Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Looking for some opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some opinions...

If you choose to respond, please do so before reading the comments at the bottom of this story...

I am covering a topic for an online publication, and I'm looking to get some diverse opinions. Not looking for flamers so please keep it civil in your responses. Also, anyone responding here keep in mind this for an article to be published - your words may appear in print. If that doesn't sit well with you, please claim that in your response. I will contact anyone through PM if I choose to use your words.

Local story...

http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2008/n...ers-halloween/

Online publication for the article-to-be-written...

http://www.wagthejoe.com/

Essentially, I'm looking for opinions on this law and why you either favor it or would be opposed to it. I appreciate any input, thanks.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Default RE: Looking for some opinions...

In the common sense aspect, I agree with the actions of law enforcement. While to others it might seem absurd, I'm positive that those affected by this didn't become so for being of the highest caliber of individuals.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:12 AM

While I agree that pedophiles should not have access to children, isn't the law ALREADY on the books that they are not to have any contact...hence the whole "registered sex offender" database? Why is yet another law needed to state something that is already laid out in black and white? Enforce the laws we have, instead of passing yet more legislation...
Again, I'm not taking the pedophiles stance on this one, I just feel that our government has run amok passing laws that serve only to cure problems that don't exist and protecting us from ourselves. Do I really need a law telling me I can't smoke weed, drive without a seatbelt, sleep in the street, or shoot myself in the face? I'm stupid or careless enough to want to do any of these things to myself, why should the government be able to tell me that my personal choices are wrong and now, illegal?
I leave you with one of my favorite quotes ever, fromone of the greatest Americans in history:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-02-2008, 09:25 AM
RCR

If there that worried about the offenders then the city needs to rent a hall and throw them a party for the night to keep them off the street.

How do they know that the 16 were not home and doing exactly as they were told to do? Why answer the door if you could get arrested. Witch hunt.

A parent that would let their child go out by themselves has the burden of responsibility for anything that may happen to their child. We don't live in a safe world anymore and to think letting your children run unsupervised is asking for trouble.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 AM

I agree with what they did. If it even keeps one child from being abused.. thenI say the sex offenders can deal with a 5 minute visit from the police. Considering the damage these sex offenders did to others.... 5 minutes once a year islittle consequence to deal with. Its not like the police were ransacking thier place, just a visit to make sure they were not handing out candy and or to make sure they were home.. like they were supposed to be. whats the big deal?

I agree that the government does pass stupid laws, but this one I agree with. It doesnt affect anyone other than sex offenders. And personally, if your a sex offender, then I dont give you the same rights as the rest of us. Its about time that people are held accountable for their actions. Not just being able to serve your time and your done. the person they made their sex offense against have a life time of pain to deal with.

If you want to smoke weed, drive with out a seat belt and shoot yourself in the face. then go ahead. But it being illegal is the price you pay for living in the US..., you smoke weed, it does slow your reation time down and has been shown to cause permanant damage. Im not sure if its more to protect people, or more so someone doesnt get rich of off a damaging drug. Look at all of the drugs that the government removes from the shelves each year. Is the govnernment supposed to just the companies keep selling the drugs?... Driving without a seatbelt has also been shown to be more dangerous than without, not to meniton the life saving capabilities of it. The seat belt keeps you and your passenger in thier proper place. if you made a quick manevour and your passenger didnt have thier seatbelt on, the possibility is there that they can end up in your lap, creating a crash that could have been avoided, potentially one with an oncomming motorist.. Shooting yourself in the face....Well who has to clean it up?....

Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 AM

J.A.SquidI don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, so I'll cite one fact and go on with my business. Never, not once in the history of American law, has a child been molestedwhile going door to door trick or treating. Why pass a law to prevent a non-existent problem? I agree that once you commit the crime, you give up rights that the rest of us take for granted...tough sh*t for you, that's what you get. You want to be treated like a law-abiding citizen? Well, you should have obeyed the laws...you won't hear me argue that point. Again, the registered offenders who are pedophiles are required to have NO contact with children, all day, every day. Why pass yet another law that says the exact same thing? Why not just check on them under the premise of enforcing the original law?
Children are in FAR more danger from cars driving by on Halloween that from convicted sex-offenders...perhaps we should pass a law outlawing driving during those hours too?
Again, don't take this as an attack on you personally, I just feel that government has been given FAR too much power over our personal lives, and we are never going to get our liberties back.
LOVE my country, FEAR my government.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: 51plymouth

J.A.SquidI don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, so I'll cite one fact and go on with my business. Never, not once in the history of American law, has a child been molestedwhile going door to door trick or treating.
Please cite your resource.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 AM

While I whole heartly think, they did their time, we also need to keep them in check cause several of them ready admit they can't be cured and its like a full time battle in their head to not cave. I feel bad for them on one side cause most don't want to do it, while I don't feel bad and think they should be killed slowly for what they have done to children. Honestly I think we should hook up a GPS to all pediphiles so we can track them. If they get to close to a school or anything of the sort, arrest them

Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 AM

Our justice system has no cure for the pedophile. Lock them up turn them loose. It is a revolving door. They will re-offend. And the victims have to live with the consequenses. Maybe they should be slowly dismanteled as live organ donars...it would at least give them some valueto society.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Looking for some opinions...