Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Just A Gripe!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Just A Gripe!!!

I live in Taxachusetts,Where it seems like everything is controlled by BIG BROTHER,and the Safety Police.I've been riding in this state for close to 20 years,and i don't like being told what to do,I.E.Where your seat belt,And a helmet"mind you i would'nt even consider riding without one,Anyway back to the complaint department,Ive had my Cbr 929 for close to 6 years and basically the only thing ive ever had to do to it has been Regular service,and tires and sum appearence details"Sweet"Until i went renew my inspection sticker,this State has Passed another Law tellin me i must have Reflectors on my Whip......Now i bought this bike with an Undertail with intergrated LEDs,flushmounts and a Aftermarket Pipe so it's a pretty nice lookin ride,now i gotta throw reflectors on the front and rear and make all "GOOFY" the next thing this State will make me do is put-em on the wheels like my kids Tricycle.How is Putting Reflectors on making me safer????I have'nt had any in quite a while cause my last 2 bikes did not have-em either and have been O.K...I'm gettin sick of people lookin out for me,if they really wanna help Pay More Attention when operating them God-Dang Volvo's,Beamer's and Hummer's,And Hang up those CELL PHONES,STOP TXTG while driving,and Dont tell me About Safety cause the last thing i need is help from sum guy making Crap Up so he Can keep his job at the People's Expense.....
Feel Free to chime in and I Apologize for takin up space here,But im sure you guy's/gal's feel sumwhat the same way.......And any1 now some cool lookin reflectors and where to get-em pleeze post em up.....

Old 05-19-2009, 10:56 PM

Are you reffering to the stock reflectors?

Did somebody remove yours?

Or are they talking about additional reflectors?

As far as I know, most bikes came with reflectors on the side of the bike, red ones in the back and amber ones in the front. the fron ones usually mounted to the front fender, the back ones usually somewhere close to the passenger pegs.

I almost removed mine, until I pulled into a friends dark driveway one night and he had removed his. there were two other bikes there that had reflectors, and they showed up so much easier, I just left mine on.

Ebay would be a good place to start looking for a set of stock reflectors.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got red ones on the rear of mine, it came with one from new, just under the rear light & above the license plate. I have also attached a few more of the buggers & also attached a few more small circular orange type near the blinkers, so the amplify the turn signal flash. If I ride at night the bastards can at least see me.
But, getting back to your gripe, I put them there, my choice. I can appreciate that with out you doing anything wrong, your bike was legal one day & not the next (I assume it was anyway).
But I know where your coming from, I have mentioned in here the time when the Suzuki SV650 1st came out, in order to pass this states compliance they had to drill & attach a metal tag to the frame with pop rivets & it said "Warning, drilling holes my weaken the frame".

Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 AM

My solution here in VA would be to just NOT inspect it, unless you need it to get on base or something of that nature.

It is barely visible on the fork of a bike anyways - hell, I don't even kill myself to get my automobiles inspected, and that is REALLY visible.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

The next thing the "Worlds Elite" is going to do besides mass control of the population through currency is make you wear reflector tape on your fore-head. The color of the tape will vary depending on your status and level of resource usage.

An actually interesting video...(if you have 2 hours to spend on discovering ideas already implanted in your life)

Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try adding reflecting decals on and see if that would pass. I have seen them on a few bikes. During the day they just look like accents to the stripes aready on the bike, but at night they provide more reflective area than t he lame stock ones do.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You think they're tuff on motorcycle regs?...wait til you want to buy a firearm there! Back on topic... You're state isn't the only one that has strict laws on these type things. Cali is the same way. They routinely harass sportbike riders w/ fix-it tickets, which require an inspection to be cleared up. (yet, it seems they let cruisers go on their merry way)

I'd recommend putting the stock reflectors back on for inspection purposes & then remove them afterwards. If you don't have the stockers or don't want to shop for them, most automotive shops/walmarts/etc, sell stick-ons that are easily removable. You could put a couple of those on the bike for inspection & remove them later. Only trouble w/ removing them is...if you get stopped for any reason by LE, & your reflectors are removed, they may well give you additional tix. Catch-22.

As some have mentioned, being visable is a *good* thing...especially at night. I've been running flush-mount catseye front signals & small plate-mounts for rear signals for a long time. But, doing more night riding lately.... & after having a couple-three close calls w/ ignorant non-attentive cagers, I put short stalk signals on the bike...at least for the time being. Too, I put reflective tape on the rear of my helmet, in cats-eye military style. Previously, my helmet was barely visable from 3 car lengths away. Now, those two little reflective tape strips stick out like crazy after dark...& are definitely visable.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck to you.

Last edited by gotcbr; 05-20-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 PM

I'll have to agree with you and the cagers not paying attention. Even when I am in the car I try not to get too distracted with cell phones or the radio. And I'm about to feel really old for saying this, but younger drivers are driving too damn fast and doing too much for being as inexperienced as they are as drivers. I'm in TN and this graduated license crap was a great idea, but they don't police it. And even then it only applies to night and I'm sure there are plenty of riders gettin crushed during the day. just my .02

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM

I live in Taxachusetts too (6.25% now!). I found a local shop where I walk in, give the guy the money, he gives me a sticker and thats it! He doesnt even look at my bike! Could you also put reflectors on "temporarily"?

Quick Reply: Just A Gripe!!!