Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Just another statistic......

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another statistic......

I got a call yesterday around 4pm of a rider being down about 30 min away from my house. I (owning a truck and a '03 F4i) get called from time to time to lend a helping hand. Unfortunately this time around, I was unavailable to come to the rescue. Long story short, one of my riding buddies knew someone else with a truck and trailer and had it hauled to a friends house for storage. When I saw this '06 GSXR 600, I couldn't believe the kid (who is 18 years old) was still alive and walking.

There were 3 riders in a group hitting a nice twisty road to a local "hang out" spot when he ran it off in a ditch and hit a culvert causing him to fly like superman over the handle bars. The subframe is broke in half and twisted, right clip on is broke in half, tank dented, front wheel completely caved in, and all fairings where broke except for the left side. Engine and main frame are solid. She started right up after sitting upright for a while and was able to put it in gear.

Here's the statistic:
1. 18 year olds
2. Kid owning a GSX-R 600
3. No motorcyle license
4. Insurance in parents name
5. Has been riding for less than 2 weeks
6. Has a 190 rear tire on a 600 (may have been done by previous owner)
7. Only wearing helmet, shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes

He was shaken up pretty bad but got lucky and only landed in a gravel driveway which he didn't slid very far. He's got minor scrapes and one good case of "holy sh*t what just happened!"

Here's your sign.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 AM

wow sounds like he was lucky...

forgive my ignorance but what's the problem with having a 190 tire on a 600? I'm always a fan of putting as much rubber as you can fit on the road (at least from an automotive standpoint).

Old 06-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you go beyond a certain point, more rubber is actually bad !
That 190 would have caused his bike to turn a lot slower into the turns than a 160 or 170 and be "heavy" to turn.
Good that he's OK, now someone go and give him a slap upside his head for being such an idiot.......He just cost his folks a lot of money and heartache.....
He needs to walk for a while...............

Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 PM

LOL at that pic but none of those pointed to the gsxr logo which is not required to be a squid but sure does help the look

Old 06-30-2009, 03:38 PM

its always a gsxr lol

im pretty stoked that I am a honda guy

Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by knb13
wow sounds like he was lucky...

forgive my ignorance but what's the problem with having a 190 tire on a 600? I'm always a fan of putting as much rubber as you can fit on the road (at least from an automotive standpoint).
The tire is round - the contact point is exactly the same. It's tire pressure that will change how much rubber touches the road.

That kid sounds like a classic case of riding outside your abilities - trying to follow his friends when he's a big noob. He should count his blessings and buy some friggin gear.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM

Not to digress, but there is a such a thing as having TOO wide of a tire. Depending on rim size, your tire that came stock is usually there for a reason. Going one size up or down is acceptable but it will change the downforce on the tire as soon as it's place in angled situation, such as a turn. This will change the contact area of the rubber touching the road.

My buddy has a 03 Kawi that has a stock 180 on the rear, so the GIXXER much have been 180 as well (if it's a 6" rim) but doubtful it was 190 stock.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by mr_santini
Not to digress, but there is a such a thing as having TOO wide of a tire. Depending on rim size, your tire that came stock is usually there for a reason. Going one size up or down is acceptable but it will change the downforce on the tire as soon as it's place in angled situation, such as a turn. This will change the contact area of the rubber touching the road.

My buddy has a 03 Kawi that has a stock 180 on the rear, so the GIXXER much have been 180 as well (if it's a 6" rim) but doubtful it was 190 stock.
he already said it coulda been the previous owner... (not to digress...)

Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM

That sucks. I'm 17 with an F4i I bought gear and have been "riding" since December.