Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I'm quitting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008 | 05:56 AM
Default I'm quitting...

smoking. Any suggestions from people who have managed? I just had what I'm calling my "last one" about 5 minutes ago. I've made many small droughts in my habit before. Stopping for a week to two weeks just because I was around family and busy but I've never tried quitting when I'm living by myself with plenty of down time on my hands.

Old 09-02-2008 | 06:28 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Default RE: I'm quitting...

I had another nicotine habit ... dip ... that I quit over 4 years ago. They say 1 can of the worm dirt is equal to 3 packs of ciggies. Here's what helped me:

1) support group.
2) be accountable to someone ... if you fall off the wagon know that they will kick you in the *** and make you start over.
3) this one was hard for me ... DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL ... at least for the first month.
4) plan not to get fat. I gained 25 lbs ... much easier gaining than losing. But without all the snacks it would have been tougher to quit.
5) do not hang around people that smoke ... just askin for trouble
6) once you do quit don't be a preachy type ... damn do I hate those peeps

Remember that nicotine is as addictive as cocaine and your body knows where it gets the supply. So when you quit your body will hate you. First 72 hours just suck (you know that already). In my case, I thought about it constantly for at least a month. Dreamed about it even. 4 years later I still occasionally wake up and look for a tin ... just something I did for 20 years and it takes a long time to fully recover.

I wish you good luck dude!

Old 09-02-2008 | 06:46 AM

Dude I tried quitting a while ago and used dip as a crutch, heh. Managed to quit smoking for a month but I started dipping. I stopped that now and I'm back on the cigs :/ I'm not a preachy-type person so don't worry about that. I stopped smoking wacky tobacco and never give anyone any trouble for it so I doubt I'll do the same with cigarettes. Main problem I'm having is I wish I could really tell my parents so they'd kick my *** for not quitting but I really don't think I've got the guts to do that. Although it would probably REALLY help. I hate quitting cause you're right about being around smokers. I tried to quit 2 years ago and I noticed that I didn't socialize nearly as much. Theres nothing easier than starting a conversation with a complete stranger standing around anywhere if you are both smoking cigarettes.

Old 09-02-2008 | 08:22 AM

I don't have addictions such as that (caffeine might be the closest), so I really don't know what you are going through.Maybe have a jar and everytime you get the urge to go out and get a pack of smokes, instead add the money you would normally spend on the pack to the jar and see how much you would have saved after the end of the year. Set milestone rewards for yourself. 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month...etc. Maybe a new mod for your ride, new gear, new tv...something. After all you'll save all that money.

Old 09-02-2008 | 08:44 AM

Best thing to do is try to limit your exposure to smoke. I've quit before, for overa year, but the hardest part was being around people that smoke and really wanting one. Going out for a beer is real tough cause they go together so good! From my experience you can't slow down, it's either quit or keep smoking. I'm back to a pack every 2 days, but I try to only smoke at work, take breaks about every hour to go smoke. I don't smoke at home but at a party or bar I'm a damn chain smoker!
I had a cousin that did the money thing, whenever you wanna go get a smoke put $5 in a can and he filled that thing up so fast it make me sick to see how much I keep wasting but I'm just not ready to quit again yet.

Old 09-02-2008 | 09:29 AM

Yeah I was at 2 packs a day for a little while.. I've got pretty bad insomnia. Sort of pushes me to smoke at night since nobody else is around and I've got nothing to do. As for the money thing.. well, I can't exactly do that cause I've been buying cigs instead of food. Can't exactly save any money that I didn't spend on smokes since I guess it'll go into food now. Lol over the summer I remember I ran outta cash one week and couldn't get more and went 4 days w/out food but still had cigs and dip to last me the days. I weigh a good bit more than my healthy weight (2 years ago I was 170, now im 245) so going without food isn't that hard. Without cigs is a different story though.

Old 09-02-2008 | 09:41 AM

OMFG! 3rd time and it still wont post what i want to say! [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] FK YOU FORUM..BURN!

Old 09-02-2008 | 09:42 AM

sure..it lets me say that..I am being punished by the forum gods[&o]

Old 09-02-2008 | 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: jdschmidt

OMFG! 3rd time and it still wont post what i want to say! [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] FK YOU FORUM..BURN!
Well if you go on talking about the forum like that I don't see you getting very far! It's probably pissed at you now.

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:10 AM

i just quit cold turkey. it was hard for me at first cause i was still going out at the time to bars and what not, and their aint nothin like havin a smoke and a beer. after a while, i just quit goin out so much which ended up killin the habit and cravings.

Quick Reply: I'm quitting...