Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Lookin for bike for my wife and could use some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin for bike for my wife and could use some advice.

Iam looking for a bike for my wife and thought who better to ask than another woman about this. My wife has never riddin befor but she is going to be taking riding lessons at a local place, and i am looking for a bike for her but wasnt really to sure what would be good for her. Shes about 5'2" and 120lbs. i was thinking of getting her like a 500 or 600 to start with, i have a 900rr that i would give her but i know that its to much for her too soon.. Any input would help. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lookin for bike for my wife and could use some advice.

you know you could do a lot worse than get her a Kawasaki GPZ500...you might call them EX500 over there...I had one and it was amazing...light, fast, nippy...economical and perfect for commuting on, it's narrow and great for filtering through traffic...the twin engine is a bit lumpy at tickover/low revs but smooths out as the revs climb...when it gets 6,7,8K on the tacho it feels like an in line four and really starts to take off...they're quite cheap too...they are here anyway...even the riding position is sit up comfortable...

Jules

Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 AM

I'm not a girl but last year I had my GF learn on the road with my lilYamaha XT225 enduro. Small, light, and slowenough to keep her at a resonable pace. This year she's going to be moving up to my '97 CBR600F3...it will be interesting.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 AM

The new '08 Ninja 250r's are great/hot looking and perfect 1st bike.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 AM

My husband bought me a CBR600 F4i a few weeks back. I have also never ridden before. I was determined to learn on it, but after a week I decide to go to a smaller bike to learn on. I still the the F4i, but I am learning on a friends Baja125. No it's no crotch rocket, but it's light, and perfect hight. I am about 5'3" and 115lbs. I am learning so I didn't care what the bike looked like. I guess we would have gotten the ninja250 if we hadn't went with the 600 first. Just didn't have the money to drop on another one. BUT.... I do recommend a 250 or so since she hasn't ever driven a bike. I promise she will feel more comfortable starting out. I can drive the F4i I am just not comfortable on it right now. I keep thinking she's gonna fly out from under me or fall over on me. We are all different, but that's my story!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM

pick up a Ninja 250 they are great first bikes, and plenty of power to learn on, and handle incredibly well.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 AM

+1 on the 2008 Ninja 250. That is just a sexy little bike and a damn good starter bike. New they are under $4k.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Friend and Hero ...

On the subject of the 250 ninja myself and swt poet, about a week ago was at a local multi-dealership. And as she likes to say " I have never met a stranger " LOL. I was talking to the sales manager for about an hour and a half just sharing bike stores. He told us that the 250 was basically out of stock. Nationwide, because there was a minor recall. The recall involved, a defective rear tail light bulb he said this information was related to him by a factory sales rep for his area. But by the first of April the US should be swimming in a sea of 250's

Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Ty

+1 on the Ninja 250. Excellent first bike andit doesn'tcompromise the sportbike styling. Also very affordable.

Or you could just get her a Busa with a 300 rear tire and lots of chrome. That seems to be a popular first bike these days. Parts are readily available on ebay also, for some reason. LOL

Old 03-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two Fiddy!

Quick Reply: Lookin for bike for my wife and could use some advice.