Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

landlord trampiling upon my rights

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: landlord trampiling upon my rights

I had to put up with some bull**** from a previous landlord, he went ape**** because I backed the uhaul up to the front door for loading **** in when I moved out. He said he was going to make me pay for any damage that may have been made to the septic system underground if any. Unfortunately he didn't notify in the lease that vehicles were not allowed on the grounds because of underground structures so there was no way for me to know.

Basically they have to include ALL the rules they expect you to follow and leave no room for "guessing." If you signed a document stating you have read the rules and regulations in which there was a thing about guns then he may have you in a bind but those things are made to avoid all possible loopholes so both parties understand all the terms of the contract. If the words "firearm, gun, weapon, etc." don't appear anywhere on any documents you have signed as read and understood then he's got nothing.

Course, like the other poster said he could flip and become a complete stickler about things but it comes back to the lease...the word complaint: "too many weeds" can be a little vague and you could contest to that if he had some kind of issue about the yard. Hardly is that a cause for eviction tho, I'm sure the judge would laugh in his face if you took it to court.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:11 PM

No need to make any enemies or **** him off unless you want to, and who would want that. I can see 100% where you are comming from. I have scads of weapons of every sort in my home, and if a weapon is not on my hip, it is in a safe or secured, thats 100% safety, but I have three boys, but still, ole muphy strikes at will, you never know. Heres my recomendation. I use a sentry hand safe on my nightstand, it opens by placing your hand in a handgroove and keying a sequence of buttons pre-set by you to be as easy or complicated as you want to make it. Even in the dead of the night and half asleep, you simply reach over and your hand fits on top of the safe into the grooves and the pads are at your finger tips. The safe is relatively tamper proof, meaning no kid can get into it, but 10 minutes and a claw hammer could. Its not a vault, just a safe storage option for quick access. Also, is about the size of a shoebox, and it costs less than 100.00. If you don't want to spend that kind of cash right now, a simple 2$ firearm lock available in any sporting goods store or free from many organizations will sufice to keep the weapon "safe" You still have quick access and it makes your landlord happy. I don't agree with your landlord, but everyone is soooo sue happy over anything that you could almost bet on someone facing a lawsuit if your weapon was ever used/abused, hes just trying to make sure its not him getting on the wrong end of it. I keep my firearms pretty discreet, I wouldn't leave out my heater so joe blow the repair man could see what I have just laying around anyway.Do you have a CCW? Reason I ask is that when no-one is home, where is the pistol if its not on you, doesn't sound like its secured from theft and future use in the wrong hands. Please don't tell me it's "Hidden" in the sock drawer.....

Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: griff4444

SO WHY DIDNT YOU SHOOT THEM
JK
THAT SUCKS BUT I DONT THINK THEY CAN BE SUED WE USED TO RENT A HOUSE TO SOME PPL AND WE NEVER KNEW THAT THE COPS WERE OVER THERE UNLESS SOMEONE TOLD US
Kids that use all caps need to be shot, quit fukking yelling.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 PM

idk if this has been said yet (i didnt feel like readin all the replies), but i would just put it in a shoebox or somethin under ur bed.
that way if they do come back in, it isnt just layin out (y did u leave it layin out when they were coming anyway?) and if they say somethin tou about it u can ask them why theyre going thru ur boxes.
i think that should be good enough personally

Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am with Shocktroop on this one. Leaving it just lying around while they do 'work' is asking for trouble. Surprised the bastard did not just take it. Fortunately for you even though you are 'living under his roof' you only have to abide by what is in the lease. Still, no need to cause grief if you can avoid it. Landlord/tenant disputes (even if you are in the right) are just bitches to go through. Do whatever it takes to appease him then never leave it 'out' when they are there.

Sounds like you have been having a crappy week or so ... sorry dude ... it'll get better. Just don't do anything stupid ... take a deep breath and vent here if ya need to.

Good luck bro!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Anyone can sue anybody...but that doesn't mean the suit will not be thrown out, unless the landlord is negligent, which he is not. If anything, the landlordcould be considered at fault if he required you to lock up your gun and you did not have it to defend yourself. Ask him to provide a letter stating that in the event you are hurt or killed by a home invader, he is responsible for providing $1 million dollars to you or your family. Better yet, require him to post a $1 million dollar bond to that effect to be held in escrow, assure him that he can keep the interest.
that is a good idea ill bring that up if they say i have to put it in the safe.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

No need to make any enemies or **** him off unless you want to, and who would want that. I can see 100% where you are comming from. I have scads of weapons of every sort in my home, and if a weapon is not on my hip, it is in a safe or secured, thats 100% safety, but I have three boys, but still, ole muphy strikes at will, you never know. Heres my recomendation. I use a sentry hand safe on my nightstand, it opens by placing your hand in a handgroove and keying a sequence of buttons pre-set by you to be as easy or complicated as you want to make it. Even in the dead of the night and half asleep, you simply reach over and your hand fits on top of the safe into the grooves and the pads are at your finger tips. The safe is relatively tamper proof, meaning no kid can get into it, but 10 minutes and a claw hammer could. Its not a vault, just a safe storage option for quick access. Also, is about the size of a shoebox, and it costs less than 100.00. If you don't want to spend that kind of cash right now, a simple 2$ firearm lock available in any sporting goods store or free from many organizations will sufice to keep the weapon "safe" You still have quick access and it makes your landlord happy. I don't agree with your landlord, but everyone is soooo sue happy over anything that you could almost bet on someone facing a lawsuit if your weapon was ever used/abused, hes just trying to make sure its not him getting on the wrong end of it. I keep my firearms pretty discreet, I wouldn't leave out my heater so joe blow the repair man could see what I have just laying around anyway.Do you have a CCW? Reason I ask is that when no-one is home, where is the pistol if its not on you, doesn't sound like its secured from theft and future use in the wrong hands. Please don't tell me it's "Hidden" in the sock drawer.....
I dont have a handgun, im only 20 so i cant use one for home defense, and i would get one of those fingerprint locks if they had them for shotguns... besides, shotguns are better for home defence than handguns imo.

i would have a ccw but in alameda county it is near impossiable.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 PM

and it wasnt a repair man it was the land lord, i was present. ussaly it is coverd by a sheet and just looks like an extra sheet on the side of the bed but i cleaned it and moved the sheet.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Dude why the hell would you leave your gun out in plain sight for them to see if you knew they were coming in your house?!

Sounds like you messed up yourself. Even if it is within your rights, these are total strangers that could've stolen it or used it against you or whatever....

BTW I sleep with a shotgun next to my bed so I see where you're coming from but come on. Don't let anyone know you're packing

Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Adionik

Dude why the hell would you leave your gun out in plain sight for them to see if you knew they were coming in your house?!

Sounds like you messed up yourself. Even if it is within your rights, these are total strangers that could've stolen it or used it against you or whatever....
i said like 3 times already they are my land lords... i doubt they would steal anything lol.

Quick Reply: landlord trampiling upon my rights