Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

how much to sell this rifle for????

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much to sell this rifle for????

hey guys I have this- rimington 700 series 243win model#06366916

it has a gray plastic stock great condition

I dont have internet at home or i'd look there and my work has most gun sites blocked so if you can help me get a value to this gun would be nice

ive been offered $225 for it but it seems low but I got the gun from a fanily member who passed away and I dont hunt so any help would be helpful

and if you guys know how much it was brand new would also help out alot

question is how much would you sell this gun for ???

thanks guys

Last edited by crashking; 12-20-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-700...18082/-1143148

Seems to go for around $550 most places brand new.

225 does indeed seem a little low. So I will offer $120.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it does have a scope so I offer $100

Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM

thanks nateD I will try and sell it for a lil more now....and like I said any site that has todo with guns/ammo is blocked from my PC so I couldnt look at the link but ill take ur word on it

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
Well it does have a scope so I offer $100
If you get the winning bid, I'll give you $5 for the sling.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to include the scope? What kind of scope is it?

Good optics are sometimes more valuable than the rifle.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Check out the same gun on Gun broker . com
That will give you an idea of what they are going for new and used.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by crashking
question is how much would you sell this gun for ???
The problem with guns is the asking price. It depends on how bad the buyer wants it and where it comes from. Where did this rifle come from and what scope is on it. Remington 700 series 243win can go for $640 USD however if it is a Dept. store gun (Sears, Walmart, Target) I would not even consider purchasing it. Remington and other manufacture of guns separate parts as they are made. When a supplier gives them wood they look at the quality of the wood for stocks. Wood not up to par is put in different bins than better wood. When the grain is not straight or contains knots or has blemishes, it makes for a less desirable gun. Loose fitting parts detour the buyer. When a store like Walmart goes to a supplier and ask them to build a low budget gun, the supplier goes to the crappy parts bins and builds crappy guns at Walmart prices.

Guns are like art. How much do you want to pay for it? What condition is it in? How many rounds has the barrel seen? Is that a cheap $35 scope or a $2,400 Night Force? How does it shoot? How is the bluing? How is the crown? What is the resale value for that model?

I buy guns with those questions in my head. So far I can get more money than what I paid for with any of my guns.

A problem with guns is that you can't get a good appraisal from a gun shop. They will low-ball you to make a profit.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TBT, I know you like to bash on wally world (and I can't say I blame you), but I have a Rem 700 long action from the great land of wally and I bet you a dollar that you couldn't tell the difference in fit, finish, or accuracy from any other 700 that came from any other gun shop.
I paid $300 for it brand new. The only mistake I made was that I didn't buy more of them in every caliber walmart offered. Other places were charging almost double the price for the same gun.
Heck, the only .22 I ever regretted selling was a Marlin Model 60 that also came from walmart years ago. Best semi-auto I've ever owned. It was a tack driver and would eat any ammo I fed it. (and I ran a chit ton of .22 ammo growing up since it would hold 19rnds...lol)

My thought it that if you see a gun at wally world with a chit stock on it or ill fitting parts.... don't buy it.
Same goes for anywhere else, tho.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM

In the resale world the gun shops look at the ser# and can tell where it came from. There use to be a dept store here years ago call J.M.Fields. A friend of mine brought a Remington 1100 to a dealer and they guy would only give him $100 for it. When asked why so low the guy stated, "This is a Field's gun". He knew the difference. Whether it be Walmart or Sears or Target or any other dept. store, the price will drop in the hands of a knowledgeable dealer.

Double bluing or double plating vs single are some ways of producing a cheaper, good shooting gun. Machine marks on the receiver vs smooth polished finish is one thing I look for. You get what you pay for.

I have a cheap Gov. 1911A that shoots almost as tight of groups as my Ruger MKII at 25yds. It has a great finish and it's real tight. Over 600 rds with no FTL or FTE and it's not broken in yet. It can go up against any $1200 1911 and I only paid $429 for it. I would only expect to get, maybe, $250 for it at a gun shop. The price will never go up no matter how well it shoots as it is an off brand piece. [EDIT] Unless the price of 1911's keeps climbing like it has. Then I should get at least what I paid for it or more. If someone wants a great shooter without the high price of sending theirs out for tweaking, mine would be a bargain at $500.[End EDIT]

crahsking was asking what the gun was worth. I have know idea. Only trying to explain why prices vary. It's not a commemorative model worth $2,200 due to the plastic stock.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 12-22-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: how much to sell this rifle for????