CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   I tried to fight a car... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/i-tried-fight-car-109973/)

raylee 05-03-2010 05:23 AM

I tried to fight a car...

Roxanne and I lost. :icon_doh: Basically, I was on a two way, one lane each way road and the car in front of me headed left and I thought she was making a left turn onto the adjacent road. I go ahead on my heading and she decides to swerve back and make a right turn instead as I was right at her fender. My left side frame slider decided it'd be fun to get caught where her door and fender meet and Roxy decides to throw me off and I tumbled a few times. Luckily I wasn't going that fast and I had all of my gear on. Got a nasty gash on my left knee, but a nastier gash going all the way around my helmet, I'm glad my brains still in my skull. :icon_razz:

There's plenty of nitpicking details, but we're both at fault for various reasons, her for not signaling and crossing double yellow lines to make a right turn and me for not being patient and trying to anticipate her follow through. :icon_couchhide:

Luckily this was in the middle of nowhere so there was no other traffic and I tumbled onto a parking lot.

Roxanne's engine case decided to crack right by the stator cover and oil got dumped all over the place, left side fairings... well, yes, mirror, left side headlight cover got scratched. I kinda wish the ordeal was video taped because I'd like to see it on YouTube. A shopkeeper came out of the store and told me she thought I died from the way I was tumbling. :icon_bunny:

BTW, kevlar jeans can still give you kevlar rash instead of road rash... I don't know which is better. I'm guessing kevlar rash because it's not aching like it did when I decided to wear regular jeans and crash last year. :icon_special:

Yeah, I know... :icon_slap:, but I'm glad to have gotten off as easily as I did. Insurance is still figuring everything out and I'll know more about what's what in the following days.

bambam 05-03-2010 06:03 AM

glad yer OK, glad for gear... hope yer knee gets healed up fast.

Kuroshio 05-03-2010 07:18 AM

Glad you're ok-ish. The kevlar jeans may have given you a friction burn (my Carhartts did the same).

Pretty sure that's way better than what woulda happened during a clean burn thru

thrasher572 05-03-2010 08:14 AM

Glad to hear you made it through your get off mostly intact. You made a wise choice to be geared up... bikes can be replaced. I hope your injuries heal quickly. Tom.

gotcbr 05-03-2010 12:10 PM

Sorry to hear that ray. Glad you're ok. Hope insurance takes care of you. Keep us updated.

2H company 05-03-2010 01:45 PM

The slider actually played a part of the reason why you went down. That is kind of ironic.

But it's great that you came up without any serious injuries. Good luck on getting your bike into shape soon!

VeryMotley 05-04-2010 02:12 PM

Sux I hope it is all better soon. Glad you are ok though!!

JEFF4i99 05-04-2010 02:45 PM

Have any pics?

Glad to hear you are okay!

Preid 05-05-2010 08:02 PM

Get well soon!

Now I must go find out about this kevlar rash as they're also my jean of choice.

Kuroshio 05-05-2010 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Preid (Post 917020)
Get well soon!

Now I must go find out about this kevlar rash as they're also my jean of choice.

Friction burns prolly. The street didn't make it thru my Carhartts when I went down. But two contact points, my knee and my hip, took small quarter sized burns from the friction.

raylee 05-06-2010 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Preid (Post 917020)
Get well soon!

don't worry too much, it was friction burns like kuro said. i've got the draggin jeans and there is a small tear on the inseam, but not a big issue, imo. don't bother with the optional "knee pads", they moved off my knee as soon as i was off the bike. i'm gonna use external knee pads from now on. the good thing is that the kevlar on your ass will keep your ass from rubbing off on the assphault. hur hur hur...

raylee 05-22-2010 10:34 AM

Update: My insurance is bitching me around, but the work on the repairs has started. I decided to go with a different color scheme, gunmetal gray and gold accessories. I know '01 R1s never came in gray, but I've always been a fan of the color.

On the plus side, some of my new gear arrived today, HJC FS-15 carbon helmet, Alpinestars SMX Plus boots and a camera mount. I ordered the Knox Handroids and who knows when SBTG will restock and my order for a custom two piece suit goes in next week. It sucks having all this shiny new gear and no bike to use it with. When I got my helmet, I just sat at my desk with my helmet on for a little bit in hopes that it would cheer me up a bit.

andyriot 05-22-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by raylee (Post 924139)
When I got my helmet, I just sat at my desk with my helmet on for a little bit in hopes that it would cheer me up a bit.

thats such a funny sight to imagine yet so sad at the same time. keep your head up man youll be riding in no time!

raylee 06-07-2010 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got her all fixed up and had some fun over the weekend. Gotta say that being off of a bike for over a month has completely obliterated my ability to take corners and having had a run in with a car has almost completely change my attitude about riding.
I drop so many F bombs like, "That F*** is gonna cut me off, I just know it" or "Nice F***ING signal, F***wipe" or "All these F***ers are out to get me". Makes the self-dialog I have while riding more fun.

The before pics in my sig, it was the stock red. I've always wanted a gunmetal gray/graphite gray vehicle so I figured this was a good chance to go for it.

Attachment 55386

Attachment 55387

__Z__ 06-07-2010 07:05 PM

hey bro ur in the wrong forum... haahah ;)

raylee 06-07-2010 09:21 PM

Yeah, I probably am, but I had every intent to buy a CBR originally and since this is my first motorcycle forum and found you guys to be super friendly I figured I'd share. :D

andyriot 06-07-2010 09:27 PM

new paint scheme is sick brother! glad to hear your back on the road

whats with the plate bent up?

kilgoretrout 06-07-2010 09:47 PM

Man, that thing looks good! The red and blue bits look a little off, but dam! She turned out nice.

raylee 06-08-2010 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by andyriot (Post 931156)
whats with the plate bent up?

