Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I might be changing my mind about my headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I might be changing my mind about my headlight

Ok, I originally wanted to install R6 projectors in my 1000RR. Now, after looking around a bit more, I think I might install a set of Bi-Xenon healights from a BMW or Escalade.. or what ever will fit.

the reason for this is I want two high beams and two low beams. Apparently, the Bi-xenon has a motorized shield internally in the headlight that acts as a low/high beam. So, you will still only have one bulb per side, but when you hit the high beams, the shield moves up and lets the light shine farther down the road.. I like the looks of the R6 quad projectors, but I think the dual lights would be better for visibilty and thats truely what I am after as I do a considerable amount of night driving..

any input?

Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I might be changing my mind about my headlight

Hmmmmm, sounds good considering your choice is for safety 1st. i am w/ you, the looks of the R6 lights would prob. look better, but sounds like the Escalade lights would be best for YOU. pics?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Um, I don't think any input here is going to matter. Sounds like you already decided which one you like more.

The only thing you have to worry about now is cost. BMW bi-xenon projectors are not cheap.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:15 PM

the projectors themselves sell for under 100 bucks for both on ebay. But its about 200 bucks more for all the hardware. The other nice thing about it is the fit would much easier.

here is a pic of an R6 with em, I couldnt find a 1000RR with the mod done.

I did speak too soon though, the escalade ones are 4 inch dia and dont think they will fit. the bmw are 3 inch and look like they will fit.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy shiiiiiit man, those lights look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 PM

do it. not many people i know about mod the headlights on a street bike

Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 PM

Yeah, I like em. But I like the quad look better. But, its still an improvement in looks even with just two. Once I get the money saved up, I'll post up some pics of the mod.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 AM

I added HID's to my ride. I really hate the lag in the high beam coming up to full intensity. I ride the 80 corridor from Lake Tahoe down to Reno at night and most of the time just leave the high beam off because it takes longer for the light to come up to intensity than another car in the other direction. I wish it was more instant like regular lights, especially for flashing idiots with their high beams blinding me. Keep us posted.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:06 AM

Do your HID's have the shields like I was talking about with the projectors, or does it just increase in intensity?

I think the shields react just about as fast as normal lights as the bulb doesnt change intensity, just a cover slides about 20-30 thousands of an inch revealing more light. Its very similar to what Yamaha's R1 is doing now. If it works for an R1 and BMW, it should work for me...lol

It looks like it will be a little while before I get it done. It will be a great winter project. Looks like I'll have to fab up some mounting brackets too. If it turns out good, I'll post up a full report with pics n all.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:40 PM

NO, my HID's are plug and play replacements lights. So just like stock the right light is low and the left is high. They are blindingly/insanely bright, but riding on the freeway where you are constantly flicking on/off the high beam for oncoming traffic is just not working because of the lag for the high to come up to full brightness. They are awesome and I would never think about switching back, but your project sounds like a perfect fix. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: I might be changing my mind about my headlight