Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

legal age

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legal age

No not for that......

But for riding a bike (wherever you are). and any restrictions prior to passing any tests? what test sdo you have to do?

just curious

Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: legal age

In N.S.W (New South Wales) Australia it's 16.9 months for a permit, have to do multiple questions on road rules on computer to get the permit. Then attend a riding programe, then pass the proficency riding test. At 17 you then have two sets of "P" plates (Provisional) Red, then Green, with different speed limitations, 90 kph & 100 kph respectively. restricted to power to weight ratio of bikes. eg, Suzuki GS500 and the like, Unless your mature age, 30, (so I guess they figure your half dead anyways). or if have another license (car), that you have held for at least two years. Not allowed to carry a pllion, and if tested must have a zero blood alcohol reading. And they have just started drug testing (now we have booze buses & drug buses). & you can't lose more than 3 demerit points. eg exceeding the speed limit by less than 15 kph =2 points.
Guess it's pretty tuff in it. (Considering that if you where to go for a car license, you can jump into your dads Porche or V8 4x4) But we motorcyclists are used to lifes inconsistancies, like having to remove your helmet before going into a bank or servo, nothing about wearing a balaclava or ski mask. Love those little signs with helmet and red line going through it.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 AM

wow does sound pretty tough. if you need living proof at 4? i am seriously more than half dead most of the time

Old 08-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

when i got my permit (age 21) i walked into dmv took my DL written test (one side) and my M1 permit test (one side) done in like 10 minutes walked out of there legally able to ride a motorcycle.. funyn thing is i had my permit for about 2 months before i even got my own bike. i just got it because my brother and all my friends rode .. only restrictions for me untill i get the licence (probably take teh msf course) is i cant ride @ dark, with pass, or on the freeway and i have broken all those except the pass rule.. after i take the course and pass i dont have any restrictions... its kinda scary though that i was able to just walk in take a written test (which i didnt even study for) and walk out and i could legally ride a motorcycle.. what type of people are we just letting on the roads lol

Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM

Florida - If you are under 21, you MUST take the MSF course. If you are over, you can get a permit, woth restrictions and then have 90 days to take the test at the DMV. If you fail the riding, you fail. Then you have to do it all over.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

16 but need parents permission. then 18

Old 08-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

16 but need parents permission. then 18 in wisconsin

Old 08-31-2006, 10:27 PM

In Illinois, you have to be atleast 18. You take a written test to get your permit and ride on for 3 months but its not mandatory to ride on it. You can go back the next day and take the riding test in the parking lot and if you pass you are legally able to ride a motorcycle anywhere at anytime with anyone.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 PM

From Australia, NSW. 16.9 months for L's, for 3 months, 12 months for P's. restrictions based on power to weight for L and P platers. that means that it is possible for an 18 year old to be riding a litre bike or a 'busa or watever they want. pretty scary. but i think that becaue we have to do two practical courses ( one before you can get your L's, and one before you can get your P's) that its probably one of the toughest places to have your full license. its good, and i think the compulsory couses are really good.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:02 PM

Cheers guys, in the uk you can ride 50cc at 16 and anything (after the tests) from 17. there has been changes in the law since i did my test which was a 20 min ride round with the examiner on foot ( make the bast... run i say! ) Now there is CBT (compulsory bike test) a slow speed ride round obstacles in a car park, a written test and then a road test.

Quick Reply: legal age