Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I'm quitting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I'm quitting...

Giving up smoking is easy, I do it all the time. All the best advice has already been given here, my addition to it would be to drink water when you feel the urge to smoke.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good advice here.

I started smoking when I was 12, and smoked socially until I was 19. (about 2 packs a week)

After taking an anatomy class (where we did human dissections) and seeing first hand the difference between a smoker's lungs, and healthy lungs, I decided I had bought my last cigarrette.

I threw away half a pack I had left, and decided that never again would I buy another pack of cigarretes.

I admit, I have broken down once or twice, while partying, and "bummed a smoke" from someone, (less than once a year) but the real key to quitting is to truly decide that you are not smoking anymore. Since I am too proud to become "that guy" who is always bumming smokes from evryone, just by not buying them anymore I removed the oportunity for me to just "light up" whenever it was convenient.

Don't know if that would help you, but I wish you strengh, willpower, and ultimately sucess, on quitting.
Also, an exercise program (nothing fancy, 300 crunches + >60 push ups right before bed, or taking a shower should do the trick) can do wonders to keep your mind off your cravings.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all in your willpower I guess; I had tried so many things like the patch, gums but no avail. I suggest don't set any target, let it be modest. Just say to yourself that I'm not going to smoke for an hour, then once you achieved it set it for another hour. Then tell yourself you won't be smoking for the day and so on. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Patches help but I found out I had to just take one craving at a time and get thru it......If I thought of it like; (I'm never gonna smoke again) I'd get frustrated and smoke. Also, I know it sounds weird but.... excercise helps curb the cravings......if they get real bad.....do a few sets of push ups or better yet, go to the gym.......

Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Retired Moderator

I tried a patch and it felt like my arm was burning...I tried gum (for chew)and it felt like I wanted to have a chew. It is all mental strength. How about if you have to answer to us? You can be on the honor system...be accountable to us, dude, and we can be your support group. ****, we kept a guy from losing his bike on this forum (got him about a thousand or so dollars if I recall), we can help a member quit smoking! Don't forget, we family here!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The nicotine gum was the worse thing for me. The taste was really bad and I decided better to have a puff instead of having to chew this f###ing thing![&:]

Old 09-02-2008, 10:22 PM

I quit when I boght my new bike. I decided that if I was to ride and keep it I couldn't smoke. If I did, I had to sell the bike. It worked like a charm. But you really have to be that serious about quitting or you'll end up making excuses for yourself.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Retired Moderator

^^^ How can you dance and smoke? What are your lungs made out of?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 PM

I had to quit all the bad stuff at the same time, I was spending 400 a month on smokes and booze, one of those alcoholics that youd have to flip a coin and I'd either be the coolest guy there was or an embarrasing ****head, just couldn't control it to one or two, smoking didn't help the drinking and drinking didn't help the smoking. Just made a decission to make better choices in my life, set a better example to those I love and to myself and quit it all cold turkey. They say take it a day at a time, well sometimes I had to fight it a minute at a time, but the minutes turned into hours, then days, months and so on, been clean/sober for almost a year. Its nice smelling and tasting things so much better, not feeling like **** all the time and cranking out some serious PT 6 days a week and feeling good. Theres tons of reasons to quit, but not really one reason to keep doing it.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 PM

BlindinNaranja cleared over $2k...haven't seen his heinie since. Not a peep. But that's okay. A kilo, or so, and some long-legged call girls, beats keeping a tatty bike anyway. And if we can do that for someone...hey, we can help someone else give up smoking.

But like family, some of us will be waiting on the patio by the pool with a lighter and a derm...just come round back when you're ready. **** quitting. Practice moderation, and you'll get to do anything you want. Excuse me. *rolls up a bill*

Quick Reply: I'm quitting...