Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Kids first ride ?? How old ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids first ride ?? How old ??

My first, a boy (thank you very much!) is due soon ! When did you guys first put your kid on a moving bike? (yours or their own) Please...... PLEASE, no "don't do it" advice !! Just wanting to hear about others stories...thanks.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Default RE: Kids first ride ?? How old ??

I think i was in 1st grade, when my parents first let my cousin take me on a ride but this was like farm land, where there were no cars that could hit us. I personally wouldnt let my kid ride on a bike till about the age of 18 on the streets. If it would be farmland, whenver they want to cause it is much safer, being away from cars.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:54 AM

Congrats on the new arrival...
I just got my son a gas powered 4 wheeler when he was 4..his birthday just passed so he is 5 now but some concerned parent told me it was a bad idea because something about speed and depth perception at a young age.
I made sure he is geared head to toe and ya know what...he absoultley loves it...so i would say 4 unless of course your son is born gifted and can ride at 3...LOL...i would say 4..

4 wheel fun
More 4 wheel fun
And ..one more
Happy Faces

Now of course my parental insticnct kicked in when he flipped it over turnin to sharp but since that day..he hasnt done anything but gotten better and i purchased one too so its something we do together.

So best of luck with the new rrival F1kr..

Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Make sure you print those out and stick em up on the paddock wall when he's running in GP. ;-)

Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Thanks freak ! Thats just the stuff i was lookin for. Stopped at a shop the other day that sells the pocket bikes and they had a rack of lil tiny helmets... so f-en cute ! I almost bought a bike, helmet, the whole thing !! Had the spouse put her belly on the seat of the 1k so i could have a pic of him on a bike even before he was born

Old 11-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Retired Moderator

I am interested in getting my kids a dirt bike to share (ya, right). I am not 100% though. I have a customer whose 11-12 year old son was riding quads. Last year they were camping, and he took off without his helmet, crashed and had the bike roll on him and crush his head. He died. I think about these things when it concerns my kids and makes me re-think getting them started in something that could turn into an addiction which is on the edge of the safety spectrum. Hard call!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM

I started riding two wheels very young. I have a neice that races motocross, ranked 3 in our state. She loves it!! I would say 4 or 5 is a good age to start. She is 7 now clearing 15ft doubles!! We start with training wheels until balance is gained. And DEFINATELY spend some dough on nice gear. If they crash you gotta make sure they get back on or they could develope a fear of the bike. She(neice) broke her arm in a race a while back and was racing again within a week, cast and all!! Cant wait til' I have a boy, Congrats!!

Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 PM

Ya know its just like anything else..acceptable risk...my son went over the first day tryin to turn too fast..but we had a class after that kinda sorta explained to him what he did wrong..and this was in the lawn...then a week later he went over on pavement which scared the bejeezus out of me but having gear on saved him..we talked about that one too..turning to sharp and the pavement monster got to him...but then again the lil one i bought for my son has a throttle stop on it...so it can only go so fast...and a disconnect we wire to his boot..but i do stress the importance of wearing gear everytime we go out...and he sees me always wearing my helmet on my RR so...its all about how well we teach them ...thats the bottom line...some people think its a bad idea but to hear his laugh when we are tearing up the back yard....priceless...my 2 cents ...again...LOL

Old 11-02-2006, 04:11 PM

I've always had something with 4 wheels. My first 2 wheels is 17...they hate it.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:44 PM

My dad had plans for me to get a sport bike when I was 17 almost 18 when I saw some squid wreck very messylike and die. Kind of lost interest in getting a bike for a while so I ended up getting my bike for my 20th Bday isntead.

Quick Reply: Kids first ride ?? How old ??