Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

License ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: License ?

Thats probably what i'll do TheX, but i'm worried cuz the DMV test is said to be REALLY hard or something, so i'm kinda worried about dropping my new bike or failing the test. I hear its even harder with anything bigger than like 250cc's. Its not that i dont want to be illegal, i just dunno whats the requirerment for the DMV test here in illinois, someone said figure-8's or something.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you borrow a smaller bike to try the test?

Old 01-13-2007, 10:23 PM

I dont know, maybe, but i'd be worried about dropping their bike while taking the test =X. Thats my biggest fear, is damaging the merchandise/my new baby =P.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Retired Moderator

I wouldn't take the test with your bike because of the cc and weight difference from a 250 (which you get to use in the MSF). I would get the permit and ride around with friendsand in your neighborhood (I say that because that is exactly what I did and it worked for me). Start slow...1st and 2nd gear. Stop at stop signs, make turns, try to turn around without putting your feet down in the cul de sac. Make sure you practice your left hand techniques. I am convinced that the key to riding slow (and being in control) is using the clutch. When you've done that fora fewmonths, you will be able to take you MSF, and get your liscence without the DMV test. Please, do yourself a favor and get the book I mentioned earlier...here is the Amazon link...no bull****: GREAT BOOK!

http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot...F8&s=books

Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Banned

Well in most states you just have to take a written to get your permit and you can ride all you want, take the skills test later.

You just need to take a minute to look at the laws in your state/city.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:16 PM

It isn't against the law to purchase or own a vehilce w/o a license and dealerships don't care as they are not telling you or even recommending that you ride a bike w/o one. They are selling a product and how you get it home is your problem. The only thing, in my experience, that they will ask for is insurance. As for riding w/o a license or permit, not a good idea.I've knownpeople who were ticketed for doing that. But the one cop would drop the ticket if he got the license within a certain timeframe. But others weren't so lucky as they had to wait until someone came and picked them and the bike up and they got tickted. Stay safe and follow, most of, the rules.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

I, as well as most others here, are well-aware of the laws concerning purchasing a new vehicle.

The point I was making is that you can take a 16 year-old, and put them in car and let them drive away. More than likely, they'll end up home in one piece.

As far as motorcycles are concerned, there SHOULD be an ethical approach to selling bikes to unlicensed riders. It's just stupid. Combine that with the fact that it's easier to get financed on a brand new 600RR (apparently), than it is an older bike. So now you have an inexperienced rider driving away on a Race Replica with a throttle response that could very well lead to serious injury if not death.

I understand that they need to sell bikes to make money, and that's why the state SHOULD step in. Period.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:23 AM

Yeah go take the test. At worst you'll maybe pick up something you didn't know while studying the little book!
I have been riding on a learners permit for years! I thought you could only renew them a couplea times before you had to take the road test but apparently not. I've been back to renew that stupid permit every 6 months for years! The DMV staff laughs and asks me if i'm ever gonna just get the regular license. I'm going to take it in the Spring with a scooter, not the 900. I've never worried about it much cause I don't carry passengers and I don't ride at night (deer). Get the learners permit and be happy you're legal

Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Mstngdrew232

Thats probably what i'll do TheX, but i'm worried cuz the DMV test is said to be REALLY hard or something, so i'm kinda worried about dropping my new bike or failing the test. I hear its even harder with anything bigger than like 250cc's. Its not that i dont want to be illegal, i just dunno whats the requirerment for the DMV test here in illinois, someone said figure-8's or something.
When I got my M Class the girl at the DMV said to come back after hours and practice on the circle painted in the parking lot. It turned out to be easier than I thought. I borrowed my father-in-laws DRZ400 for the test. He takes it off road all the time so wasn't worried about dropping it or anything. (I didn't). My wife is now practicing for her drive test as well. I know I'll probably be flamed for this, but she's 8mos pregnant too. We're getting the kids started young.

Now before you get all up at arms, I ride the bike to the DMV, she practices in the lot, then I ride it back home.