Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

From a Katana to a Buell

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From a Katana to a Buell

So my neighbor just went from a nearly 10 year old Katana to a barely used Buell. His old bike was quick but not fast and he hated it when I would twist the throttle and leave him, embarrassed. Now his Buell XB1200R is literally 2 times as big for engine but still won't really beat me. And will lose 80-100 and 1/4 mile. Maybe since it's a V-twin and has a lot of torque he'll beat me off the line, but after 1 light I will be flying by w/o any problems. I own a Honda and still like other bikes, but I still can't see owning a bike that is that big that won't perform. Must be something in your brain that makes HD/Buell so special and then blind to real performance and price. It's got cool engineering but IMO is ugly and expensive. But he is happy and this will provide many more hours of riding pleasure and make our races closer than they ever were (once my stupid broken foot heals). Anyone want a Katana? HAHA

Old 08-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: From a Katana to a Buell

is it a blast? those things are so ugly, not to mention their association with harleys just doesnt cut it.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:57 PM

No, it's a Lightning XB1200R. Not as slow or ugly as the Blast (b-last) but still not one of the big 4 sportbikes.

On second thought as long as you're on 2 wheels it's fine with me (always think that) but Buell's just aren't for me. It's just odd becasuse he considered a Honda...

Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM

buells are supposedly stand out in the twisties due to all of the mass centralization and low center of gravity i have never ridden one persoanlly but any reviews i have ever read on them has nothing but high praise for their handling characteristics

Old 08-07-2006, 10:19 PM

From what I have heard the buell is very inovative in chassis design. However, they need to dump the HD motor. From what I have heard it is basically unchanged since the sixtys. Thier biggest design improvent is they now have two cams, and a basic fuel injection system. I am not sure that these technological advances even made it to the buell or it could be just a carburated sportster motor. We have been doing most of these things for how long? Thats why they are letting them run in the 600cc ama Class. Not a very proud day for americans when we have to cheat with twice the displacement in order to compete with the japanese. If someone was able to swap in a modern V twin (RC 51, Aprillia, Ducati etc) I personally think they would have a very fun and quite fast sport bike. But that is just my $0.02

Old 08-07-2006, 10:32 PM

I rode it very briefly and it's way different than any jap bike I've ever been on. The motors are FI and the chassis are great in the curves and the bike in general does have some awesome engineering (fuel in frame and oil in the swingarm) but I still just can't past the 1200 just keeping up with a 600 and the looks are kind of bad. Comes down to preference and he loves them. Plus now that he has an American bike and can really keep up with me, he's in heaven.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:29 PM

I actually like the look of the lightning.....I like the idea of twin power....ducati=wow.....but much too much money with the tlr gone we are left with the suzuki sv's ......The buell has a nice aggresive look but the sportster motor makes it not worth the while....the resale is horrible and there is no aftermarket....much happier with my 929....

Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Ok ok where do I start. The Buell...ride one and see. I always liked my CBR, its nimble..responsive....and fast. When I got my 06 XB12s I felt like I had never ridden a motorcycle before ( been riding 10+ years ) I had to re-learn how to ride. The characteristics are just totally different on this bike....I mean I felt like I was sitting on top of a gyroscope Its awesome now...and yes...I get blown by on the e-way by some guy doin 160+. Wow...takes real skill to pin the throttle...tuck....and hold on.[:-]. I mean if thats what you like...then all the power to ya. I prefer streetable power now. I like the torque of my V-twin, the sound, the smelling like exhaust, etc.etc. I miss the speed of my CBR...and may add one to the stable in the future again.

Bottom line..ride what makes you happy, ride what makes you smile when you twist the throttle. Dont ride because of a biased write up in a magazine, or a 1/4 mile time ( unless thats what makes you happy )

Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM

The Buell's are ok IMO, but I have never rode one. I kinda like the way they sound, but I still like an I4 much better. I just don't see the point in making a sport bike with a somewhat out dated HD engine.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 AM

my brother is a die hard sportster guy,he wants a buell so he can go fast and drag knees.i told him to buy any jap sportbike if he wanted to do that and he could do it better and faster and still save a chunk of change in the process.

Quick Reply: From a Katana to a Buell