Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Kids first ride ?? How old ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kids first ride ?? How old ??

I've got plenty of time to gear up, considering he isn't even born ! Any other pics/stories of little stickies (kids) on two wheels ? Was kinda thinking about getting him started early w/one of those electric pocket bikes. Maybe limiting the speed at first, training wheels, that sort of thing. Duct tape him to the bike if he can't hang on !! J/K !!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:01 PM

Congrats on your first! Kids are great!

I gave my Grandson his first ride on my Beemer on his 2nd birthday. He sits on the tank between my arms, holds onto a couple bolts I put thru my tank camera mount and plants his feet on my thighs.

I putt around the neighbor hood in first gear and he waves and say's Hi to everybody we see.
He especially loves going round and round the cul de sacs. Kid is a natural. He gets pissed when I pull back into the garage and the ride is over.

Can't really give him a ride like that on the CBR. I'd squash him.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Well, my nephews were 3 and 4 (maybe 2 and 3) when we bought them their first dirt bike. Little honda 50cc. Its got training wheels on it, although the younger one could probably do better without them, the older one doesn't seem to be taking to it as quickly. Its also has a throttle limiter on it, only allowing them to use the first 25% of the throttle, came standard on the little honda. They have had their share of spills, usually just tip overs trying to do a turn while going down a hill, low speed colisions, nothing really major. They love it to death. I would just mind the environment, limit the ammount of things they can hit, and they should be fine. I saw this horrible flic on americas funniest video of like a 5 yr old on a dirtbike that drove into a parked truck, and caught the tailgate that was down right in the teeth. I didn't find it funny at all. Just watch out for things like that. I also would not let them on the road until they were 18.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:55 PM

Thanks all for the congrats !! I think i saw that clip too, of the kid/truck gate. I think the real problem was the lack of a helmet tho, don't cha think ? He will be geared head to toe on anything w/a motor. My dad let me start driving when i was 12 (country roads) when we went boating, or out shooting. By the time i was 15 and took a driving test i had been behind the wheel for years, and it made it a whole lot easier i think. Took my test in pops camero ! I just think getting em started early will help, safety wise, in the future. Going to get him started w/flight training early too. Maybe around 10-11. I took my first flight at 12..... didn't get my private pilots ticket till 24, but Coop (my kid) won't have to wait like i did.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM

congrats on putting the stem on the apple. i started my son at 3. much to my wifes disaproval.but now he's 5, and she loves to watch him ride.like everyone said gear is the most important thing ! honda has a class in some local areas to teach rider saftey to young riders.
http://powersports.honda.com/the_rid...raining&bhcp=1

Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 PM

my kid started at 5.when he hit 1st grade I would take him to school on my bike lol.He was geared though and he was small so he sat infront between me and the gas tank.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:36 PM

Our son Zach started riding at 7, Santa got him a chinese 90cc dirt bike ($250 brand new from ebay $245 shipping) and all the gear (boots, paded pants, paded shirt, chest protector, gloves, helmet and gogles) He hated wearing all that stuff at first but once he rode the bike he wouldn't take the stuff off. His first crash was kinda funny he cought the brake lever on the fence and made him fall. We all rushed over to him and he was Ok just crying alot. I told him it's time to take a braek and will crying he said I want to keep riding dad. He is 9 now and he just got a KX110, huge difference in quilty than the other bike but, he got most of the crashes out on the cheap one

Old 11-08-2006, 01:00 PM

Thanks again guys, for all the positive replys !! Anyone had ANY good luck w/the lil cheapy pocket bikes ? I know you get what you pat for, but was just wondering about using one as a sacrafice bike you know ? Let him beat the **** out of it and throw it away when he gets better. Have been seeing an online ad for $179 for a little turd of a bike. http://www.minipocketrockets.com/

Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM

I'm not sure on those little pocket bikes. I would consider starting him out in the dirt then moving to asphalt. 1. Hes gonna dump it, guaranteed. 2. when he does go down grass or dirt will be more forgiving and gentle. 3. Dirtbikes can take a fall road bikes reallly cant, so him and his bike might be a little safer. Just some food for thought.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:21 PM

The one we got wasn't really a pocket bike it was a chinese knock off of a Yamaha pw90. It's called a PY90 it's been a great bike for the price, 4 speed simi auto trans 90cc the only problem we have had is once he could ride in the sand dunes the rear tire would throw sand in the airbox. Very bad design for the air inlet hole, any how sand made it to the engine and scratch the cylinder. He liked it better then because it smoked like the other bikes. Alot of the bolts come loose often is about the only other problem we have had.

I bought a cylinder and head kit and fixed the bike I also added a pipe and cone filter to it. Once again the sand made it passed the filter and now it smokes again. I havn't seen the same bike for sale on E-bay anymore though.

Quick Reply: Kids first ride ?? How old ??