Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Improper passing or not????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improper passing or not????

Today I was making a right hand turn onto a 4 lane road (2 north/2south). After the turn I slide over to the left lane. After about a 1/4 mile a guy on a Harley slips by me on the left. The road was empty and he could have passed me on the right safely. Also I was going the speed limit or maybe +5. He passed me in my lane and gave me a friendly smile and wave.

Is this normal, it kinda caught me by surprise since I've never had this happen to me or even considered getting next to someone I wasn't riding with? I saw him in my mirrors so I knew he was back there, but didn't he kinda invade my space?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Default RE: Improper passing or not????

i was taught in drivers ed (like 10 years ago) to maintain the closest lane to you. In other words, I think you're supposed to make the right hand turn into the right hand lane... thenSignal for the left lane.

who knows, he might be from germany where it's illegal to pass on the right.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:08 PM

The guy was a jerk. I'm not sure of the laws on this, but IMO, the only time it's ok for someone to share your lane is if it's someone you know, and he discussed it with you beforehand. Otherwise, I think it's a good way to cause a wreck.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Retired Moderator

I have shared a lane at a stoplight before, but I wouldn't pass in the same lane as someone I didn't know, whether it was legal or not...especially when the lane next to you was clear. Kind of strange.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 PM

Least he smiled and waved [&:]

Old 09-08-2007, 12:24 PM

That was disrespectful lane useage. He was not riding with you and should have changed lanes to pass. What if you had decided to use that portion of the lane he was going to use to pass? Bad things come from stupid decisions like that. I haven't had anyone do that to me, but I would not be happy if they did. Most of the people I run into here are considerate enough to stay back in a staggered position or change lanes if/when they decide to go around.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i dont think its illegal but more unsafe and inconsiderate. if there is a open lane to pass that shouldve been used. passing someone you dont know in their lane can very easily cause a wreck. now if you're riding with your buddies and you wave them on to take the lead and they pass you in the same lane then thats ok.. its more about being safe then legality.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

i dont think its illegal but more unsafe and inconsiderate. if there is a open lane to pass that shouldve been used. passing someone you dont know in their lane can very easily cause a wreck. now if you're riding with your buddies and you wave them on to take the lead and they pass you in the same lane then thats ok.. its more about being safe then legality.
+1

Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 PM

I only lane share with a biker i don't know at a stop light. After that i change lanes to pass if need, if not i follow depending on how the guy is driving. If he holds his lane ill stagger with him, if not i fall back.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM

He was wrong to invade the lane like that But you said you saw him comin up and obviously he was moving faster than you, why wouldnt you get over. Slower traffic stay right. I kno this is one of my pet peeves on the highway. Ill come up behind someone and they wont get over. Which is illegal by the way.

Quick Reply: Improper passing or not????