Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Lane splitting!? This scares me to death - video

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Lane splitting!? This scares me to death - video

I was looking up Ohio's laws about lane splitting and all I could come up with is this: "Not addressed in codes or statutes" - does this mean It could be not illegal or legal!? That would be nice.. any thought on this?? I wouldnt be doing it like the guy in the vid.. I imagine this is your everyday ride for you California riders. pretty scary gotta say.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

Yea.. Even if it was legal here in Phx. I don't know that I would... Waaaay to many variables I can't control. Although it would be nice to skip the traffic. I don't feel like bein the filling in a peterbilt and jetta sandwich.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 AM

video is double speed, so where traffic is crawling I would not consider it crazy at all.

hmm AZ drivers dont know how to react, and will F with you though, and might shoot if you smack their mirror off.

to me the time saved would not be worth the karma of scratching peoples cars... unless traffic is literally not moving.

edit; you will eventually take someones mirror off...

Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Here in Italy drivers will actually move over to let us by. It is quite nice.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Topic comes up alot. Yea I don't do it and wouldn't in anything less than some kind of emergency.

No matter when or how you do it, you have to allow responsibility for your life to be directly held in the hands of others.

I just don't do that. I trust no one on the road ever, and I expect everyone to do something stupid. That's takes lane splitting out of the realm of possibly on both of those.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Not here. I have no emperical data, but it feels more dangerous here NOT to lane split. The ICG (Idiot Cager Guild) seems to go ballistic when you sit in the traffic here in Italy. All drivers expect bikes/scooters to filter to the front.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM

I can count on one hand how many times I have lane split but every time it was on the highway where two cars are holding up traffic by taking up both lanes and driving the same slow speed. I can only hold back for so long before saying "screw it". Safe? No not really but super satisfying lol

Old 08-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Video was sped up... i live in cali and lane split everyday... ive only hit one mirror and thats because my girlfriend decided to get more comfortable... didnt do any damage to either theres nor mine... just tapped it...

Last edited by gotcbr; 08-28-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: content
Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM

Lane splitting here in NY is covered under Reckless Driving which is 5 pts and suspension. Im pretty sure its the same for most other states. A cop told me that if you cross lanes more than 5 times then its considered reckless...

I lived in the city for 20 years and I am guilty of lane splitting because if your on a bike cabs and douchebags just drive up next to you push you out like your not even there so I do it more for my own safety. I almost got ran down plenty of times.Plus on a 90 degree summer day, you get to your destination faster. But I moved upstate where things are calm and less.... CITY! so there really is no need to ride the center divider.

if you talk to cops and give them a good reason which is safety from douchebags, they would understand, ive gotten out of tickets plenty of times because cops understand to an extent(as long as your not riding like an a**hole). I mean you have to have a clean record to back it up tho which i do

Last edited by 74demon; 09-19-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: language
Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Muppet of the month August 2012 ROTM

I used to lane share everyday in Cali ...........its an everyday thing and the drivers are used to it therefore some are more aware then others. you will always have that douche bag that doesn't care.

Quick Reply: Lane splitting!? This scares me to death - video