Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I need a tool set

Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience on "Deals" in general, is they're more likely to be found on site, in person.

Clearance, closeouts, open box, etc just don't make it the websites unless its a national markdown or corporate wide over stock.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:21 PM

Yea I think is rather go to the store and look at em and put em in my hand.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Make a list and visit the store weekly when the sales change. Lowes sends out money off coupons that work on sales items. Don't give up looking online, there are online only specials as well.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

just a thought - look to see if your area has a used tool shop. there's one in my area and it's been really great! you can get good tools for very good prices. same thing with most pawn shops. you can get nice impact driver sockets for a buck, ratchet wrenches for $2. these kind of places are where i've gotten my tool chests, air impact wrenches, compressors, countless sockets, jigs, screwdrivers, and wrenches.

and for certain things at harbor freight, remember that in the back of motorcyclist magazine and cycle world - HF usually has a 2 full page ad of coupons motorcycle related. i picked up a 1/2 drive torque wrench for $10. i also got a 1000lb pedal hydraulic motorcycle lift there for $299. they're reasonable on shop presses too. if you were going to start sand blasting - their sand blasting tank is really cheap for what you get. that kind of thing

sockets and screwdrivers - do NOT cheap out on those. like stated above, it can lead to more problems. but other things (like rear stands for example) - you should go on the cheap.

especially when you have a budget. and believe everyone else and me on here when i say this - once you start collecting tools, there will always be new ones needed. the more you start to do on your own, the more you'll realize you can do, and thus, the more tools you'll need to do those things.

nice tool kits can also be had at costco - and even after you get a nice big collection of tools, those kits still help a lot. i carry one in my 1988 bronco whenever i leave the house - you know, just in case

Last edited by Conrice; 08-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Get good tools. Spend the extra money. They are well worth it, and will last forever. You will pass them on to your kids. My boy will be really happy someday when he gets my $100k in snap on and other pro stuff....

Hey DAD??? lol jk your kid will be very happy with them tools

Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought a set of Bahco tools a couple of years back

Very similar to this set

Absolutely fantastic quality for the price. It's the toolset that goes with me everywhere when 4 wheel driving, or travelling any distance at all.

It has rebuilt a number of bikes with very few additonal tools needed and to top it off....................................is the only set I own that gets locked IN THE HOUSE(!) when I'm away (without a vehicle ).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Im been in the market also. I been looking at Craftsman and waiting for a deal to trigger my buying reaction. I been keeping a close eye on craigslist ads right now.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 PM

craftsman socket wrenches will break eventually but the lifetime warranty makes up for that lol.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 AM

Good harbor freight tools:
1/2 breaker bar
digital micrometer(valve shims)
impact sockets, as long as you dont get them wet...
big flat head screwdriver for clutch/brake levers.
1/2 click torque wrench( lugs axles etc ONLY)

Do not cheap out on:
1. Allens
2. screw drivers

don not use 12 point taiwan/china sockets. ( I have personally never needed a 12 pt socket)

I would personally get one of the 50-100+ mechanics tool kits(choose whatever brand you want just not HF), ACE hardware red 4 end screw driver(i have never stripped a screw with it some how), shop all around town for some quality Allen wrenches.

then piece together your tools after that as you need/break/loose, and avoid the cheap stuff forward.

oh and a rubber mallet. I personally love nut drivers, but havent used them on the RR yet.

edit: a lot of the craftsman stuff has been shipped over to east asia, and they are slimming down the selection that has the lifetime warranty. so a lot is the same crap you buy anywere else.

Last edited by tucsondude; 08-13-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:27 AM

Yea I saw that torque wrench in my motorcyclist mag for 9.99 I think ill go ahead and get that. Can't pass it up. That's what made me browse through harbor freight.
And I have a place called retool around me they sell second hand tools. Gonna head up there this week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need a tool set