Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Looking for advice on transporting a bike in the back of a truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on transporting a bike in the back of a truck

Im picking up a new 08 1000rr in PA tomorrow and Im a little nervous about loading and unloading the bike. I have never done it before and Id hate to drop my brand new bike.

Do you guys have any pointers?

Should I drive it up or push it up?

Do you think this ramp will work fine? Im thinking of picking it up on the way down to PA. http://binghamton.craigslist.org/rvs/1152851064.html They said its about 20" wide.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 AM

FYI... that's a good deal on the ramp.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Its always easier to use two ramps to load and unload. One for the bike and one for you to walk up on. Never just ride it up. If there is a hill or steep driveway you can get away with not having a ramp. Depending on the bed you may have to angle it to get the gate to close. I always put mine in the back, put it in gear and have the kickstand down. I put a piece of 2x4 lumber under the stand to take away some of the lean and then strap it down. I use the clipons for the front. Use ratcheting straps but don't make then too tight. Leave room for the suspension to do it's job. If you have a long drive check it periodically. Check it a couple miles after you leave and make sure it's all snug.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Cool, Thanks for your advice. Ill have to look for another ramp. Do you leave the engine on and feather the gas letting it drive itself up or do you simply push it?

On the way down does it matter if I sit on it and ride it backwards or should I stand on the side again working the break?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM

With my F4, I parked the truck on a steep hill, which leveled the ramps out a little bit.
One person on each side, guiding the bike up the ramps and into the bed of the truck.
Jam the front tire into the corner of the bed and have the kickstand down.
Keep it in gear and steering locked.
then use straps to to keep it forward and to keep it to the left.
Thats how I did it at least!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM

I just put mine straight in and kept the tailgate down as it was too long for my bed. I have two ratcheting straps. One went from the anchor point up around the one side of the front fork then back to the same anchor point but don't make it tight yet. On the other side do the same thing, then after you have both sides on tighten them equally till they are snug. That's the way I have mine and I haven't had any problems like that.

I'll take a pic or two in a min.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 AM

it's my magna but I did the same thing with the F2

Name:  SSPX0026.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  150.5 KB
Name:  SSPX0024.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  134.7 KB
Name:  SSPX0025.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  155.1 KB

Old 05-08-2009, 03:54 PM

As far as straping, I would see if the dealership has a canyon dancer you can buy. I've used one everytime I've had to strap my bike down and it works great. Its a strap that goes around your clip ons, and then extends the straps out away from your fairings. then you just attach your straps to that.

Loading and unloading, do like others said and get two ramps, or at least a ramp and a 2x6 to walk on. Put the bike in neutral and keep your hand on the brake and slowly let it down.

The way we've always done it, is get 4 guys and pick it up. They are fairly light and this has always worked for us, but you have to have 3 friends to give ya a hand. Its nerve racking if you've never done it, but it works great. We've done it with only 3 guys without any issues.

As for that ramp. I dont think it will work well. Unless you can find a bank to back your truck up to. Most street bike ramps have an arc in them as they dont have much ground clearance and the ramps are usually long.

How high is your truck? Might be better off renting a trailer or borrowing one. Some bigger hardware stores rent them, also uhaul rents them. 15 bucks a day for a motorcycle trailer from U-haul. might be less hassle and safer for a long trip.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

do not drive it up ever. for whatever reason if you let off the gas for even a second you will not make it up the ramp and you will fall over because there is no where to put your feet down

i have done this before....

that being said park on a hill it's easy.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM

I picked up my cbr1000f with a work van, my baby is well over 500lb's. I used 2 pieces of 3/4" ply, approx. 3' x 5' screwed together and bolted a piece of angle iron on one end to hook on the bumper. I was backed in at the bottom of a sloped drive as the others said and the guy I bought it from helped walk it up the ramp with me. I used ratcheting straps around the grips and pulled down tight on the front suspension with the bike straight against the bulkhead. no kickstand, bike was in 1st gear and staight up and down. drove 1 1/2 hours home and the bike did not move. You want the straps as high up on the bike as possible and down not out pulled tight. I had my straps on the grips so the straps were not touching the fairings. Compress that front suspension, you do not want any bouncing! Do not try to drive it up or have it running, that's just asking for trouble. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on transporting a bike in the back of a truck