Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Joe Satriani vs. Coldplay

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Joe Satriani vs. Coldplay

Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay for plagiarism. Article mentioning the basics and a great youtube video comparing both songs. You be the judge. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this lawsuit.

Rock guitarist Joe Satriani has sued British band Coldplay, accusing the Grammy-nominated stars of plagiarizing one of his songs.

Satriani's copyright infringement suit, filed Thursday in Los Angeles federal court, claims the Coldplay song "Viva La Vida" incorporates "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental "If I Could Fly."
The 52-year-old guitar virtuoso is seeking a jury trial, damages and "any and all profits" attributable to the alleged copyright infringement.
Coldplay, whose soaring atmospheric tunes are often compared to those of Irish rock band U2, received seven Grammy nominations on Wednesday, second only to rapper Lil Wayne.
Among its mentions were nominations in the key record and song of the year categories for "Viva La Vida," which comes from the band's chart-topping album "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends."The song is credited to the band's four members, singer Chris Martin; bass player Guy Berryman; guitarist Johnny Buckland; and drummer Will Champion. The title was inspired by a painting by Mexican artist Frida Kahlo.
The Satriani track comes from his album "Is There Love in Space?" Further comment from Satriani's attorney, or reaction from Coldplay's management was not immediately available.
Here's a video that shows the similaritys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I

Old 12-08-2008, 05:05 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Joe Satriani vs. Coldplay

It's a wonder Oasis didnt steal it from both parties...

Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 AM

ouch

Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 AM
November 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: TheX

ouch
Just kidding man!Seems a pity that a lot of Music today does sound like some one elses riff,solo,intro etc.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Banned

Actually, Satriani's guitar makes that Coldplay song sound awesome. They should have done what Dire Straights did when they recorded "Money for Nothing" and wanted tostealthe "Don't stand soclose to me..."riff fromThe Police and just invitedJoe to play on the song with them. Live and learn...

SatrianiFTW!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:51 AM

They did sound really good together.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Registered Users

that's crazy how close that is....i was thinking how awesome the riff sounded over the coldplay song....

i love satriani and i really like coldplay...where's the love...let's stop bickering and start making beautiful music together...

in all seriousness, like X said, it really is sort of sad now that most "good" music is recycled from older riffs and melody (more so with the hip-hop world which I like as well)....it's not sad in that the good music is getting re-used as i think this happens all the time and always will, but rather there seems to be a creative funk late with new styles and new music coming out....

i won't pretend to be a "musician" anymore, but i played bass guitar when i was younger and played saxophone for many years as well...when i was a kid, i was obsessed with music (still am to some degree) and it seemed like 10 years ago, there were so many new styles and genres popping up all over the place...truly new and interesting things...now it seems like the "new" stuff is just a perversion of what was new 10 years ago....dunno....

what do you music lovers think?

and if you have some truly cool stuff, let me know, i am always up for new things...

btw....some things i have found recently that pleasantly shocked me...Jon Butler Trio and Jamie Liddell

Old 12-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Retired Moderator

Instead of ripping off the whole thing they shouldve just pulled a pdiddy (or whatever he goes by now) move and ripped 8 notes or less off and played them over and over and over. hope Satriani gets paid.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Wow.

...but the real question is: Who the F is Joe Satriani?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 PM

they just had this on the radio a few mins ago overlaping the 2 songs....to me there the same...