Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

License ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License ?

Ok, well i'm buyinga bike tomorrow cuz its winter and the prices are low. Anyone know what the penalties are for riding without a class M license? I mean, i'm going to get a permit and practice with supervison and the like, but i hear some people ride without a license and i was wondering what would be the worst that could happen with legal stuff. I dont want to leave town beforeI finish the MSF course in april, so its not like i'm going to be going crazy anyways. Right now I just want to ride around for fun and learn the ropes of something over 50cc's .

Old 01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: License ?

Drew,
I did the same thing you are planning. I got the bike, had to wait six weeks for the MSF, got my permit to ride with friends, and ended up flying solo for those six weeks. I understand in some states you can ride solo certain times of the day with just a permit. Anyway, you could get sighted for riding without an endorsement. As far as getting your bike impounded, I'm not sure. There are a couple of LEO's on here, and I hope they chime in.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be okay as long as you follow the restrictions for the learners permit. They should be listed somewhere on thepermit.
Good Luck and practice, practice, practice.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 PM

Well, it all kind of depends on what state your in. In Fl, it comes down to a few things. A)You can get a ticket and have the bike seized. B) You can go to jail and have the bike seized. C) You may have A and/or B done along with having your license suspended. It all depends on the officer and what they feel like. OR they may say go home and park it until you get legal, but usually, that doesnt happen. But in most cases, you arent going home with that bike at all. I would just go atleast get a learners permit before you do anything or trailer the bike. Its really dumb, I mean REALLY dumb to ride without a license, especially if you have never riden before

Old 01-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Retired Moderator

I agree with D2...don't ride without anything! At least get your permit before you break the law . When I had my permit, I rode with one guy a few times who had been riding for a couple years. I found out he never had an endorsement. We both could have gotten in trouble. As I said, I ended up ridingby myself most of the time, and even rode by a few cops. It does depend on the officer as some are pro-bike (at least tolerant), and some are anti-bike.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Banned

It's just going to depend on your city/state laws, and who pulls you over (i.e. state police, city or sheriff's dept.).

I would imagine that the most that could happen is similar to driving a car without a license. Depending on who pulls you over, nothing, or at the very most, they could prevent you from getting your license for 6 months or something similar.

A good deal of shops won't even sell you a bike if you don't have a license. More often than not, they won't care, which is too bad. Just at the very least, get your permit. Here in Missouri you just have to pay $3.50 and take a 25 question test on the computer at the DMV.

If you can't do those small things, you probably aren't responsible enough to be riding in the first place

Old 01-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Retired Moderator

Kid's right.I bought my bike a week before I picked it up and they knew I did not have an endorsement. When I came to pick it up, they never asked me anything about my liscence. I actuallyhad brought a friend to ride it home for me, but it didn't matter to them.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 AM

Cycle Riders of Orlando doesnt check either, but it didnt matter because I was legal. But like everyone has said. GET LEGAL. It will only cost a few dollars, and you'll atleast be legit enough to ride home. However, I dont know if you have ever ridden before, but I dont think you should be driving it home either way if you havent. Either have it trailered or let someone you know ride it home for you so it atleast makes it home. Either way, tkae the hour down at the DMV out before you go get them bike to get the permit. Yes, it does have stipulations, i.e. cannot ride after dark, no freeways, no passengers, etc, but, you can ride by yourself, in places you should only be riding to learn on, or even in parking lots. But like Kid said, if you cant take the time to get legit, that shows irresponsibility from the start. And from now until April, believe me, you'll be pulled over atleast once, and there will be a time someone will get you if you ride without a license. But its a dumb idea to do it IMO and its endangering yourself and others. However, as the popular saying goes on here, to each his own.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:54 AM

Mstngdrew232

Ok, well i'm buyinga bike tomorrow cuz its winter and the prices are low. Anyone know what the penalties are for riding without a class M license? I mean, i'm going to get a permit and practice with supervison
Your going to get your permit. You mean before you start riding period. And oh yea lets not forget insurance right??

Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 AM

+1 on what he said ^.

Most insurance companies won't even give you insurance until you give them a copy of your permit or M class license.
Just take the permit, it's an easy *** 25 question written test (at least here). You're good to ride for 6 months, if I remember. The only restrictions (here in Mo at least) for a permit was no night riding and no passengers. You don't even have to be supervised. Then when you learn, just go down to the DMV and take the riding test and you're kosher for ever. There's no reason not to get a permit or license.

Quick Reply: License ?