Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Insurance Sold to a Minor?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Sold to a Minor?!

i purchase a cbr 600 back when i was 16, i purchased insurance in California through progressive insurance. My parents are no where on the contract i filled it out through the internet and am the sole participant in the contract. My bike was stolen about 3 months ago and we have filed a claim through the insurance company. For some reason when i purchased a full coverage insurance, it did not cover comprehensive theft, so what i did was take it to the insurance commissioner of insurance. I just got a letter back from the insurance saying in the state of california anyone except a public enemy may purchase insurance. Well our problem is now we cannot get any money back from the bike, but i thought a contract being made to a minor is absolutely unimportant and can be cancelled or voided/invalid. I am going to speak to a lawyer next week about what i should do but i still dont think that selling to a minor without the parents consent is legal whatsoever, it means one law is voiding another federal law, what the hell kind of system is America living in...seems like a pretty ****in screwed up one, anyways feedback people, appreciate it

Old 05-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Default RE: Insurance Sold to a Minor?!

im lost i dont get it. you didnt read your policy to make sure you had theft coverage and now you want to say you couldnt sign a contract for insurance so your saying you never had it any way????

Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 PM

doesn't full coverage cover comprehensive and collision? comprehensive should cover theft

Old 05-12-2007, 11:06 PM

thats what i thought...full coverage was supposed to be everything when i signed up for it, now theyre saying it doesnt cover the 'option' of theft.

what we are trying to do is go against the insurance company for selling insurance to a minor....me signing any document (contract) should be considered invalid as a federal law. Theyre telling me that no i am wrong insurance can be sold to anyone, so i guess now 10 year olds can buy insurance right?.....that should not be allowed a parent should have to sign because me buying insurance myself could have put me in danger without parental knowledge.

i guess its going to go court, im 19 now but when the papers were originally signed it was only me and no one elses signature.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Retired Moderator

...You have to specify theft with full coverage? Sorry, the jokes on us with "full" coverage. Maybe every policy is a little different than the other. Keep us posted.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah really.....i have state farm and i have full coverage, and it DOES cover theft (i asked when signing my papers). good luck

Old 05-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

polices and companies are different. some cover certain aspects of stuff, and others dont. the fact that you are 19 now is probably gonna be your downfall. i think you would have better luck going after them for not including theft in FULL coverage, but then again, it is your responsibility to read the fine print and details. sorry to say, but i think you are gonna be SOL on this one and waste time and/or money going to court.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:34 AM

well i will definitly be looking into every possibility, i really dont care i hate insurance companies they are backstabbers so whatever i have to do to take money back out of their pockets i will. First of all one of my parents lawyers a major lawsuit could be at hand for temporarily placing me under critical danger while being a minor without consent of my parents when i filled out my insurance....lawyer said a lawsuit like that if i file being afraid for my life could win around $100,000. At this point ripping off the insurance company is my prime goal, those bastards deserve whats coming at them. I will definitly continue to get advice from multiple lawyers but to be honest i just want my bike back or at least a new one...

Old 05-13-2007, 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: ebaydan777

well i will definitly be looking into every possibility, i really dont care i hate insurance companies they are backstabbers so whatever i have to do to take money back out of their pockets i will. First of all one of my parents lawyers a major lawsuit could be at hand for temporarily placing me under critical danger while being a minor without consent of my parents when i filled out my insurance....lawyer said a lawsuit like that if i file being afraid for my life could win around $100,000. At this point ripping off the insurance company is my prime goal, those bastards deserve whats coming at them. I will definitly continue to get advice from multiple lawyers but to be honest i just want my bike back or at least a new one...

Dude????? First off, I don't know you or anything, so not a personal attack, but why do you hink insurance premiums are so high for everything? Frivilous lawsuits and the neck grabbers at every fenderbender. Instead of swapping insurance cards we should all swap lawyer information, wtf.everyone wants to sue when things don't gotheir way or they get all but-hurt and want emotional damage, boo F'n hoo. If your that concerned, why the hell didn't you get mommy and daddies permission/signature? Bottom line, unless I'm missing something, is that #1, you didn't read the policy or ask questions, in which case, it's your responsibility. Chalk it up to experience, life deals you some expensive lessons, and you just got one. OR, the insurance company is not paying out for coverage that you purchased. If theft is not on the policy and you signed it, well, your screwed. Sueing them fr letting you sign without a parent is BS, You are/was 16 or whatever on a streetbike, and your mature enough for that, but not when it comes to signing paperwork right? OK, You'll suefor them letting you sign a policy they wrote without parental consent...and somewhere the next week, someones gonna sue because a company won't let them sign a policy on their own.....c'mon man. There is no getting the ins. co. Someones pays for it, and it's us who don't file claims, who read the fine print, take resonsibilty for our actions, and aren't looking for a BS payday. OK, first off also, I'm not an *******, and I don't know you, so maybe I'm missing something. But if your looking for a catch alll BS excuse for not getting proper coverage and want to loop-hole someone, call the wambulance. Insurance companies don't get their money from some big pot in the sky. PS, sorry bout the bike though.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ebaydan777

Typical young punk reply. Thanks for displaying the exact behavior that raises everyone's insurance. You screwed up, and now it's someones elses fault, grow up.

Quick Reply: Insurance Sold to a Minor?!