I uhh... they have speed cameras here. Also, the aerodynamics of the R1 are horrible so that plate just keeps on getting bent up for no reason, officer. :icon_teeth:

NateDieselF4i 06-08-2010 07:32 AM

wow bike looks great in the after pics. Maybe its not necessarily a bad thing this accident happened. hah. Glad you're ok though and youur girl is back in one piece.

Hoosier1104 06-08-2010 11:26 AM

Mine is currently Chrome Yellow by Ford but if I repaint this winter I might go with the metallic gray of my Ranger. It is still up in the air though.

xankriz 06-19-2010 01:58 PM

I'm kinda unclear as to what you mean by kevlar rash, was it like parts of the pants that did get burned away, or something that happend through the kevlar.

Glad your OK mate... keep ridin safe

Kuroshio 06-19-2010 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by xankriz (Post 936641)
I'm kinda unclear as to what you mean by kevlar rash, was it like parts of the pants that did get burned away, or something that happend through the kevlar.

Glad your OK mate... keep ridin safe

Prolly what happened to me in Carhartt heavy duty pants. The slide didn't burn through the pants. But the friction from the fabric sliding on my legs gave me what we called 'raspberries' in soccer. Nowhere near as bad as asphalt vs skin.

raylee 06-20-2010 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 936667)
Prolly what happened to me in Carhartt heavy duty pants. The slide didn't burn through the pants. But the friction from the fabric sliding on my legs gave me what we called 'raspberries' in soccer. Nowhere near as bad as asphalt vs skin.

Exactly. Also, +1 on it being tons better than the asphalt vs skin.

CYACOP 06-20-2010 07:51 AM

Two crashes in a year? Thats not a very good record. Maybe you need to reconsider.

raylee 06-20-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by CYACOP (Post 936935)
Two crashes in a year? Thats not a very good record. Maybe you need to reconsider.

LOL, did you really register to tell me that? :icon_doh: Technically, it was only one crash and this one crash was because someone decided it'd be a good idea to run into me... probably the same motivation you had for posting that, hope that your hate will pull me away from riding. Sorry, hater, but I plan on riding until I physically can't.

CYACOP 06-20-2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by raylee (Post 936952)
LOL, did you really register to tell me that? :icon_doh: Technically, it was only one crash and this one crash was because someone decided it'd be a good idea to run into me... probably the same motivation you had for posting that, hope that your hate will pull me away from riding. Sorry, hater, but I plan on riding until I physically can't.

No hate involved, rather more concern than anything. Been a member here for quite a while actually. Seems strange Ive ridden a street bike probably longer than you have been alive and never once been down. The key is to stay away from moving vehicles, period. Safe riding.

Hoosier1104 06-20-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by CYACOP (Post 936987)
No hate involved, rather more concern than anything. Been a member here for quite a while actually. Seems strange Ive ridden a street bike probably longer than you have been alive and never once been down. The key is to stay away from moving vehicles, period. Safe riding.

And Captain Obvious strikes again! You win some and you lose some. A day on 2 wheels is better than any day on 4.

raylee 06-20-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by CYACOP (Post 936987)

Yeah, and it's strange that AMA, BSB, MotoGP, the thousands who have vids on youtube, thousands more who didn't bother posting vids, have all fallen and stastically almost everyone who rides takes a fall at one point in various forms, yet you haven't been down once? :icon_shrug:

You may have been riding longer than I've been alive, but I guarantee that I log more miles a week and push myself further when it comes to riding than you do. In fact, just the fact that I have fallen, been injured and didn't consider giving up the sport for even a moment is testament to that fact.

And unless you're one of those pussies that has a second username just so you can spout ****, I don't really consider just short of 2 months "quite a while".

Kuroshio 06-20-2010 09:46 PM

Alrighty simmer down. It was too hot today already. No need for yall two to raise the temp ;)

raylee 06-21-2010 12:21 AM

Yeah, my bad. One of the things that still really gets under my skin is when people give me crap about riding, especially when it comes from a motorcycle forum.

Kuroshio 06-21-2010 12:26 AM

raylee, just ask yourself something: Who do you ride for?

The instructor at the ERC kept scolding me cause I used 2 fingers on the brake today. Finally told him this is how I ride and it works for me.

bubba_finch07 06-21-2010 12:57 AM

lol only 2 fingers? you should be ashamed. How many did he want on it? six? seven? I think I wouldve made a couple of jokes at that.

Kuroshio 06-21-2010 01:07 AM

He kept demanding I use 4 fingers. I (and prolly most people) can't control the throttle and brake at the same time with 4 fingers on the brake.

Dunno what issue was. On the emergency braking exercise, I stopped with half the lane left over. And when trying to ride as slow as possible, I had everyone backed up behind me.

raylee 06-21-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 937247)
raylee, just ask yourself something: Who do you ride for?

I ride for you, Kuro. :icon_hug: :icon_teeth: :icon_special:

But really, who I ride for doesn't have much to do with the fact that I don't like it when people try to tell me what to do. Especially people who have no bearing on my life.

NateDieselF4i 06-21-2010 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by raylee (Post 937389)
I ride for you, Kuro. :icon_hug: :icon_teeth: :icon_special:

But really, who I ride for doesn't have much to do with the fact that I don't like it when people try to tell me what to do. Especially people who have no bearing on my life.

I'm pretty sure that's what Kuro was getting at ray. you know how when people get old though they start to talk all cryptic and yoda like.