Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How you ride now ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How you ride now ...

I was wondering how you all prefer to ride? ... solo or in groups? ... when I was late teens/early twenties I used to love riding with friends altogether in a large group. I think there was possibly upto fifteen of us at the height but always between eight and ten was fairly common. We'd meet up at Two Mills near Chester then head off into Wales for a blast ... it was great fun but I became increasingly weary of it... here's why ...

I found that if I was at the front you always felt pressure to keep up the pace ... you know "am I going too slow for them" ... so you up the speed and so it goes. I never liked being in the middle ... especially when one or two would start messing around, always made me nervous and I would have no where to put the bike being surrounded if they lost it. I found that riding at the rear made for hard work ... you didn't get the over takes the front guys get so you are having to work the box harder and generally feel under more stress to keep up.

These days I ride totally on my own and I love it that way ... I sometimes think it may be nice to ride with one or maybe two guys you feel safe with and know their riding style or even just a trusted partner would be good. I do love riding alone now though .. from those early heady days of blasting with the pack ... for me now it's become a solitary activity that I adore. Rather than winding on fast I'll take in the scenery instead and even stop for ages to admire it :-) ... it's just kinda funny how you change isn't it ...

Jules

Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How you ride now ...

I used to do a lot of the group ride benefits around the area over the summers. I had5 or6 guys I trusted riding with and we'd have a good time. Those events brought out more Harley riders than anything, but I've never had a problem with any of them. We are all on 2 wheels, aren't we? We've all gotten older now and I'm the only one who still has a bike. Most of my rides are solo now....Can't wait until my boys are old enough to ride on the back!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride solo most of the tyme.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned

solo. kinda like sex...oops...I think I shared to much. sorry.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:01 AM

I do a couple of benefit rides a year but other than that all my riding is either solo or with just one other friend. Riding Solo is great but if something happens there may not be anybody around that knew it happened and you could be out there alone a long time before anyone found you. That said, when I ride with someone I make sure they ride the same way I do so there is no waiting or catching up.When I ride solo I always give someone the general area I will be going, in case something does happen. Obviously there is no way to pin-point the route, as I may turn at any time, but a general direction is better than having the search party going the wrong way.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 to 6 that are a bit familiar with each others pace and style and don't pressure is ideal imo. The enjoyment for me is higher when there's someone else to share the ride with and +1 to the added safety. Plus I like having at least one goldwing type rider with us so they can pack watermelons or whatever when we stop by at scenic places for a break .. lol.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Oh trust you Tommy to lower the tone ... lol ... I've got something for you ... I'll post it in the 80's thread if I can ever find it again ... and I don't believe you're even remotely sorry!!

Jules

Old 04-27-2008, 11:58 AM

I usually prefer riding solo also. I do ride with 2 friends, and we all know eachother pretty well and its pretty laid back. I totally agree with what jules said about riding in the front and middle, it makes me pretty uncomfortable, even with only 3 or so bikes behind or around me. For me its because my comfort zone on my bike is the fact that i have all that room and the whole lane to maneuver if needed, but when theres bikes all around me i feel too claustraphobic(sp?)

Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I agree with my Latin-loving, orange-Speedo wearing, bungalow dwelling friend--you never know when some crazy bitch is going to use her vagina to get inside your checking account...

Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 PM

I usually ride solo for the fact most my buddies got rid of their bikes. I do ride with my dad quite a bit he has a harley. But 90% of the time I am flying solo...

Last summer was the first summer both my best friends had (running) bikes, we rode all the time together and it was alot of fun. but this summer my one friend is broke as hell....and my other friend just has a POS old bike that is always breaking down....SO looks like another summer of flying solo, other than when my dads home, then we ride alot

Quick Reply: How you ride now ...