Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I need your suggestions! What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your suggestions! What do I do?

Ok I don't want to make this story too long so I will try to stick with just the most important stuff.

Acouple months ago my Bro-in-Law started hanging around with some new kids and stopped hanging out with his old friends me included.
We would try to get him to come on rides with us but he always had an excuse to stay home with his new friends. At first I didn't care that much
because I'm all about making new friends, just not bad ones. Anyways to get to the bottom of this story I found out that he started smoking pot
multiple times a day with his new friends. And I really don't have that big a problem with pot I mean i use to do it I get it. But when you do it multiple times a day thats seems like a problem to me.
Anyways today I found out that him and his friends are doing something else.
He called one of his friends and tried to track down some cocaine........His friend called my wife and told her what happened.
I don't know what to do?
I found out that my good friend and bro-in-law has done cocaine a few times and now he is trying to buy some himself.
I need help...(he needs help)

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do?

p.s. My wife, good friend, and I told his Dad about what we heard today, and he asked him about it and he just lied and said that people are starting rumors about him, and he never did that.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Default RE: I need your suggestions! What do I do?

Jake:

" I told his dad" gives me the impression you're quite young.
Good looking out for your bro. But you'll probably have to confront him yourself as well.

His sister (your girlfriend/wife?) will probably also need to talk to him.

If he still lies and denies it. keep in mind that some pharmacies now sell a drug detection kit where you take a hair sample and send it out to them, and for about $80 they give you the results in about 2 weeks.

Ask him to voluntarily take one of those tests.

You can try to help him , and I commend you for it, but ultimately it's his choice to theow his life down hte drain, (and his parents to believe either you or him. )

Old 10-30-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks dude,

I am 22 years old and yes his sister is my wife
Right now she is talking to him on the phone but it sounds like it isn't going anywhere.
I hope she can get through to him....

Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 PM

Talk to him.

Let him know you are worried about him, and want to help him.

It might take some time to get through to him, especially if he flat out denies that he has a problem. (BTW denying hte problem is the first sign of an addiction, if you know for sure he has this problem.)

Sometimes all you can do is let them know that you are just trying to look out for their well being.

I feel your pain. My Wife's younger brother (I'm 29, he's 24) has had similar problems since he was 14. You cen try to help them, but sometimes you have to let them smack themselves against the wall a couple of times if they decide they don't want to be helped.

In your case... It sounds as if you are still not too late, and might be able to help him out.

Good luck

Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 PM

Intervention is a touchy, often poorly handled 'solution'. Confrontation usually pushes people further away, closer to their habits--which they love because drugs never talk back or want them to stop. Not everyone who uses drugs is a bad person (I've sampled/used everything but the black), it's the abuser that spends rent on a baggy or gets fired from their job because of it, that you should worry about. Then they start stealing, lying to everyone, and jail always follows. You obviously don't trust him to keep the shtt in check, and since your sister is his wife, his actions could make this your business. Some people have to try different ways to get high, but it doesn't mean he'll turn into a junk. Like with me, for instance, my adrenal gland putters out sometimes, and I need something, anything, to keep the good times rolling, but I've chosen renewable resources like sportbikes to handle it, rather than burn money on something that's over and gone in twenty minutes. Best case, he gets what he wants for a while, then decides it's just not worth the money and effort. Worst case, he'll forsake everything important to keep the bags coming. It's a decision only he can make, but nagging and ragging could just push him in the wrong direction. He's an adult, married, and capable of making his own choices, so give him that respect first, then tell him that if he ever does anything to harm your sister, you'll break his face.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM

Catch him buy it or selling it on tape and let him sit in jail for a little while. It usually will straighten people out.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 PM

no dont do that. jesus. How old is he? younger or older than you? At 22 thats not really an uncommon thing. Just make sure if hes younger that it doesnt get out of control. My good friend got so hooked he was stealing from his parents and ****. If he is younger than you, and you are physically more intimidating, then have a big brother kind of talk to him. Be very serious. Just tell him not to get out of control with the **** and to be careful. If he is older than you, or feels like he can kick your *** for getting in his business. Then leave it alone basically. If you suspect him losing control or stealing and **** like that, just notify the people who are directly associated with him.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 AM

I say beat his *** within an inch of his life so he can't do any drugs LOL Joking. It does sound like he's going down the wrong path and I think it great that you care so much. It's had to stop someone from doing what they want. 1'm 29 and my half bro is 21 and all he wants to do is drink every day and smoke weed when he can. It kills me to see him to this to himself and I have tried to talk to him, but he just tells me to get the stick out of my ***. He use to be in good shape and awesome at sports and wake boarding, but now he has a huge beer gut and is slugish.

Try to just let him know you care and that you don't want to see he F up his life and that is what he's going to do if he stays on this path. For some people they just ahve to learn the hard way.

Good luck and I hope he gets this under control before it's too late.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 AM

I've done my fair share of "illegals". But just talk to him and see where he's at!! Don't come down hard on him. Just have a conversation and let him know you got his back. Some people need to fall in order to get back up.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Retired Moderator

I hate to say it, but there is not much you can do unless he wants to change. That is a hard situation to deal with because you care about the guy. Does he have an addictive personality or is he just experimenting? Hopefully you can let him know how risky it is and how much you guys want to see that he stays well. Coke, meth...that stuff changes a person's soul if it gets a hold of them. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: I need your suggestions! What do I do?