Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

HP laptops

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP laptops

I am looking at getting a new computer and wanted some feedback or opions on them. I am looking into a HP Pavillion 9000 series. I was told Dell and Gateway are crap. Opions, preferances are welcome. Its sort of a Christmas present to myself while still paying off the bike.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Default RE: HP laptops

HP = ****
Dell = decent
Gateway = decent
Acer = ****
eMachines/other **** names = ****
Alienware = **** (now is owned by dell so idk)

I have had all of these brands are these are just my opinion.

Right now I have a gateway tablet laptop and it has been good to me.

________
Cumshot Massive

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 PM

^+1

fan of dell myself, everyone has an opinion, so you are going to get lots of different answeres. Have you checked out consumer reports? They are really good at giving you an overview without personal bias.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e..._sub/index.htm

Does sounds like you have your mind made up already. Just get what you like... they are all made with the same crap inside anyway.

MDFF

Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 PM

And on second though, it really depends on what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend.

For example, if you want really good internals (such as ATI graphics card, top of the line processors on the quality side) then IBM is a good choice. However, they tend to be very expensive for what you get. They want close to 2k for a laptop with like 512MB RAM and 80GB HD.

But for basic home/school use Dell usually has the best deals and customer service. They also do free troubleshooting/phone service and have good warranties which are hard to come by nowadays. Good luck
________
KISSING ADVICE FORUM

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Retired Moderator

Good pont MD, I buy a lot of things based on their ratings and opinions. The only problem I have with Dell (my home computer and work laptop are Dell) is the customer service. I can't understand the techs. I have never actually had them help me fix my problem, either (not that I've had many).

Old 11-30-2006, 01:08 PM

+1 with the foreign techies...but they are all that way nowadays. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get someone from the US that doesn't lie about their name being Jason when you know damn well it's Habib!
________
Bong

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 PM

Apple MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz)

I've had PCs and for the last 2 years I crossed over the Apple - I'm never going back! It's worth entertain the idea.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Brandon77

+1 with the foreign techies...but they are all that way nowadays. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get someone from the US that doesn't lie about their name being Jason when you know damn well it's Habib!
That is so funny! I've often thought they have strangely American names for someone from India..."Ello, my name is Ratnakar...I mean Bubba, can I elp you?" There is a show by the guy who did "Supersize Me" called "Thirty Days" where people put themselves in a situation the opposite of their beliefs. Anyway, one episode had a guy go to India to live as an outsourced phone operator (tech support) for thirty days. It is a prestigious job in India and they take a lot of pride in it. Gateway actually advertises that they have 100% North American based tech support. Sorry about the threadjacking so...what about the Sony Viao? Does anyone have an opinion on those?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 PM

mmmm...love sony's, cant believe i forgot to mention those. I haven't personally owned one but have had enough experience with them to know they are good.
________
HERBAL HEALTH SHOP

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:24 PM

I bought a Viao FE series a couple months ago and love it.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...Dept=computers

I think you pay a little more for Sony, i paid $1,600ish for one that has a 100GB HD, 2 GB duo processor, 1 GB RAM, the better screen option, WinMC, Win Basic Office, the better DVD re-writable option, and the integrated video card. I kind of wish i upgraded the vid card, but was told i can do that later if i need to. I dont play a lot of games on it, but it can handle the ones i do so far. I like it because it is thin and light, but has a nice widescreen that isnt too big or small and runs great. No tech issues so far. Also, you cant beat Sony's LCD screens.

I'm biased though since i really like it and have not tried other companies, so take that with a grain of salt. Dont get salt in your keyboard though.