Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I have a starting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a starting problem!

I have this starting problem and im new to bikes, and this forum stuff... well the problem is, the bike was running fine when i got it and then all the sudden it didnt want to start, it seemed as tho it was the battery so i got a new $45 at walmart i didnt charge it before putting it on (mistake i know) but im starting to think its the alternator, cause my lights act up sometimes, when i try to start it i get a lot of clicking sounds coming from the battery area and from the relays, also i got upset so i just left it alone left it there the next day at night i went to go look at it again went to go start it and it started up took about 4 to 5 seconds holding the button down and it started up, then i shut it off and back to the same clicking sounds =/..... can someone help me out

Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well first out is welcome aboard! Next, chillax dude It's not major till you know its major.

It sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere. Hard to really say without really diagnosing things. Things you should prolly check before grabbing the voltmeter are:
  • Battery connection
  • Starter switch
  • Starter relay
  • Fuses (including the master fuse)
  • Ignition
  • Any splices in the wire harness

A loose or poor connection can cause starting problems. Your lights acting up seem to point in that direction

Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to ask the obvious but you did charge it rite?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM

ok, tomorrow i will try that step by step i just dont really know exactly whats what so its gana take me a while... but u gotta do wat u gotta do..... oh and the starter switch was soltered on and came off but amazingly it still works, its starts with no problem .... but ima check everthing like u said, any other suggestions?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 PM

before putting the new battery no i did not, but it was running fine and then all the sudden it just didnt wana start, also last night after letting it sit for about 24hrs without touching it i went to start it and it started up so i shut it off to see it it would start again and it didnt only a bunch of clicking sounds from battery area and relay

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 01F4iPlatano
ok, tomorrow i will try that step by step i just dont really know exactly whats what so its gana take me a while... but u gotta do wat u gotta do..... oh and the starter switch was soltered on and came off but amazingly it still works, its starts with no problem .... but ima check everthing like u said, any other suggestions?
Err... The switch is soldered on? Might be you already know what your problem is. Bad solder on the switch has been known to cause electrical issues.

Get yourself some electrical contact cleaner and go to work. If something looks hinky, it might just be

Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 PM

Definitley a power issue. don't think it's the alternator because it wouldn't start at all. Not ruling that out, it's possible...Make sure that battery's charged up even if you have to take it somewhere to make sure cells are good. Don't Know what model your bike is, but I've heard on some models atleast 4000 rpms have to be reached so that
the battery can charge...Check fuses and wires. Make sure the wires are not being pinched. If the gas tank was taken off for maintenace make sure wire were put back in place and not being pinched. Sometimes wires get pinched when the bike comes to a hard stop. One more thing check fuses related to fule system. Are you sure fuel is feeding properly? Check fuel components like resevior switch, choke, etc.
Welcome!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM

its an 01 600 F4i

yea ima deffinately get the battery charged, i have a charger and i can leave it overnight right, or should i take it to get checked somewhere, question by putting the battery on without charging the battery first does that screw up the battery and now i have get a new one?

but about the starter switch im planning on getting a new switch! (what do you think)

keep your eyes open for whats going on, cause ima check tomorrow and i will deffinately be on here letting you guys know what i get and see where we go from there, thanks appreciate everyones help

Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 PM

Hard to really say. It'll depend on the quality of the battery. You might have shortened the battery's life by not fully charging it first.

As for the starter switch: don't get focused on that as the source of your problem. I just suggested it because it can be a cause of the type of problems you're having. So can loose connections on the battery posts too. When chasing down an electrical problem, the first thing you have to do is check the battery, check the fuses and then check the connections. If any of those aren't good, fix them and try again.

Once they all pass and you're still experiencing the problem, then you break out the manual and a voltmeter. And start replacing bad parts. So if you're handy with a solder iron, I'd try resoldering your current switch, cleaning up any suspect splices and making sure everything is tight.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 AM

ok ima see if i can get to that today... i appreciate it, i dont know anyone out here that can help idk anyone who works on bikes mechanically.... so i gotta do it all myself, and i never messed with a streetbike so this is all new to me

Quick Reply: I have a starting problem!