Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The key to being happy ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The key to being happy ...

I noticed a lot of you are feeling down and unhappy lately and some are looking for "inner peace" ..well inner peace and being happy are kinda the same things ... if you are happy you have inner peace and if you have inner peace you are generally happy.

One of the main keys to happiness is to actually appreciate what you have ... the trouble with the world today is it sees happiness as what you achieve and what you own ..your image and your money have become the goals for happiness and its all wrong!!

Some people have everything, beautiful big houses, fast cars and bikes and plenty of status and money in the bank but they are often totally miserable and looking for "something" ... they know they should be happy because they have everything the West defines as what makes us happy but the West is wrong!!

Some people have very little and live very simple lives yet are immensely happy, so, something else is going on here ..happiness is actually a state of mind and you wont find it by the accumulation of wealth and status. Some will, theres always sods law but most people who arent happy dont find it by buying it or trying to buy it!!

They say to themselves Oh but I will be happy when I can afford that new car I want or that new bike or I get that bigger house, then I will be happy ..wrong!! .. you will buy it and feel temporary euphoria from the purchase and first few weeks but because you were not truly happy before then you will slide back again.

You have to start appreciating and enjoying what you already have ..sounds simplistic I know and it takes some major reprogramming for people who have been "chasing" happiness through constant material gain which only ever brings short term happiness and has you searching again in no time at all ... once you actually do appreciate what you already have and enjoy it then you will be happy.

It can be anything from appreciating your health, how valuable is your eyesight?? The ability to see beauty in the world ..what if you lost your eyesight?? ..how bad would that be for you and what would you pay to have them back??

I could have £50 million in the bank and it would mean squat if I was blind ... my eyes are all to me and I would rather be poor and able to see than wealthy and blind, we take our sight and our health for granted. We need to slow down and wake up to what is around us, start to "see" again ...

I have seen my own brother with his head in his hands over the stress of running his yacht and the upkeep ..he has lots of money and a nice car but he defines his happiness by the stuff he owns .. I have been on the cliff tops of Pembrokeshire on a sunny day and watched the ocean for a couple of hours in peace and thought to myself it doesnt get much better than this :-)

You have to stop comparing yourself with others too, that is fatal!! ..there will always be greater or lesser than you .. we cant all be the same ..so be happy with who and what you are ..appreciate your own life and health, your ability to go out your door for a walk through the woods on a sunny afternoon ..then when you are happy any acquisition of material wealth on top of this merely enhances your life but is not the reason for your being happy.

Jules

Old 11-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The key to being happy ...

Hi Jules!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Old 11-09-2008, 12:18 PM
RCR

wouldn't this be the place to post this? https://cbrforum.com/m_692590/tm.htm. instead of creating a brand new thread and posting in there to link it to here?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: RCR

wouldn't this be the place to post this? https://cbrforum.com/m_692590/tm.htm. instead of creating a brand new thread and posting in there to link it to here?
I have been writing this one for a while and it was always going to be its own post ..I think it merits its own post :-) ..I simply linked it in HAVOC's thread because I thought this might also help him too ..I just dont see a problem here?? His post seems more about him feeling unsettled without his girl not about general happiness that this post is about.

Jules

Old 11-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Hmm..Impulse buying..It is the worse. I am 18 and im in debt like $25,000 now. It sucks.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: jdschmidt

Hmm..Impulse buying..It is the worse. I am 18 and im in debt like $25,000 now. It sucks.
hey Jason, yes you are right about debt being bad .. when we live beyond our means it creates spiritual unrest in us and leaves us worried or can lead to depression ..so, whereas the aquisition of money and material things wont makes us truly happy if we are not already the reverse is not quite the same ..not having enough to live on can be a real worry and can make us very unhappy ... we should always live within our means and if that means we cant have the lastest plastic missile and have to ride something older then so be it, all comes down to being happy with what you have ... I hope your shoulder is still healing and you feel better!! :-)

Jules

Old 11-09-2008, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: jdschmidt

well you got me owned...i'm like 23k if you count hospital bills lol...without the bills...13k. I'm about to increase that debt by going to school

Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: Juliet

I have been writing this one for a while and it was always going to be its own post ..I think it merits its own post :-) ..I simply linked it in HAVOC's thread because I thought this might also help him too ..I just dont see a problem here?? His post seems more about him feeling unsettled without his girl not about general happiness that this post is about.

Jules
MMMKAY...

I was reading Havocs thread and clicked your link and it was new, so I couldnt figure it out (not knowing it was intended for its ownthread) not that I would of known in the first place either. my badkeep up the good work girl.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM

my badkeep up the good work girl.

Its fine ... thank you RCR :-)

Jules

Old 11-09-2008, 03:27 PM

dude thats ridiculous

Quick Reply: The key to being happy ...