Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

IT/Internet Know-It-Alls...Help me

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT/Internet Know-It-Alls...Help me

I just moved into a new apartment. I bought the 12 MB/S internet access for 12 months and it's dirt cheap.

I ran a speed test and got great results

(If you can't see that image is 12,323 kb/s down and 2267 kb/s up)

But the problem is once I click a website, 30-45 seconds goes by with no result then the page times out... if I click it again a few seconds later it opens up in no time at all. What's the deal? How can I make it faster?

BTW, I'm using the cable modem and wireless router I own and used as recently as 2 weeks ago in which I had no problems at all. This is the same thing that happens on every computer in the house (2 laptops and a pc).

Old 05-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Default RE: IT/Internet Know-It-Alls...Help me

what operating system? Ive had problems like that with vista ultimate x64

Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM

You cant make is faster. You're faster than the network the website is part of. Your download speed is too fast for their upload speed. I have cable and cbrforum stills takes a sec to load a page.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:32 PM

1. Who is your isp? Someone (Comcast[sm=boosign.gif]) may be "throttling".

2. What program do you use to surf the internet? If you have a pc, and are using internet explorer, stop it. Right now. Shame on you[sm=nono.gif]. Get Mozilla Firefox, http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Firefox has so many little add ons that you can use to tweak how fast you can view pages, such as my favorite "adblocker" which blocks all ads on pages which significantly reduces load time. Also, once you get it, go to www.metacafe.com or youtube and search "make firefox faster" and there are so many videos that show you how to tweak the program step by step, helped me out a lot.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: ta8218

what operating system? Ive had problems like that with vista ultimate x64
ta8218, there is your problem, Windows.

To the OP, do you have only the one computer connected to the cable modem or do multiple computers connect through a router? If it is the latter then resetting the router may help.

Are all sites you go to that slow?

ETA: blawjr is right, if you are running Internet Exploder, dump it and get Firefox.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: blawjr

Firefox has so many little add ons that you can use to tweak how fast you can view pages, such as my favorite "adblocker" which blocks all ads on pages which significantly reduces load time. Also, once you get it, go to www.metacafe.com or youtube and search "make firefox faster" and there are so many videos that show you how to tweak the program step by step, helped me out a lot.
Or you can download the FasterFox add on and do nothing.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 PM

yea, you could, but i like tinkering

Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice speeds. I get 10/1 and I have the turbo package, but I'm not complaining. I would love to have 2Mb up. Resetting the router will help, but conditions will typically return after time. Make sure you let it sit powerless for about 10 seconds too. Also, as others have stated due to advertisements it requires your browser to retrieve data from several different servers and/or networks so this also slows down connections and page loads.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 PM

i get 19k down here ona wired connection on campus..****s insane. Then wireless in the dorms where everyone is i get what...300?..lol

Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 PM
VP

Well, I got Comcast cable. I have Firefox already and have been using it for years. I've downloaded lots of updates for it, etc. I tried reseting the router, but still got the same problem.

It seems like initially whenever you try to connect to any website there is a huge lag that eventually gets caught up and then you're in business. The problem is that is happens periodically throughout the hour so sometimes you're fine and then sometimes there is that huge lag that stops you in your tracks.

The modem has a button on top that says "standby"... I remember people using that on Halo to cheat and glitch around...does that have anything to do with it?

Quick Reply: IT/Internet Know-It-Alls...Help me