Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How to survive on rat...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to survive on rat...

If you happen to be the last surviving person on earth, at least you now will know how to survive on rat. Little graphic during the prep stages, but it covers:
[ol][*]Catching rat[*]Prepping rat[*]Starting fire
[/ol]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J46qjt7T8RE

Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How to survive on rat...

Try eating a mixture of water monitor, monkey and snake in a stew - prepped in the bush by a Selous Scout (your equivalent would be, something like a recon unit) brilliant !! They wouldn't tell us what it was until we'd finished - tasted a bit like chicken, but when you haven't had a hot meal in 3 days....rat ? piece of cake, Woo !!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ate goat and iguana for dinner before, it was good. But I don't see myself eating rat, I am pretty handy with a cast net, so if worse came to worse I would be eating smoked mullet or even turtle, they are easy to catch, a good whack with a tree limb will do it. I guess I would really just catch the mullet then use it for bait and catch Snook or trout.

Eating rat isn't something I could ever imagine eating.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

With futher thought, I would dig up clams ( I live on the banana river), pick lemons and eat clams on the half shell. We even have stone crabs near the bridges here and lobster off the beach. Shrimp run fairly often too.Really the hard part is complying with the harvesting laws, but if I were the last person on earth, then I would just spear everything. It would be a little annoying, not having butter, but maybe a mix of coconut, lemon and dill would be a nice dipping sauce for the shellfish. Bay leaf is pretty common here too, that would make a nice shrimp boil along with some lemon zest.

Like I said, I can't imagine eating rats, I am surrounded by yummies.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

With futher thought, I would dig up clams ( I live on the banana river), pick lemons and eat clams on the half shell. We even have stone crabs near the bridges here and lobster off the beach. Shrimp run fairly often too.Really the hard part is complying with the harvesting laws, but if I were the last person on earth, then I would just spear everything. It would be a little annoying, not having butter, but maybe a mix of coconut, lemon and dill would be a nice dipping sauce for the shellfish. Bay leaf is pretty common here too, that would make a nice shrimp boil along with some lemon zest.

Like I said, I can't imagine eating rats, I am surrounded by yummies.
Can I come over for dinner?
Man Im hungry now.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned

Then again, Florida is overrun with wild pigs and oranges. I guess I could trap a few pigs, or even just run one over with my car. All I have to do is get some acorns and stick them in the road and then plow them over with my Acura (should I disconnect the airbag first?), then do a nice roast pig with orage glaze. That doesn't even cover all the gator, hard/impossible to kill by hand, but if I could find one on land, spear it through the eye that might scramble its brainmaking the rest easy to deal with. The tail is of course delicious, but gator leg/foot is really nice too, all you do is smoke it with some local wood like mangrove. We also have alot of rabbits, they always get cought in my courtyard and I have to leave the gate open so they can escape, chicken fried rabbit is really very nice.

Even if that all fails, I could really just use a fish head to catch blue claw crabs. Again the bay leaf and lemon makes a nice boil for them, crab cakes would be hard to make, no flour, but a crab stuffed snook would really be lovely after a little friedlobster and shrimp with coconut batter, the eggs could always come from a nearby pelican nest, right? I could render the fat from the pigs to use for frying.

Starters: Clams on the half shell
Coconut fried lobster and shrimp with coconut/lemon/dill sauce
Shrimp and stone crabcoctail
Smoked Mullet pate

Soup: Crab Bisque garnished with lobster
Turtle soup with smoked gator

Main course : Stuffed Snook
Orange glazedroast pork
Chicken fried rabbit

I mean, I may die of gout, but I don't imagine eating rat would happen anytime soon as long as the Fishfryer was on the job. So when is this alleged apocolypse going to happen? I am getting hungry.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Todays keyword is: ****.

Really Cool ****.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 PM

you named some of my very favorite reasons for living in Florida...the damn seafood is as fresh as it can come.
im bout to go to walmart and buy me a crab trap so i can get me some blue craps...i love crab boils and shrimp boils

Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 PM

I always thought warm water crab meat didnt taste too good?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

I always thought warm water crab meat didnt taste too good?
Not as good as cold water (Montauk Blue crabs are excellent), but they have to be better than rat.

As long as the water is clean, like near an inlet, the crabs down herearepretty good, but they can taste muddy if the water is skanky.