Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

INSANE phone solicitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INSANE phone solicitor

PART I:
So I get this call tonight...Caller ID says it is "Florida" calling so I know it is a phone solicitor. Being who I am, I know that I am going to f_ck with whoever has decided to interrupt my evening. I say hello, and the guy on the other end (the "outsourced" voice thatI expected to hear) tells me that I can have a free Sprint cellular phone. I pretend like I can't hear him, and after a beat, I say "hello" again. I do that about a half a dozen times then change my strategy. I move on to the "change what he says" routine. Everytime he says something, I repeat what he said tome, but totallywrong! Eventually, I can't stand it anymore, and start laughing. I let him know that I haveheard everything he said and was just messing with him. Next thing I know, I hear him mumbling. At some point, I realize he is cussing at me. He is calling me an M.F. and a bastard. I ask him if he is cussing me...and he still keeps cussing me. He then tells me I have wasted his time and he is going tokeep my number and call me everyday. I bluff, and tell him I am recording the call and have his number onCaller ID. He then asks me if I know who he is, and I say I don't. He proceeds to tell me, if I knew who he was, I wouldn't have wasted his time. I make some more rude commentsthen he makes some more rudecomments. Next, he asks me for my S.S. #...I tell him I won't give him any personal info (at this pointI am internally panicking because I wonder if he has access to my personal information). Then, I start strategy three...I try to distract him. I ask him if he ever really wanted to sell me something, and if he is really cussing at me. We have some communication problems, but I think he "kind of" apologizes...I think?

PARTII:
Wehang up, and I callQwest (my phone company) and give them the details and the phone number.They tell me they can't trace the call because it has been re-routed from the original number. The rep tells me I can "*57" the number to put it on a watch list that will put the actual phone number on a "hit list" as long as I register the number three times. After that, I can call the "Annoyance Call Bureau" and they will commence with official proceedures (800-582-0655).

PART III:
My wife always gets annoyed when I mess with phone solicitors...maybe she is onto something. If you guys never hear from me again, it means that my solicitor has gotten the best of me and I am dead. Scary stuff my brothers (and sisters). Be wary of a phone call from "Florida" when you see 1-941-426-3630...you may be recieving a call that will change your life.

P.S. When I called the number back, it says I have reached a number that has been discontected or is no longer in service...bastards!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
VP
Default RE: INSANE phone solicitor

hahaha that's really funny man! I like to tell them to hang on and put the phone down (advise from Warren Buffet). It costs the company time and money because they cannot disconnect a lot of those calls, and it doesn't cost you anything (as long as its not on your cell phone). Also, if you EVER get a letter at your house with aprepaid postage put the blank envelope in the mailbox and make that company pay for it. If it doesn't get mailed they don't get charged for it, so always send it back to them. Sometimes, I fill the envelope with junk mail from other companies.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 PM

Good stuff, you rabble rousers!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM

Here's you a good one >>>clicky<<<

Old 07-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Retired Moderator

...thank you Tyler. That makes me feel better...laughter is the best medicine!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:29 AM

^^ that was some funny shyte right there!!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:48 AM

lol screw those dudes....didn't u know telemarketers got connections man....30 yr olds with 12 digit pads in front of there face must be someone big

Old 07-13-2007, 07:00 AM

I think what pisses me off even more than the soliciters are the phone company people who tell you they can't trace a number unless you hit the *57. (which costs you money) How in the world can a telephone company be able to tell the govt exactly what cell tower you made a call from, or what number you dialed and for how long on a certain date, but they can't figure out where a threatening call is coming from. I call horse**** on that one.[:@]

Old 07-13-2007, 07:13 AM

It was me I called from Florida

Old 07-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

I got about 15 AT&T call every week. Finally I got really mad. Being a shareholder I went to investor relations and got the names of the person that was regional Vice president. From there I found his address and home number, the internet is wonderful, and then got directions to his house (Mapquest/google earth). I called him and talked to his 5 year old daughter and then his wife and then him. I confirmed his job position and where he lived (google earth). I explained all the telemarketers from At&T calling me, I kept a log.I explained that I wasn't cray. Even when he didn't ask I explained I wasn't crazy. I described where he lived in relation to me and where he worked. I told him he sounded like a nice guy and I wasn't crazy.

I told him I would wouldn't call him again ifAT&T didn't call me again. I didn't threaten him, I just told him I wasn't crazy. I told him it sounded like he lived in a nice house and I wasn't crazy. I gave him my phone number if he needed to call me, but no more telemarketers. His secretary called me a week later to tell me I was off all 41 of their call center call lists. If I ever got another call from an At&T telemarketer I should get their name and call her directly. I explained I wasn't crazy again...I don't think they believed me, but I NEVER GOT ANOTHER AT&T call again.

Never threaten, just call the vice president of the company. Find out all you can about he/she, let them know you aren't crazy. Let them know that you two can be friends now that you know so much about each other, remind them you aren't crazy.