Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I have a new found respect for...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a new found respect for...

Roofers.

I spent today replacing a buddies roof with him and I am f**ked up. My back hurts, my hands hurt. I like to think I am in good shape (for my age 44), I lift 4 or 5 times a week, I max bench 275, supersets, drop sets, pyramid up/down, pre-exhaust,etc, cardio an hour at a time, but I really think I am a *****. I am a sissy, a fancyman, a dweeb, I am an estogen filled vajayjay. Thank god I never had to actually work for a living (thinking and crap ain't work, it is more like playing with puzzles), I would be dead by now.

Crap, I may even have a blister. Tomorrow, more of the same.

I'm gonna heat up a turkey pot pie, drink a bud and pass out.

If you don't hear for me tomorrow, send help.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Default RE: I have a new found respect for...

Well if you keep doing it you will sorta build a tolerance sorta speak. Your body will get use to it a little better after repeat tasks.

I spent a summer doing roofs for a summer job while I was in college. And the first day about killed me, not to mention I had the worst sun burn. The next day I just sucked it up and drank alot of gatoraid. Soaked myself in water and sunscreen. I made it and aclamated, but yeah I can't think of doing something like that forever.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

LOL.... Roofer's are some of the hardest working men in the trades. Most work on a "piece work" basis. So they only get paid for what they have laid down that day. They bust their asses off to get what they make.

Much respect to the roofers!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM

LOL ! I do roofs and exterior siding.. i quit doing shingle 2 years ago though, because i felt my body wouldn't last 40years doing shingle roofs. So i hear ya man. Its heavy, hot to work on, sticky, itchy, and is sandpaper ! Really sucks if your hand nailing and dont have a shingle jack/evevator.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father was a roofer, and all of my seven brothers at one point in thier lives...

I hear you!

On top of that, they always scared prospective boyfriends away.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Crap, I may even have a blister.

I cant stop laughing at this

Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM

Hardest day of workI have ever experienced was when i helped a friend tear two sets of shingles off of his roof as a favor. That was tough. Then we proceeded to carry the new bundles up the ladder at the end of the day. I will never do that again. F to that.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Amen.. I roofed my first summer in California.. not only was i the only english speaker, but the only kid from this country working there.. hardest work i have ever done.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

Yep, did ground work for a crew for the first half of my 19th summer, was up top for the second half. I don't know which was worse.

Ground was nasty dirty work but you could get away from the sun. Up top was "cleaner" but hawter than hell. That was enough for me.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Roofing is not easy stuff. I have a friend who's dad does roofing for a living. He's asked me if I wanted to work for him at all and I always turn him down. I've done roofing a couple summers and I can't say as though I've felt real sore or anything afterward, its usually just sunburnt and sore/blistered hands, but I'm in no hurry to do it again.

How big was this roof if you were able to do it in a day? Were there a lot of people or do you old guys just throw shingles like mad?

Quick Reply: I have a new found respect for...