Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Looking for input on next bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire
But it's all about the odds, and the odds for a new rider on a 1k are just not in most peoples favor.
Very true. Dexterity, coordination, self-control, he needs to make sure he really knows how he stacks up in those categories before he makes the decision.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:14 PM

I did the research and to do the carb clean that I may need is like $300 and is it worth it on a bike that I bought personally as just to learn and not worth in my mind putting any money into? I figured if I got say a 01-06 F4i I think that it could have enough grunt to move my big butt and still be worth it to put money into to make it look nicer and if there is anything performance I can do, then do so. Agree or disagree?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean, it all depends. If you want to learn about your bikes and how they work, etc., then I would just do the carb clean yourself and spend next to no money on it. Bike maintenance can get REALLY expensive if you don't do some stuff yourself. Many of us aren't rich, so we choose to try and do our own maintenance. Some just take it to the shop.
If it were me, I'd pull the carbs and clean them up myself to see if it makes a difference. It's totally up to you, though.

If you really want an F4i, there's really nothing wrong with that, either.
I look at it like I'd rather drop or scratch a cheaper F2 than a more expensive F4i. Still just my personal opinion, though.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:00 PM

I think you kit the nail on the head with that comment. I am getting trigger happy for something with a lil more ballz and im way to nervous to try pushing it yet. With exactly 12k on it, my bet is he didn't do the part yet. Is that a simple problem to fix?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 AM

I guess the thing im wondering is is the F4i a bike that is powerful enough to not bore you, have enough in the aftermarket scene to "customize" at all, and about the same proportions as the F2?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I kinda suspect Sean's got the bug, you know, had enough hassle with what he currently owns and just wants something else. We've all been there.
Yep, I agree 100%. (And I agree on the FI deal, too..)

I guess the thing im wondering is is the F4i a bike that is powerful enough to not bore you, have enough in the aftermarket scene to "customize" at all, and about the same proportions as the F2?
Yep. You shouldn't get bored with it for a long time, and there is PLENTY of aftermarket stuff for them (tons). Dimensions are very close to the same (f4i weighs like 40lbs less, though)

Old 10-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanPMN
I can understand having the itch. I'm in the middle of repaint project. And there are times that if I had a couple stacks laying around, I'd be on CL or Ebay buying another.

To be honest, I feel there isn't a bike that'll bore me until I master it. Even the little 250s I used during the BRC were fun. There are many milestones I feel I have to achieve before I start looking at a bigger bike. Including the Holy Grail of Sports Bikes: Knee Dragging at will.

Power basically adds to the straight line experience, I feel. I'm a Street Rider. Power really doesn't add much to my riding experience. Making my bike look and sound good, being able to flick it over to take 90 degree turns and basically getting from Point A to Point B with style are my goals. That said...

If I knew now what I knew when I was shopping for a bike, I prolly woulda gotten an F4I just to avoid the carb issues If you see one you like, grab it. Maybe part out your F2 to build up the cash. Again, the time is to your advantage. Off season, people are doing projects on their bikes. While bike prices may drop, part prices will prolly go up some. I still say stay away from the liter bikes. There are ways you can easily beat your friends with a 600 if you've got the control.

And they'll be green trying to figure out how you can do it

Old 10-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Ok, I know this will sound all "counter cultural" and all (Sportbike culture that is) but I'm not sure a big guy will be all that impressed with a really light bike. There is something about a bigger, heavier bike that just seems more substantial and this might be especially true for a big guy. That's part of why I like my CBR 1000F so much. It has gravitas. I bike that he can pick up in his arms might feel like a bicycle to him. Kind of insubstantial. I sold my 750 because it felt wimpy. All of our priorities are not the same. And power to weight ratio might not be as important as torque and mass. Just something to consider.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on next bike