Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I'm one of the select few...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know what to say here without adding fuel to the fire. i personally believe people should start off on smaller bikes (250s, 500s etc) so they can get the feel for how the clutch works, how much gas to give it when letting out into 1st at a stop light, and also for weather conditions such as rain; like how much throttle you should and shouldnt give it in corners on a wet road. once you realize that (for instance say you ride a 250 for your first bike) you are getting a little loose in a corner on a wet road, you realize to yourself that when you ride a more powerful bike, that if you got loose in a 250, you KNOW that a 600 or 750 or 900 or 929 or 954 or anything is going to be more powerful, and you KNOW that you should take it easier.

please dude, dont go around suggesting that the newbs get a big bike for their first one. you say you "only" dropped yours 3 or more times in the 2 years youve been riding... and you were suggesting that that was a good thing... ive been riding 3 years, and never dropped mine, or any bike i've ever rode, and i rode mine every single day regardless of weather.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Besides getting wiped out by car drivers , the most common accident for a novice rider is entering a curve too fast freezing , tensing up , slamming on the brakes , which stands the bike up , making you run wide into on-coming traffic . This is 100% inexperience and all too easy on a big powerful heavy bike , I know 'cos it happened to me . Luckily it was 5:00am so there was no traffic , if it had been 10:00am I'd probably be dead , that's why it makes a difference when you ride.
Done it going into a curve heading towards the guardrail. Luckily, I remembered something and leaned it back down before hitting

Originally Posted by Elfling
just ****ed up a low speed turn and didn't have the experience to pull out of it right.
Done it. Pics are in the gallery (-broken leg, +broken fairings )

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
What about Mr. Cage coming in your lane and you goose it and the front wheel comes up -- all of a sudden you have no control. The one I hear about most is target fixation. Peeps not looking where they're going ... well, actually they DO look where they're going and it's usually a ditch, guard rail or tree.

I wish you extended good luck on your beast and advise you to take a MSF course when you get a chance.
Done it: Had MSF instructor yelling "Look down, go down!" at me repeatedly

The point is, I 'got away' with it because I ride a 600 F3 and not a 1000RR. Prolly wouldn't have cracked fairings if I had a 250cc but Honda doesn't make one and I'd shoot myself before getting a Ninja

Any 2 wheeled vehicle teaches harsh lessons, even that first banana seat Schwinn many of us had. The faster it goes, the less time you have to give the right answer for the lesson. The fact that some people can start with the biggest thing on the road without a problem...

Well just cause 1 guy takes the pot in a game of hold 'em doesn't change the fact that there are 4 other guys who didn't.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Elfling
It worked for you- but I really don't think you should go around recommending it. I'm personally a casualty of having bumped up to a larger bike too soon because I got cocky. I broke my leg my first week on a 600 after only riding for three months not even doing anything stupid- just ****ed up a low speed turn and didn't have the experience to pull out of it right.
Not trying to justify a bigger bike as your first one, but couldn't that have happened just the same on a 250?

I haven't ridden anything and the F2 is my first bike. I have ridden a couple 4wheelers, but that doesn't count and I am not counting it as any experience. I have zero. Couldn't you just as easily hurt yourself on any size bike if you try hard enough?

I don't recommend a bigger bike at all... but I don't think people should assume that a smaller bike is safer by any means. They just aren't. I mean, if you are an idiot you shouldn't be ridding anything at all. Then again that works for everybody except idiots as one of my college profs put it.

I wanted to start on a 500... but my buddy sold me the F2 at a good price and given that I know I have to be easy with it and that I am planning to take the MSF next spring... I think I will be okay. Can't go ***** to the wall without expecting to get bitten. ya know?

Last edited by CrashTECH; 11-23-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashTECH
Not trying to justify a bigger bike as your first one, but couldn't that have happened just the same on a 250?

I haven't ridden anything and the F2 is my first bike. I have ridden a couple 4wheelers, but that doesn't count and I am not counting it as any experience. I have zero. Couldn't you just as easily hurt yourself on any size bike if you try hard enough?

I don't recommend a bigger bike at all... but I don't think people should assume that a smaller bike is safer by any means. They just aren't. I mean, if you are an idiot you shouldn't be ridding anything at all. Then again that works for everybody except idiots as one of my college profs put it.

I wanted to start on a 500... but my buddy sold me the F2 at a good price and given that I know I have to be easy with it and that I am planning to take the MSF next spring... I think I will be okay. Can't go ***** to the wall without expecting to get bitten. ya know?
The difference betweeen a 250cc vs a 600cc vs a 1000cc is the amount of time you have between the realization that handful of throttle = BAD and the solid object (wall, car, pavement, tree).

That's the thing, it's not the top end speed that'll kill you. All those bikes can easily reach a speed that's fatal if you go down. Its the amount of power / torque availible on the throttle, what it'll cause the bike to do when applied wrong and how it reduces the time in which you can react (or correct a mistake). When you take the MSF you'll see when you're on their 250s. Especially in turns

Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 AM

I guess what it comes down to is you shouldn't get on any bike as an new rider and think you are going to look like mf'ing Batman cuz you are going to come out of that curve looking more like Robin.

I guess what I was getting at is that even on a 250 if you aren't taking your time to learn the bike, even with the slower response, you are still in for a world of hurt.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just about displacement. A 1999 900 is a teddy bear compared to an 09 600. Supersport bikes today are much lighter, more responsive, and twitchy than they were a decade ago.

My feeling on this is that yes, you can ride safely on a higher-performance bike, but you'll be slowing your development as a rider. You want to push the envelope, but in a way that's less likely to get you killed. Smoothness and a feel for traction control come with time and experience, and it's better to learn from your mistakes if they don't leave you or your bike in pieces. If you're so 'respectful' of your bike that you never get near the limits of its or your ability, then 1) you're not developing as a rider; and 2) what's the point in having all that performance you're unable to use.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Default supermanbornonaliter

SURE, some new peeps jump on a liter bike and never look back and never have a wreck, However , it is not being a good advisior to the people by saying it is a good idea. I have realized that all guardrails are climbable and people will do what the hell they want to do beyond all good wisdom. SAd to say but "let them have liters" if they wont listen...peace

Last edited by bambam; 11-23-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is that a liter bike will get away from your range of experience/skill way way way faster than a smaller bike and every fractional second counts when confronted by a dangerous situation.

And why so serious? Well maybe because we don't some noob coming on here trusting the information that you've given them killing themselves cuz they figured they'd go for the 1krr because honda's selling em dirt cheap right now and, hell, this guy made it out just fine...

Smaller bikes make better riders from the start and are far more forgiving.

You don't stick a 16-year-old behind the wheel of a ferrari.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

a newer 600 is FAR faster then a 900 CBR.

lighter AND has more HP.. so /shrug

Quick Reply: I'm one of the select few...