Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I leanred something yesterday about wheelies...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I leanred something yesterday about wheelies...

Its interesting to me that there is so much wheelie bashing on here. The type of person who rides these kinds of bikes are not the type of people who are looking to go on a slow sunday drive through the countryside. We want a little more adrenaline than that. We want the excitement of speed and knowing that we are riding a rocket that can do wheelies when we want to. Otherwise we'd probably be content riding a bicycle. It's possible to do wheelies in a non-reckless manner just as it is possible to do slides, 360's reverse 180's and such in cars and trucks and be in control.
The simple act of pulling a wheelie is not reckless in and of itself, although it can be. Some say its illegal or against the law, but that is simply because there aren't enough bikers in the legislature. What is illegal at one time may not be at a later time and is simply the reflection of those making the laws and what THEY perceive to be beneficial to society, or what they think is popular and will keep them in office a little longer. Laws aren't sacred, they change all the time.
To the bashers I say get over yourself. Relax and get it up when you can. You might get caught and have to pay a fine or something, you just have to ask yourself if it's worth it to you.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend used to stunt in a t shirt that said "i do wheelies and run from the cops"

Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

Well, I ride an'91CBR1000F, which admittedly isn't the tire-shredding bike the newer bikes are, and I do enjoy a slow cruise through thecountry once in a while. If you wantthe adreniline rush of speedand doing wheelies, that's okay, justhead for the track to get it. Speaking of the track, if oneis as in control on one wheel as you say, why do those who race bikes on pavement work so hard to keep both wheels down? Other than the mandatory one-wheel ride after the finish line those guys don't do extended wheelies. I realize that words won't change your point of view,anymore than they will changemine, so I'll just sign off with wishes that you don't endup in a stupid wheelie trick video.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM

are you serious man,maybe they try to keep the wheel down because theyre either leaned over, or topping out on a straight away, neighter of which require wheelies, go watch some vids of mana the natural and then come say ppl arent in control on the back tire

Old 05-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Users

wheelies slow you down....when the guy's on the track bring it up they slow down and get passed thus why they would want that tire down....but who wants to do fast wheelies anyway? circle's are the sexyness right?

Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Err

look around first before hoisting it, or just give them the okie-doke...

+1000

Nuff said really .02

Old 05-18-2007, 01:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Flip

... they are considered reckless driving.

Mother F'er. I've only been doing wheelies for a few weeks and yesterday when i had a good stretch of road i threw up the best one i have ever done, only to have the black SUV behind me be a cop who pulled me over and gave me a reckless driving ticket.

"What are you doing wheelie'ing on Nutley Street, son?"
"Oh you know, officer, it was stupid, sometimes the torque gets away from me."
"I ride motorcycles, son, and it never gets away from me. Do you know it is reckless driving?"
"No sir."
"Do you know you could spend a year in jail for reckless driving?"
"No sir"
"Well, now you know. License and registration please, wait here"
"You cannot prepay this ticket, your court date is mandatory. Let me ask you, why would you drive like that?"
"I dont know, to tell you the truth i've only just discovered my bike could even do a wheelie afew weeks ago."
"Uh huh, right, now get out of here."
"Gee, thanks, sir..."

Wasnt speeding, had full gear, bike was up to date on all stickers, i actually had my registration... Couldnt the ****er let me go with a warning?

****, if i get points on my record, lose my license, or go to friggin jail, i'm going to be pissed!!! We'll see on July 9th.
That's why you always check and see what cars are around you.

Go out in the country and do that stuff....or have a back alley or 3 and do it there.

I'm just assuming Nutley street is a residential area, and that you made more than one attempt before your best wheelie.

Also, the word Nutley...that's bound to attract cops...just by the name.

Officer sighs...thinks to self..."Maybe I'll check out Nutley for any nuts"...officer chuckles mentally...

Then sees you.

I hope you get a break...but...

Old 05-18-2007, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: CBRFREEK

Youre an upstanding citizen..do the smart thing..get a lawyer...i walked away from two speeding tickets in a week...69/40 and 74/40 which i might add is reckless driving...i got a lawyer and got traffic 4 hr online for the first one and an 8 hr traffic school for number two and 120 days supervision..they evern knocked the 74/40 down to 59 just so it would lower my fine...dont fret..get legal representation and let your lawyer do the talking...its gonna cost ya but dont go it alone...its goin to be ok..youre not goin to jail..or lose your license..either of you...besides if it were really bad...he would of pulled your bikes on site..get a lawyer..and watch out next time...i dont drag race at stop lights anymore..i learned my lesson....cost me almost 1k to get out of that jam...

O yea and my record was spotless until those 2 tickets..and my insurance never went up..in fact it went down...so lawyer up ...
+1...

Old 05-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Retired Moderator

I don't mean to preach, but you popped a wheelie and got caught. Yes, it's reckless driving (what else would it be?). You knew it was illegal to do in the first place, you did anyway and got caught. Now you have to deal with the consequences like a grown up. It's not the police officers fault, he was not an "*******" because he wrote you a ticket. He's not the one that makes the laws, he just upholds it. You should have done your homework to find out what the penalty was for wheelies before even doing it.

Now, I'm not saying all this to **** anyone off. I just think it's unfair trying to push blame onto the police officer when it was completely 100% your fault. I just felt like I should speak up a little.

If it's any consolation, I've been pulled over reckless driving before too (way back in high school). I was doing 98 in a 15 MPH zone (extremely stupid). At the time, I was just mad at the cop because I got caught. Now I realize it was the most retarded thing I could have ever done. I got the ticket reduced to just a speeding ticket, but for the 3 months of restless sleep I went through while reading up on jail time and fines, I became a much more mature driver. I would suggest taking this as a sign. If you must wheelie, take it to some back lot, and off public roads.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Geez, right there is the kind of BS i was talking about. I pop a 3 second wheelie, not speeding,with noone around me (yes, a few cars behind me, but they wont get in the way) and yet i'm stuck in the same category as a guy who goes 98 in a 15 zone... How can both these circumstances be penalized the same?

Quick Reply: I leanred something yesterday about wheelies...