Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Long ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long ride

Well this last weekend (memorial day weekend) i decided to take the longest ride ive done on my bike. I am in the marines and am stationed in north carolina and my girl is in ohio so took off friday morning to start my 760 mile trek. going there was pretty ruff. i had on my back pack with my extra helmet cargo netted to the back. well cause of the extra weight it killed my wrists, shoulders, and *** even with my corbin seat wich is brand new by the way. to make things worse i got rained on in west virginia and through most of ohio. on my return trip i had nothing but nice weather and i gave the helmet to my girl to keep and so i cargo netted my back pack so no weight on my shoulders. the trip back was much better but still a little sore on *** and wrists not so much the shoulders. i dont know if i plan on doing this again any time soon but i know i will eventually and it was a great experiance. just thought id share.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Default RE: Long ride

Good timing, frenzy. I'm going on my longest ride coming up tomorrow for the AMA race in WI. I wound up getting some Tour Master Cortech tail and saddle bags from newenough.com to make it a bit easier to get there. Glad I did, from your backpack story. I'll probably wish I had the Corbin when I get about halfway there. From what I've seen, the '06 seat is a touch better than the 04&5s, but I wouldn't brag about it at all. Glad you made it back safely!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4350/2B97B208D78B49E991F04BED9DEA235A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4350/CEE33B13C70A4822A67DFF28650986EA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4350/18593991B7AE470B8B9DD18420321AAF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 PM

Hey comet,

That's pretty cool looking. How does it attach to the bike? Will it scratch the paint? How much was that setup? You got a link?

(sorry for all the questions)

Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 PM

good luck on your trip and have fun at the race. i plan on trying to make the one in virginia in aug. i also like those bags im going to have to look into getting some of those if i keep making these little trips. take it easy.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!! Congrats on the successful roadtrip! I don't know if you saw my post and pictures or not but I too just got back from my longest roadtrip ever... 18 days and 5,126 miles (S. FL -> Deals Gap -> VA Beach ->Ohio ->Chicago then back home). Hell of a good time indeed!!

I have a backpack as well but I haven't used it in forever cuz I hate wearing it while riding. It kills my shoulders and makes my back sweat like a pig! So if I do use it it goes under the cargo net though. Here's my luggage for this last roadtrip though... it was enough for almost 3 weeks. I have the same Cortech tailbag as Comet, but don't have the same matching saddlebags. I was gonna buy the matching ones but my friend just lent me his Teknic ones which also worked great. Way more comfy without the backpack though... I did one 3.5 hr trip (each way) with my backpack on once and swore never again, hahah
Name:  GAPtrip002.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  129.6 KB

Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 PM

yeah i was reading your post earlier and it looks like it was a great trip and glad to see you made it back in one piece. and i hear you about the back pack i will never do that again for long periods im going to try to get those saddle bags and rear seat bag soon.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:09 PM

Thanks guys,
The saddlebags have velcro straps that connect the two sides together with neoprene on the inside to keep the paint from scratching. Everything's all protected comfy and nice. To strap it onto the bike, I've got it run under my tail seat for the big strap and then there's four smaller 1" straps that I hooked onto my rear passenger pegs in the front and then onto my licence plate in the rear to keep it from moving at all. It's actually pretty easy to unbuckle the whole thing with their quick-release clasps built into the straps. The tail bag can connect to the saddlebags with some more straps that come from the front and back of the bag. They're designed to fit together pretty easily. If you don't want the saddlebags, the tail bag can mount independently with some bungees that come out from underneath the bag. I didn't try those out since the other straps worked perfectly. I got 'em <here>, and the customer service is very nice. I didn't know if I would like saddle bags on a sport bike or if the center-up exhaust would ruin the bags, so we wrote back and forth a couple of times before I placed my order. They were good to me and the bags look and fit very well.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 PM

glad you made it back safely. i've done the whole backpack thing too (3.5 hrs one way) and it wasn't fun! [:@]

Old 06-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comet I do like the matching saddlebags. I think I'm still gonna get them for mine since the tailbag is already set up for attaching the saddlebags too. Plus the ones I used the straps kinda scratched my tail a bit (didn't really care cuz I'm doing the split seat tail swap soon, but don't want to scratch the new tail!). I guess they must have the same protective stuff as the bottom of the tailbag.. that soft squishy stuff? Are those expandable too with the little zippers?

Old 06-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frenzy, good ride... Hey about that new corbin, the corbin people have been known to say 2000mi. breakin!!!! , on some seats. Your already about half way there,yaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!( beats getting 2k in the city !!!!!!!!!) Glad your back safe.
Clean and free, ripp'n PS. now roundup everybody, to sit and bounce up and down on that seat!!!!!! artficial 1k!!!

Quick Reply: Long ride