Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I finally did it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally did it!

Anyone who knows me knows I'm constantly flowing with ideas on how to make money. I could fill a friggin', "As Seen On TV" store with my ideas, lol.

So I've decided to share this, "celebration" with you guys.

Last night I finally decided enough is enough. I have a ton of ideas, and a handfull that require little to nothing out of pocket for me. I picked the best one of the ones that require little cash from me to begin...

I hashed out a sales pitch last night for around 5 hours. I used some ideas from my magician days, and applied them to this sales pitch. Finally, I gotit where I wanted it and had to go to bed at around 4am. Alarm went off at 730am and I got up, got ready, psyched myself out, and made some sales calls.

The first one was horrible! Lol, I actually had his interest, I simply couldn't sell my product based on my limited closing experience (none!). My voice didn't notcieably shake, but I did have to take a few moments, clear my throat and take some deep breaths (I apologized saying the weather changing was getting the best of me, lol). Anyway, so the great thing about my first call was that I got through the whole thing! Like I said, he was interested, I just didn't have the skills yet to close him.

My second call shoo-ed me out the door after introducing myself.

Third call... success! She was litterally about 3 seconds away from telling me to get lost, I think, and I knew it. The only thing I could do was talk. I had to cut her off and get something out. I did and her face changed! It went from an annoyed look to one of genuine interest! I made it completely through my presentation (2 minutes) and sold her on the program. I go back tomorrow at 2pm to sign the agreements, I'm so excited!

Fourth call, "can't help ya."

Fifth call... success! This was my favorite as my confidence was tight at this point AND because we talked in his office at his request which made the whole thing much more personal. I went through my presentation, answered his questions and made a deal for my 3 month package! Holy sh*t! That's $499 in my pocket!

Now, I'm sorry I can't tell you what the idea is and I'm sorry - kind of a let down, I guess. BUT, if it does as well as I believe it can, I would be happy to share some information withsome of you who may be interested.

Keep in mind, I'm not soliciting anything! I want to make that very clear (hell, I'm not even saying what it is, lol). I am however offering to possibly share this with interested parties only after viewing it's success or failure. It's still waaaay too early to tell, but out of 5 calls today, I signed up 2. That's pretty facking good for someone who's never sold anything a day in my life!

Anyway, this program will consist of no more than 2 hours per week, per client. 1 client yeilds $499/3 months. That's $166/month for around 8 hours, "work." That's $20 an hour.

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to sell you guys something (I am not), I'm just really excited about this and I am excited that I've acquired 2 clients today! I've never had, "clients" before, lol!! I guess I'm bragging... I made $1000 in about 3 hours today!!!

Anyway - do we have any other business owners here? Entrepanuers?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Default RE: I finally did it!

congrats man, seems like the future holds many good things for you. i hope youll be able to tell us what is soon. maybe be able to get you more clients. keep your nose to the grind stone. good luck

Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Grats! But you know we are all dying to know what it is now, c'mon!!! tell us what it is!!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Yep...

My family runs an Oil and Gas Brokerage Firm, I negotiate contracts and runtitleforOil & Gas companies that want our services. Selling myself and peers is what i do on a daily basis. I sell our ability to conduct clean, efficient, and highly productive oil and gas wells.

Honestly the trick is even if you dont know what your are talking about be confident enough that they dont know the difference. I could sell poop the the person who just got off the pot.

So what kind of clients do you have? Just curious, i did some **** out of high school like Cutco, went to one meeting that was to sell Kirby's yes the vac. cleaner. Needless to say i was gone by the first cig break. hahaha

good luck

Old 03-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

Hey thanks guys!

Okie, I kind of figured something of that from you, given from some hints in your posts - I was hoping you or someone with the knowledge would come in!

So I've got a question... mind if I pick your brain?

I know right now that I've got my basic pitch to what I think is great, it's cold calling. I've been able to get through it 4 out of 5 times so I like it so far - my problem is in sealing the deal.

Right after I'm finished (less than a minute and a half), I have a transition line that I'm not entirely happy with. I don't think I'm nailing the confidence on it. I feel like I'm doing it for the first time, though I'm not certain they feel that way - I know it could be better.

Mind if I shoot you a PM with my concern? Mind making some suggestions?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

Heh, sorry guys! Only because I want to refine it on my own, then offer it. I don't even know if it will work but if it does, I want to capitalize on it, lol. Gotta love capitalists!

I will however annoy you by telling you it's literally as easy as walking and maybe some 3rd grade skills... of course that's afterI make the sale!

I've just gotta nail this closing thing and I'll feel unbeatable. Any recommended reading? Glengarry Glenross is always good!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing computer support

Old 03-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Don't forget... cold calling (telemarketing is the buisness I'm in... not AS a telemarketer, but our product is what they use) is subject to the national Do Not Call list (The NDNC), as well as the state DNC's. I'd hate for you to get slapped with a nasty fine (depending on the state, it's either $5000 or $11,000 PER call). There are exceptions... and since I don't know what you're doing, I can't say for sure... but still, I kinda doubt it.

Just tryin' to make sure your new idea doesn't get broad-sided.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM

let me start by saying this..

dont use a script..

every sale/contract/client is different, and will respond differently to the same script. You need to make sure you know your material forwards and backwards..

second..

i dont do anything but set up a meeting over the phone.. anythin you do over the phone is considered telemarketing.. I have called people to tell them i have $1,000,000 bank draft for them, and they hang up on me before i can get a word out, so i call back and leave a message telling them why i was calling, and sure as **** in the pot i get a phone call back.

So i would reccomend calling and setting up some meetings, so you can meet someone in person, buyers/clients have alot more respect for someone will come face to face with them.

now.. closing a sale is like a snowflake.. never the same..

what you need to make sure you point out..

what benefit does your merch. provide to the person you are selling it to

why do they need to buy it.. not why should they buy it..
never lead on to there being a decision.. make them think you are there to find out how much they want not if they want it..

your whole pitch should sound confident and project the image "its your loss if you dont buy what i have to sell" make them think your product is that valuable..

and man.. last but definately not least.. practice..

call as many people as you can.. and the ones that you think are going to be smaller volume clients, make them your practice.. no sense in learning your lessons over the big fish..

Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

No computers!

I'm sorry, by cold-calling, I mean I personally approach business owners during regular business hours without an appointment.

Interestingly enough, it has nothing to do with anything I'm interested in personally, other than making my own money. It is a unique marketing program for small-to medium sized businesses.

That's all I'm saying!!!

Any advice from the sales people here on closing or rules to consider in general?

Quick Reply: I finally did it!