Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Learning Groups for new riders

Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning Groups for new riders

This is for those new riders who may have ridden with other riders before, but still have not gone out with different groups who might have quite a different riding style. ok so your going to meet up with some people who have been riding together for years and they can read each other like a book. how do you fit in?? well the first thing to do is get to talking with them and learn their hand signals... I.E. Cop, Passing, Need Gas or just to pee, ect. once you establish a clear communication then its ride time. the best thing to do is stay back for a bit learn their styles. if they ride too slow for you then relax and give it time. watch how they use their body language to communicate things that were not brought up in the initial talk. now one of they start off riding in a style you don't feel comfortable with..I.E. going to fast taking risks that you are not willing to take. then tell them your not comfortable. most groups will not get offended by this. they would rather you speak up then go beyond your limits.each group has a leader, one who usuallyends up with the task of choosingwhere you are going the route you take and how fast you are going to go (in most cases speed is not an issue ride at your own pace).time to pass some of the slower crowd and twist thethrottle careful not to exceedyourlimits (*Note I said your limit not the bikes),
take the time to pass in a safe manor.get to the front and have fun... intersections.. most if not all groups will wait at major intersections for slower riders to catch up so be courteous and wait. these few steps can help you from makingbig mistakes that couldresult in a bad ride

If I have left anything out. please feel free to add to this
and keep the shiny side up...

Old 01-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Default RE: Learning Groups for new riders

Yeah +1 on the waiting for slower riders. The group I ride with has some slower riders but we let them know that we would rather wait for them than for them to ride over thier heads. We tell them that if they lose sight of us just keep going straight. If we are going to turn we wait there.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:24 PM

Actually you forgot to tell them to get out infront, ride as fast as you can and DEMAND some respect![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-06-2007, 04:05 AM

well put.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 AM

Another good one is to have an experienced rider at the back of the group in case something happens and also to let the newbies know what they may be doing wrong, if anything.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:50 PM

My riding group is invisible and they do whatever I tell them to. I just hope I don't ever crash because they're also pretend so they will not be much help if I go down. =/

Old 01-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Retired Moderator

I have a group of friends that ride like there are hell hounds on their trail. They are all faster, more experienced riders than me, and they tell me just to ride my ride because we are all going to get to the same place within a minute of eachother anyway. When I have tried to ride to their level, I've given myself an overwhelming nauseous filling in the pit of my stomach.