Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I got my Motorcycle License today

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up I got my Motorcycle License today

I went and took my riding part today. I have had my permit for about a year now, which allows me to ride with a helmet and not at night. I had the endorsement like 12 years ago but since my wife didn't approve of motorcycles I like it expire. I took the Military riding course back then too.

I could not believe the failure rate of the people taking the riding part. I can not believe these people are out on the road with me. There was a guy on a 600rr that swore that his bike could not make the turn. My bike could make it and the HD Road kings and all the other ones that passed the test could make the turn.

The Instructor had five people at a time take the riding part. Three would pass at a time mostly. The guy with the rr failed out first corner he was so bad. Sorry for the rant but I believe that alot of people need some more edumacation before they are allow on the roads with me and my family.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its worse when you're at the MSF and people fail. At mine, they flat out said the only way to fail was to stunt or drop the bike. 2 people failed, including a woman who was on her 5th attempt.

I can see how a person would fail tho if they didn't practice for a few weeks prior. Slow speed maneuvers were my Achilles Heel at the start of the BRC riding portion. And I still screwed the figure 8. I just didn't have the hang of moving that slow (nobody said anything about counter-balancing and using the rear brake ). I actually was going slightly too fast for their taste during the cornering part, leaning that 250 down hard to make the turn. But I felt totally at ease during that part.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW: Congrats! Course, it'd been more fun to tease you if you had failed

Thought you had your license

Old 04-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the pass....

I agree, there are a lot of people that should not be on the road.

But the test, (the one here anyway), is not sportbike friendly. It is much easier to ride a full dress harley through the course than a 600rr. The lock to lock on a newer sportbike is rediculous for the test. Plus, you are over the gas tank, not sitting in the bike like the older sportbikes. Great for highspeed stability, bad for really slow navigation.

I know years ago when I took my test, I took it on an F3. I passed the test my first attempt, but I did have a few lost points, and one was the 90 degree turn where I went just outside of the lines. There is a reason people suggest using bikes like enduro's or cruiser type bikes. Sportbikes, especially the newer style, are extremely hard to navigate that course. Its not that they can't make it, but I would bet a lot of people who passed that test on a different bike, could not pass the test on a newer sportbike.

Also, I really don't feel the parking lot test is a very good representation of what will be encountered on the road. I don't know of a better way, and it is a good way to tell if someone can actually handle their bike, but just because someone fails that test, I don't think makes them a dangerous rider.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Nex

congrats on getting your license! I would have figured you had it as well I took the MSF BRC before I even got my own bike. In WI, if you pass the MSF, all you have to do is pass the DMV written and your certified Class M I would not enjoy having a DMV rep following me on a bike.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you got it. :-)

Nice bike ya got there too... wink wink. ;-)

Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

congo rats

Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks all, Now I can ride at night. I can drive an 18 wheeler with hazmat, pull doubles, tankers, cager, now 2 wheel cause it fills the soul.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you drive a tank Indy ?
Congrats on the pass.
FWIW I agree that the test on a sportsbike is more difficult because of the small turning radius - I wouldn't even try it with my 1000F !

Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM

congrats. hope to see you on the road!

Quick Reply: I got my Motorcycle License today