Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

lend me a minute of your time....opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lend me a minute of your time....opinions needed

so my g/f has always been into art, but recently has taken up some art classes at the local community college. my personal opinion of her artwork is that its good enough to sell! she has an amazing ability! some of the stuff she draws is solely off memory, while other stuff is right in front of her. i figured i'd post some pics of her artwork and get peoples opinions on here as to whether or not you think her stuff is good enough to see at, lets say.....a art show here localy. would you pay money for a picture/painting? im not talking about $150 or anything like that. she doesnt think her artwork is anything spectacular, though i stress otherwise!

she's also going to be drawing/painting a pic of me on my F4i dragging knee (pic is on left in my sig). she said if i'd be patient, she'd really go all out w/ it and put alot of effort/time into perfecting it. so, what i was thinking is...........depending on how the painting comes out (and if she agrees to this, obviously) if anyone had a photo of their bike or a photo of them at a trackday and would want a painting of it, i can see if she'd be up to doing them aslong as the person covers shipping it and some money for her time (i've seen her do her schoolwork paintings and its pretty time consuming and she truely puts alot of effort into them). i havent run this past her yet, but i know she enjoys sitting down and drawing/painting and if people were giving her a little $ depending on pic and detail, she'd probably be all for it.

here are some of her paintings/drawings from her class, all of which were assingments. what do you think, i'd like some honest opinions.

Name:  1205081026.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  51.9 KB
Name:  PictureorVideo003-2.jpg
Size:  100.7 KB
Name:  PictureorVideo004-2.jpg
Size:  87.6 KB
Name:  PictureorVideo005-3.jpg
Size:  82.9 KB
Name:  PictureorVideo006-2.jpg
Size:  78.2 KB
Name:  PictureorVideo007-1.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Old 12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lend me a minute of your time....opinions needed

crap

lol jk it's pretty good

Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM

Nothing I would pay money for, but it looks as tho she may have a good future in art. Keep supporting and encouraging her.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 PM

IMO, shes got talent. But I dont know if shes ready to start taking orders for $$. There is always someone out there that will feel differently but I said, IMO. hehe

I think she doesnt have real solid lines.. if you know what I mean.. Not too realistic if thats what she is shooting for. Looks like she had shading down.. but her perspective seems a tad off... The (self?) portrait seems off.. same with the others.. but tell her to keep it up practice makes perfect.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 PM

she has just started messing w/ painting. she's been drawing a while now though. and as i said, she's way better than these. these are simply class assignments. i think her other stuff is in her portfolio, which she took to class today.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Jay if i had any real idea i would tell you. I know nothing about art, i cant even draw a stick man right. The only thing i can say is she obviously has some talent. Honestly if i were walking around a shop and saw that top painting for sale at like $20 i would buy it. If it were $100 i would keep walking. Im sure this dont help at all, but i do think she has some talent, and i like some of the work.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:14 PM

thanks TK (the top one is one of my favs), and thanks everyone else.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 PM

she had me until the portrait.

the architecture drawing is great, the angles are all aligned and it really shows the depth. i realize the colored drawings are more abstract, but its a cool fusion of reality and abstract, like some times your eyes catch something thats really on and looks lifelike, but that flows into something that "can't be".

I like it.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert, Jay, but she certainly has a range of talent - not many artists have skills in drawing different things, like buildings/self portraits/still life etc.
I'd suggest that maybe you have her draw your painting with the knee down, or even a 'still life' of the bike, and post it up.
It'd then be easier to judge her skills in the 'mechanical' discipline.
She certainly has a lot more talent than I do - Teeks is Michaelangelo compared to me.....

Quick Reply: lend me a minute of your time....opinions needed