Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Kai needs some help, dental help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kai needs some help, dental help

OK Kai is a great dog. But taking care of his teeth is a bitch. We brush his teeth regularly. But he's no fan of Greenies or any other biscuit that's supposed to help with dental care.

Anyone got any non-rawhide suggestions? He's not an obsessive chewer, unlike Kia who prolly can chew her way through tinanium... or wear her teeth down trying. But when he does decide to chew on something, he's pretty focused about it.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this:

The vet sent some home with me. It's supposed to help with plaque build up. you mix a little in their food.

Personally I think the whole dental thing is a new way for the vet to extort money from people.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never brushed a dog's teeth and I've had many dogs. I just throw them a marrow bone once in a while or play tug/catch with a toy. (aka goodwill stuffed animals)
My vet says my dogs have great teeth and to keep doing what I'm doing.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Administrator - Retired

Does he have dental problems?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beef knee caps(marrow bones) and elk antlers. vet always compliments Kane's teeth.

Mi madre feeds her shepherds "checkups" teeth chews. they love me, Kane has had a few and likes them. Supposed to help.

Although I do occasionally brush his teeth as well. I'll go on kicks where i'll do it everyday for a week, then we fall off. So its certainly not as consistent as it could/should be.

I use chicken toothpaste and one of those thimble type brushes. He almost enjoys it.

Name:  57845474.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  46.7 KB

Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with bones. I give my dog Lamb/Beef (big) bone cut offs that they sell in supermarkets. I also feed my dog kibble with a little boiled chicken or mince. The meat goes real quick, but she crunches through the kibble. They can build up plaque on the back of their teeth which can cause the dog breath & eventually cavities. The vets can remove it, but they knock the dog out under a general, which is a bit drastic. If I tried to brush my dogs teeth, I reckon she'd take my had off to the wrist. Her mouth is her one "No Go" zone.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 PM

.Yuen is the one worrying bout his teeth. There's a little discoloration which is prolly plaque. I'd say she was imagining things. But Kia is fine and she's the one that's always chewing on something.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my dog is also not very keen to chew. Apart all my new small trees and bushes in the yard LOL

Fresh wood or a branch after playing with it fits well and also he prefers a pulls ***** at least one a day. Doctor said she havent seen that pretty teeth in a while )

But I guess that pulls ***** is a bit small to ur dog...

If he is not a chewer then u just need to look what he prefers.

I tryied bunch of stuff first year and was worried about that too.

I am not very keen to those dental chewings they sell in stores... So I was looking for something natural... Somehow those two things are only ones that work... But hey dogs are different..

Good luck finding something she prefers

Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Administrator - Retired

Kibble and a bone once in a while. If your dog doesn't want to chew on a marrow bone, then thats just odd.lol.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 PM

The 2 nuts have been on kibble for while now. Orijen. I'll try more marrow bones. Only problem is we have to put out like a half dozen at a time.

Kai and Kia are pretty good about everything... Except sharing. Kia is a greedy little bitch. She'll collect all the stuff we put down. Especially if Kai shows interest in it