Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

i dont fit in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its all really about how you like to ride and what your comfortable with. when i ride with some one that is like you i keep my riding within their limits, i wont be the guy that lets someone follow me into a turn and let them crash because of my pace (this has almost happend once but i was'nt going to fast he was a new rider and thought all you had to do was lean to turn) just find some good friends to ride with and be safe

Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's an article called "The Pace" that is a good reminder of how you should ride. It doesn't mean riding like a granny ... just knowing that you have your bike under control for the conditions.

Personally, I prefer riding alone. It's the only time I get a little peace and quiet (well, not really quiet -- it is a loud arsed hardley ) ... me time. Occasionally I'll ride with someone I've known for years. But that is rare.

It's o.k. not to fit in sometimes. I mean, why would you wanna fit in with the organ donor crowd? Bikes are lighter than cars but you're still talking 500# of mass flying around at 120mph. Imagine losing the center line in a corner and killin a 5 year old kid in a car. That'd suck ...

Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by super600
...what do you think i should do? im starting to think the only people i would fit in riding with would be guys way older and mature, and there aren't any out here haha.
I think you should ride your own ride...you'll live longer. Set a good example of riding safely & you'll be surprised how many want to with *you*.

Don't let others dictate how you ride. If they want to leave you behind, so be it...at least you'll know that you'll arrive alive & will be safe doing it.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM

I ,too, had that same situation when I was 22 and the almighty CBR600F was king. I rode with a group of guys who I didn't know but they always met at the same place to ride on Sunday. I was a noob and they were not. I had to stop riding with them just because I didn't want to wreck my new ride or injure myself. Take some time to learn how to ride better at your own pace. Eventually you will meet some more responsible people to ride with and you will be more comfortable. It will also allow you to ride 20 years later and possibly with your own kid! I'm looking forward to riding with my boy.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM

thanks guys, lots of good advice. the past summer i rode by myself more than 75% of the time, and i do enjoy being alone also and taking the roads i like to ride on at speeds i have fun doing. i also agree with the cramped feeling. about 7 bikes split side to side feels like its pushin the width of the road. but whenever im in the car and i see a group of 3 or more riders buzzin by it gets me all exited. i love the way it sounds and looks with about 3 of them, i really love the sound of more than 1 shifting and accelerating at different speeds. it always looks like they have fun being in a small group because they get more focus on them, and again it just really looks like a fun setting.

i just would like to be in a group that cant afford a ticket or death like me.

i also really enjoy having my girlfriend on the back because i dont feel so alone, even tho we cant really talk to eachother haha. im really comfortable with a passenger but i dont even do that much just because i know at anytime my fault or not something could go wrong and i dont want to be the one to kill someone close to me.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM

If this were at a track we would all tell you to toughen up and practice harder, but they should understand and ride with you, or not invite you.

ANYTIME someone new rides with me, or my only other friend I ride with, they ride in front. I dont want them trying to 'keep up', they set the pace.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Not to mention their disrespect for everyone elses' lives out there (I don't care they if they break the law, endangering others is when I'm pissed).

Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well there is an alternative: look for non-sport bike specific club. Lotta times there are generic clubs around. When there are cruisers and tour bikes in the mix, the likelihood of 145 mph+ and 90 mph wheelies goes way down.

Or what you can try is organizing your own 'bike night'. See a rider, chat him / her up and suggest meeting at a local restaurant or cafe once a month. Spread the word from there. You can't be the only person in that area on 2 wheels that would like a chance to get together with other sane riders every once in a while. Might even try posting on Craigslist (just make sure the meet point is very public)

Everyone else already hit you with the 'ride in your limits' mantra. Honestly don't think it's necessary to add another chime in since you already seem to have your helmet on tight.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by super600
thanks guys, lots of good advice. the past summer i rode by myself more than 75% of the time, and i do enjoy being alone also and taking the roads i like to ride on at speeds i have fun doing. i also agree with the cramped feeling. about 7 bikes split side to side feels like its pushin the width of the road. but whenever im in the car and i see a group of 3 or more riders buzzin by it gets me all exited. i love the way it sounds and looks with about 3 of them, i really love the sound of more than 1 shifting and accelerating at different speeds. it always looks like they have fun being in a small group because they get more focus on them, and again it just really looks like a fun setting.

i just would like to be in a group that cant afford a ticket or death like me.

i also really enjoy having my girlfriend on the back because i dont feel so alone, even tho we cant really talk to eachother haha. im really comfortable with a passenger but i dont even do that much just because i know at anytime my fault or not something could go wrong and i dont want to be the one to kill someone close to me.
Just to kind of bounce off what everyone said (Everyone had great answers) I kind of know what you feel like man, riding by yourself can kind of give you an "alone" feeling and riding with a few people is always fun, the heads turning and people looking at you as you take off down the road ect.! Im 21 and that "cool" feeling is great! (Ive heard it becomes less important the longer you ride) I dont have a lot of people around here I ride with either, Ive been out once or twice with a local riding group or gone to a bike night and it is fun ..a lot of fun! ( I also road alone 75% + this passed season) But don't become a statistic because others dont respect the way you ride. Stay within your limits, plus riding alone isn't all that bad you can clear your head! Enjoy your life and your bike, hell maybe you will meet some riding buddies this coming season you never know. Plus look at all your responses on here, any one of us would more than likely ride with you. Just gotta find the right people to hang around. Seems like you want to live a full fun life. Dont waste your time on those who are careless whether you live that full life or not.....Ok I'm done ranting....I just had to get that off my chest I felt the same way at one point!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM

reminds me of the first time i went riding. me and a buddy got bikes at the same time and got permits at the same time. his buddies had a season under their belts so they went a little faster. my back tire was bald ( i hadnt replaced it yet.) hell i didnt even have a permit ha ha. shhhhhhhhhh. anyway we went out on a ride ( cause i couldnt wait) and his buddies took off. and he did too. they would take turns coming back cause i didnt break the speed limit and plus no permit and a bald tire and no inspection. they started making fun of me for driving like a "grandma". so when i met them where we were headed, they took a look at my back tire and then decided that i really should not have been out anyway. ha ha ha. but they stopped making fun of me ha ha ha. i only went with them a couple more times (after i got my rear tire, and other important docs) but still didnt really push it. ha ha everybody slowed down though after one of their buddies died that season, too fast no gear (not that it would have saved him anyway) and a very poorly placed boulder. those guys will learn.

Quick Reply: i dont fit in?