Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I'm one of the select few...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm going to be finishing up my first season of riding. I went through two bikes. The first was a 125 and the second was a 250. I crashed both and learned valuable lessons. As it states in "Twist of the Wrist", I was definitely the weak link in these crashes. I mean, on the 250 I was just trying to make a u-turn and didn't see some gravel on the road and blamo (now I've learned the value of the rear brake ). I was considering moving up to a 929, but decided I'm gonna take it to the next step... an older 600 f4i, even if it's the same price here. Too many situations where I was too late or early on the throttle around blind corners for me to take the dive for the literish bikes yet.

As most of my friends who started to ride back in the states have all started on 600's and 650's, I got quite a few chuckles, but you know what? I'd rather have people laughing at me on a learner than crying at my funeral.

That and statistically you're probably gonna crash your first few times out. I had a Hyosung 250 and it cost me around $200 or replace pedals, cables, cowls, etc. Thinking about how much it would have cost me on a bigger, pricier, nicer bike... yikes.

Can't wait till I get back to the US so I can take an MSF course... and hopefully find some carless twisties that can compare to those around here. I don't think they offer MSF here in Korea.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apples to oranges

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
a newer 600 is FAR faster then a 900 CBR.

lighter AND has more HP.. so /shrug
1993-900RR
1993-600F2
safer bike for a beginner......600F2

2009-1000RR
2009-600RR
safer bike for a beginner.....600RR

Safer not safe...

Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 AM

Bottom line as I see it is a 1000 is way more bike then you will ever need for the street in the first place. It would be safe to say the the vast majority of people can't even push a 600 to it's limits.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by bambam
Safer not safe...
I think this is a key point. Bikes by nature are not "safe". There is always something a little safer and a little more forgiving but at the end of the day by F2 is just as fast if not a touch faster than my 300+ hp turbo AWD car that could slam you back in your seat.

Only thing around you at that point is air.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by bambam
1993-900RR
1993-600F2
safer bike for a beginner......600F2

2009-1000RR
2009-600RR
safer bike for a beginner.....600RR

Safer not safe...
I was just pointing out that he's saying his old 900 is the fastest thing since slice bread, bragging about how he didnt start on a 600 but a 900 and he's so super awesome!...

but a new 09 600RR is lighter and faster then his 900 so I dont his point is moot both ways he even says it. Of course the same year 600 will be slower then the same year 1000. I was simply pointing out that his bike is slower then modern 600's and they are both stupid bikes to start out on.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this state (NSW) they changed the learner laws & provisional licenses (for 2 years), so that instead of being restricted to a 250cc, you now get a bike based power output (eg 660cc single). This lets riders get on to some decent bikes.
Which brings me to my point. A lot of people that find out that I have bike, more often than not, express a desire to get one (or back on one), so I always give the same advice, allow $1000 (aus) for safety gear, do a learners course & don't get one of those sh*tty little bikes, like a pressed metal framed 2 stroke (or worse a Yamaha Virago )
A smaller underpowered evil handling, bad brakes s*it box is worse in my opinion, as young riders will attempt to do stuff way out of the bikes capabilities, have trouble keeping up with & ahead of free flowing traffic. I am not promoting that people start on a big bike, but somewhere in the middle is a good compromise.
When I 1st starting riding, I was the biggest hoon on two wheels, I did things that I can't believe I got away with (read survived). The only reason that I can think of that I'm here now was because I could not afford to get something bigger (no license restrictions in the Old Days) but when you 1st start riding, you do go nuts, until something scares you enough to start behaving yourself (I got run over).
Whats happening in S'tralia now goes to the point, because of the boom in bikes & scooters, the stats are through the roof for accidents (& fatalities) for new riders, they are reviewing the riding laws & are considering mandatory safety gear, not just helmets, but boots, gloves, jackets (& rider training before licenses are issued).

Old 11-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pace: I'd not object if Pennsylvania required people to take the MSF before issuing a license. Honestly, I don't see why they haven't since the MSF courses are free for residents.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ I can't believe you guys get a free course! My direct access cost me £500 , best part of $1000!!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
^^^ I can't believe you guys get a free course! My direct access cost me £500 , best part of $1000!!
Um... would you hate me if I said both courses? The Basic Rider and Experienced Rider courses are both free, regardless of how many times you take them. Girl in the BRC was on her 6th attempt

Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Hawk, what is a kipper? is this a four paper joint of somesort of bong hit? thot is was funny just had to ask.

Quick Reply: I'm one of the select few...