Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Let's talk about the SV650s

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk about the SV650s

So I took the brother's '05 SV650sout for the first time today and put about 75 miles on her(she only has 750ish now). I was just seeing how another bike felt, so I went on a bunch of different roads. (Highway, Twisties, Rain, 270degree On-Ramps, Gravel..lol)

1) The stock suspension on those things are soooo soft. Where's this track monster people rave about?? [&:]
2) Front Brakes felt spongy.
3) Rear brake works awesome
4) Really like the feedback on a bike without the steering dampner.
5) Weary about that skinny back tire. Doesn't leave much room for body position error.
6) Nice power. Its always there... I would describe it as "quick" not "fast".
7) The v-twin motor is Extremely quiet. (Makes me paranoid, that nobody hears me)
8) Could ride the thing all day and never even new I got on a motorcycle.

My final thoughts on the bike: It would be an amazing bike with a different set of tires and new suspension all the way around.

What have you guys heard or know about the SVs ??

Here's a picture of the bike:
Name:  IMG_0527.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  69.2 KB

Old 04-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Default RE: Let's talk about the SV650s

I think they are a nice vtwin. Nice for someone looking for sport touring, giving good angles of both genres.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Banned

Buddy, they are bullet proof and obviously, we're not talking racing a stock SV. It's a solid race bike when built. As it sits it will hard, too. I ripped one to shreds seemed like it) last year.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Banned

I don't know this bike personally, but it belongs to a racer on another forum...

This has an F3 front end (racetech valves), an F3 swingarm and a GSXR1000 body kit. Plus you can see all the little googies, Woodcraft rearsets/clip-ons, subframe work, etc.

Name:  SV_minitwin_silver_1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  62.7 KB

They're so popular because you can pick one up, fully fitted with racing components and safety wired for around $3000. That means for $3000 you could literally go straight to the track (provided you had your safety gear) on a bike that will run hard and look great. The SV's race in a few different categories and will perform well in any one with a good rider.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:51 AM

The looks are atrocious

Edit: The stock looks at atrocious. That track bike is fine.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Banned

Check this out... tell me this isn't a race bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAOczPFKTjY

Old 04-27-2008, 02:10 AM

^^ ok, it isnta race bike. lol

Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Banned

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Yer not supposed to call a mans bluff!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like em, took the previous model for a spin & have a few friends that own em & love em.
Got to remember that your looking at a basics bike, built to a budget. Fixing the front suspension is as easy as fitting a couple of space washers at the top of the spring (how many depends on how firm you want it). Considering the price, you can spend a little of the money you saved, on tweaking the thing, like thicker oil in the forks & after market pipes etc. The standard tyres are alright to I reckon. But the biggest buzz is wringing the neck of this wonderfull little V twin, through the twisties its FUN, God, you don't even have to back the bugger off in apex's, just point & squirt.
There are a lot of bikes out there that will never be ridden to their full potential, with the SV's you can. Their easy to work on, bit thirsty when you give it the berries. I like the look of them, they kind of remind me of the Ducati 750SS, (remember them?, nah, not old enough).
In the twisties, where power & top speed don't matter they hold their own. I like the SV1000 as well, but they have bottom end that will scare the crap out of you, if you punch to hard in a corner.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 AM
VP

A buddy of mine went to some track down in south Georgia (can't remember off the top of my head) with his 04 1000RR.... He'd been to 5-6 track days so far and was way beyond being an amatuer. Anyways, he was going around a turn and a guy on an SV650 comes around him on the outside with one hand on the ground and kept passing people over and over again like that. The only time people would even touch him was on the straight aways. He was running literally 13 seconds faster than my friend's 1k on a 2 minute track.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about the SV650s