster riders. And also getting sucked into a road race with some tool in a car.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:11 AM

Glad to hear you made it out unscathed..a Boxster?..cmon...we will let it go this time and a 1k....someone else light him up....im exhausted...

If i may....Quote 2wheels.

Don't let anyone lead you to your grave. I know it's tempting, but it's not worth it. It just isn't worth it.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:18 AM

racing a PORSCHE with your bike? really, I dont think you stand much chance, given that car's engineers, and what they built it for. its a go fast handle like mad car, just like your bike. you're 26 man, use some common sense and let him be a fast nutcase if he wants. you're gonna die someday, dont let other people's wants dictate WHEN that someday will be.

Quick Reply: Lost because of a skill