Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Insurance.....Planet

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance.....Planet

Hi. For the last two days I was shopping around for insurance for my new cbr1k, and with my two speeding tickets on record and 6 year old DUI, companies like geico ,farmers, progressive was quoting me at 3500-4500 a year for a full coverege. Althought the bank I financed the bike through does not require it, I still want the full coverage in case of a wreck/thieft. Tonigh browsing the net I came up to a company named Planet Insuranse, they have a website planetinsuranceagency.com I called them and spoke to a rep, who seemed very active on trying to sell it to me, he said they will bit any price. And sure they did. I got quated for a full coverege with $1000 deductible at 478 down(1 month included) then 136 a month. So it comes to $1974/year about that I can afford for peace of mind. It was hard to believe, so I got his direct number and asked if I can call him tommorow. Did anyone hear or have any experience with this company? What do you guys think, should I buy it?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Default RE: Insurance.....Planet

Hell no! Stay away from those unheard of companies. Sure they might be the cheapest, but guess what happens when it's time to file a claim? They'll most likely jerk you around like no other and bend you right over where you stand. Check with state farm.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:55 AM

Is this an insurance company that is in your state? If so go to their offices and check it out. I found this little insurance company called Rider and nobody has heard of them, so I decided to take a drive to their office which was about an hour away. They had a fantastic office and all of the people who had policies with them never had any problems. I think the little companies can actually provide better service and customer care than large ones. So research the company and take a trip there if you can. My friend has Geico for auto insurance and some guy decided to not brake at a red light, smashed into him and his insurance were so suspicious of fraud and interviewed him soooo many times, when the police report clearly said that he was innocent and was the victim. They did not want to pay for the rental car, or the damages. So moral of the story, check out and research the company before you get a policy from them. I also heard of really good things with State Farm but they are expensive if you have tickets/violations. Good luck

Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 PM

i use a no name ins and they do fine.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Retired Moderator

The price is right, but if you do have an incident, you may have a harder time working with these kinds of companies. I can sure understand not wanting to spend $4000/yr, though!

Old 10-17-2006, 02:37 PM

I'd check with Allstate. They quoted me 209 a month for full coverage, and 60 for comp. Not too bad

Old 10-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what state are you in? companies like progressive and geico wanted $10,000/yr if they would even cover me. I found a broker that ran quotes against alot of major companies and got me full coverage for $448/yr. The insurance is through American Modern (http://www.amig.com) I think it is sold only through brokers. The website I went to was http://www.buymotorcycleinsurance.com/ the broker only works out of Texas (i think) but American Modern I believe is nationwide.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 PM

I got a quote through state farm and it was on par with all the other companies. But then the agent let me in on a moeny saving tip. Insure your car and your bike through them then the bike will be a "recreation" vehicle and then bike insurance is dirt cheap.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Yeah I would agree with the multiple vehicle deal, its even better if you can get homeowners or renters insurance in there. I currently have my house, Grand Cherokee, Boneville, and CBR all under American Family and only get charged $7 a month. Granted that is only for comp, but they only wanted $18 a month for full coverage to include fire, theft, etc. I had to point out since it was in a locked garage every night, I would take my chances my homeowners would cover the rest. I think for getting everything I own insured by one place they knock like 20% off everything.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:57 PM

Thanks for replies guys. I am 26 and I am in San Diego,CA. The Planet Insurance has 6 offices in CA(so I guess they are not too small), but they are not near enough from me to go there. Rrasco did you have any tickets when you got that coverage? The rep from Planet will fax me the papers tonight to sign , but I am going to hold it untill tommorow, so I can call American Modern for a quote. The company who I got my car ( I have 06 WRX STI)covered with is Infinity does not cover motorcycles, and I'd rather not change it because they gave me a good deal $185/mo. When others quoted me at 250-350. Let's wait till tommorow....

Quick Reply: Insurance.....Planet