Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

leather suit questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather suit questions

i am planning on going to the track in a month or so and am going to buy a leather suit. i can get a frank tomas 1 peice for 250 through work so i figure i would go with the 1 peice.

i have never worn leather and have no idea how to fit one or get in and out.

it should be like a second skin right? very snug?

now i am woundering as i have never tried one on, how the hell do you get out? i am somewhat clastrphobic and i can not see how you can pull your arm out. do you pull the sleeve inside out and yank?

also i am some what fatg 195 at 5 foot 9 am i going to look like a complete moron in one? should i wear something over it?

what do you wear under it? i cant see clothing being comfortable under it.

any info on this would be great thanks

Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Default RE: leather suit questions

I think wearing underarmor is fairly common isnt it? That would probably make getting in and out a bit easier.
And i'm sure everyone looks goofy walkin around in them, probably better on the bike.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:01 AM

i just realized the sleeves zip to make them wider it looks like. i was woundering how the heck you get your hand out of that lol.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:14 AM

I wear a long sleeve dry fit type shirt (similar to Under Armour, moisture wicking) and it makes getting in and out of the suit SOOOOOO much easier than before (just a regular t-shirt). You put one shoulder in at a time, and jump around while whacking your arms around to get in/out...haha.

Yes, you want it to be snug as possible w/o cutting off circulation. It is your second skin and you want it snug to avoid the armor from moving around and you don't want too many wrinkles in the leather (from being too big) as they could catch if you slide and cause you to tumble. When standing upright, it may be a little tight and you may have restricted movement, especially in the arm in the upwards direction (for me, anyways), but more importantly, when in riding position it is comfortable.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a A* 2pc and i always wear a pair of mesh-type Starter pants under them w/ a white tshirt under the jacket. i get mine on/off fairly easy. as said before, you want it tight, if its loose and you DO come off the bike, those wrinkles WILL pinch the hell out of your skin while sliding. As for comfort, it'll grow on you. you'll begin to only want to wear THAT when you ride. makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and safe . i generaly HATE mine when i 1st put it on, but after about 10mins on the bike it just feels.....right. its settled on me, i guess you'd say, and i become comfortable as could be.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 AM

I think a 2 piece if more practical if your only doing one or two trackdays. Anything more serious and a 1 piece would be the better option.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:19 AM

well this year due to my accident, geting ready to go to college, new job i am only going a few times. next year i plan on going a lot, plus like i said i can get a 1 peice frank tomas suit for something like 250 through work so a 1 peice will come in handy.

when you are at the track inbetween sessions do you have time to change in and out of your leathers so you dont die waiting to go back out?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM

between sessions just unzip and pull your arms out of the top part, should be enough for you to survive haha

Old 06-28-2008, 01:07 PM

I advise once you know that you are going to go with what ever suit...buy it early. Put it on and ride around. Get use to the feeling. It will be completely different. A good suit is design to stop undesired movements that you might be dependent on to ride. As far as getting in and out of them... Underarmor does the trick for me. The suit is going to be a little tight at first untilit breaks in but thats normal. Usually, I will wear shorts, under armor, alpine bionic back brace beneath my 1-piece.

Finally, I will end by saying...if you plan on going to the track alot invest in Quality gear. Don't go cheap just because you can't afford it 'right' now. You will be riding at higher speeds, more ashaplt to slide across, working on new techniques and possibly riding over your ability while doing so. Most trackdays will rent suits for 75 bucks or so with a damage deposit. Goodluck and have fun!

Old 06-28-2008, 01:51 PM

underarmor type stuff is a huge help. my weight fluctuates alot during the year. 3 months ago I was at 195, currently I am at 177. You will be fine, nobody cares anyway.

definatly wear it and get it broke in before you go to the track. a new suit will be very uncomfortable, but after its broke in will fit like a glove.

also, dont cheap out too much. you dont have to go out and get a $1k suit, but be weary of the Frank Thomas stuff. I almost bought one last year just cause it was cheap, and I needed a new one quick and cycle gear had one in my size on the shelf locally. but I did some research and determined their was no way I was going to wear it and have a piece of mind. Frank Thomas stuff is notorious for ripping apart when hitting the asphalt. for slightly more you can get a good quality Tecknic Chicane suit. I seen them newa while backat newenough or somewhere else for less than $350

Quick Reply: leather suit questions