Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How old is too old?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How old is too old?

My dad grew up as a kid racing motorcycles and stopped shortly after I was born. He has never stopped riding just no more race bikes. I got my Repsol and shortly after riding it, he started talking about buying a new bike. As long as I can remember dad has always had BMW motorcycles except for his cafe racer ( Moto Guzzi ). I was recently visiting him in San Diego after he had jost got out of the hospital from being treated for cancer and decided to get him out of the house. I took him to the local Honda dealer for something to do and he ends up taking a bike out for a test ride. Take in mind the poor man was in a wheel chair 2 days prior. Dad could barely walk and ended up riding The RC51. I could not believe the smile he had when he returned back to the dealer, if only I had a camera. After I helped him get off the bike he says to the salesman I'll take it... How old is to old. Dad is over 60...

Old 01-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Rev
Default RE: How old is too old?

you may get some grumpy old men from this board yelling at you..*****...old...what's old..age is a number...BUT...when you have to have someone help you off the bike....that's a problem...when you were in a wheel chair 2 days prior to being on the bike..that's a problem...I'm all for anyone enjoying the sport..it's a cute story cuz it's your dad and he is not getting younger..but if he can handle the bike..then it's fine..if not..i don't suggest it...RC51 is a big boy...tell your dad good luck...

Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 AM

How old does he feel? If riding brings joy to him, he in turn will be a happier man. Sometimes it's the little things, whether materialistic or not, that can make someone feel so great. It is like a subconsciences healing process.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 AM

The 60 year old of today is not like the 60 year old of even 50 years ago adn - thanks to the baby boomers - will be even more active and lively by the time you hit 50. Unless your Dad is mentally incompetent, you'll have to leave the decision up to him.
A number of years ago I had part of my right lung removed because of cancer - it left >12 in scar winding around the side of my chest. The day after they let me out of the hospital, I was out on my bike (didn't have either the XX or the 1000F at that time). I could hardly wait to get home to ride. If he loves to ride like it sounds as if he does, it can be great mental as well as physical PT.
By the way, I'm 69 and still riding my XX and 1000F.
Terry
a female "old codger"

Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 AM

ride it while u can, what if u live past 90 ?
thats 30+ years of wondering what if,
do it today tomorrows a lifetime away, best of luck

Old 01-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Your Never to Old,aslong as you can operate the controls with some sort of skill. Hell man, Ride til ya Die, I will.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:23 PM

A person is never too old to ride, as long as that person can safely operate the motorcycle. In fact, I have a 56 year old friend that road races liter bikes and the guy is trying to get into the Isle of Man TT in the next five years. In the organization that I race with, there's plenty of people in their 60s that are racing. Don't be foold by age, these guys are fast.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:36 PM
L8X

105 might be pushing it but under that- fair game! [8D]

Old 01-20-2006, 06:00 PM

They let old peopl drive cars, why not ride bikes?

Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 PM

I think a lot depends on his physical condition. I'm 54 and I've got an RC51 and a CBR1000RR Repsol. If he's in good enough shape to ride, then I say go for it. [sm=shades.gif]