Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

how to lower gas prices *idea*

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to lower gas prices *idea*

Simple supply vs demand. With countries like China noew being one of the worlds largest oil users, there is more demand for oil than ever before. Same supply vs higher demand moves the price up. On top of that, after Katrina the oil companies realized that they can charge us $2.50 p/gallon and we, i.e. Americans, will pay it and the demand doesn't go down like you think it would.

Now President Bush is talking about taking steps to get the price lower. Just my thought here, but that's the wrong thing to do. I know alot of people are going to hate me for saying this, but we need the price of gas to be high. Why you ask? This is a chance for American enginuity to shine! This can mean coming up with alternative ways to produce oil (I've read couple articles on this but can't find a link right now), forcing Americans to think about MPG therefore going to alternative fuel source vehicles (i.e. hybrid/electric vehicles), and using purblic transportation (no American enginuity there, just common sense). But, as long as the price for gas is low Americans will continue to burn fossil fuels in excess without any regard for the fossil fuel usage.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:07 PM

i'm sure there has been many an alternative fuel made or better engines. and i'm sure the oil companies buy every patent for new technology that might be a threat to them. also in 1960 voltswagon came out with a disel car that got 45 mpg... so you would think if the technology was there back then for gas efficiant cars then 40 years later we would be getting 90mpg+...

Old 04-27-2006, 02:25 PM

When you're REALLY ready to do something about it...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/27/comm...life/index.htm

Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Banned

I think that everyone should boycott buying gas completely. This will lower the demand and in turn the price. As a matter of fact, everyone, but me, should boycott Lobster and champagne too.

Really, boycott buying gas? That is quite possibly the dumbest idea on the planet.

Just be happy you can buy a gallon of gas for $3. Think about how much someone would have to PAY you to walk 43 miles (I get 43 mpg on my bike). Hmmm let see, at 3 mph walk it would take about 14 hours. I make say $40/hr so i'd need $560 to walk that far. Screw that.

Until then, ride your bike, encourage other people to get bikes instaed of SUVs. Try and elect people into office that will pass laws that are more bike friendly.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:44 PM

Boycotting Exxon/Mobil won't hurt them. Chances are that they didn't make the gas that they sell anyway. I've worked in a refinery for over 28 years, and we sell gas to ALL the brands. They specify certain additives, depending on the brand, and they buy it from us. Now, if we all drove cars (or bikes) that got 35+ mpg, THEN the oil companies would have to do something. Until the demand goes down, then nothing is going to change much.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 AM

that supply and demand theory is bul#### there is enoughf in our own reserve right now to last us 40 years based on gas consuption as of today it is just like to 70s and the so called electric crisis it is all made up to make money. Do you all think it is a cousidence that we are fighting a country that controlls the largest supply of oil in the world and our president and his family are all oil tycoons? That our gas prices are the highest they have ever been with president who is not only the president of the united states but the president of a major oil company. It is bull and the worst part is we have 3 years of this left. Until next election when we get another crook in office. Swear to god i am moving to canada when presidents are elected on their views of abortion and religon instead of what is best for the country makes me sad. So if you really want to do something about oil DO NOT EVER vote rebublican again i am not a political guy at all but jesus crist open a history book and see how much damage the republican party has gotten us in first oil crisis republican, vietnam rebublican, Desert storm republican, 911 republican in office, operation enduaring freedom republican, and what got us out of all that mess a democrat. Excpt for the last two every time as soon as a democrat was voted in office things fianlly started to change. So next election year think is it really so bad that two **** get married, is it so bad that a woman can CHOOSE to have an abortion, is it so bad that we can use stem cell research to cure previously incureable deiases. Or is it better we are all going broke cause we cant pay for gas none of us are ever going to see social security cause it is being used to fight a war most of united states industry is being out sorced for cheap forigen labor??????? well what would you choose

[sm=patriot.gif]

[sm=rant.gif]

Old 04-28-2006, 02:21 AM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

true, but when i get gas, i get gas anywhere. closest store on the same side of the road, ill get gas no matter the price. $0.10 for 15 gallson is only $1.50, i would rather pay that than sit in line for some gas, or drive 15 miles to get there.

+1

Old 04-28-2006, 03:23 AM

This is all BS. Pretty soon you'll feel like your gassing up an SUV, but in reality you will be straddling your RR paying outrageous prices. If we don't stick together and send a message to the oil companies, like boycotting a particular brand like Exxon/Mobile, our record setting gas prices will end when most of us can't afford to pay it. Gas will go up, diesel will go up, your produce and goods will sky rocket up, and taking a trip with the family will be something you will really have to save for and on and on and on....

Boycotting doesn't mean for a day or a week, it means till the company is seriously in the red.. and even then F*** Them!

You can come up with any number of reasons why prices are going up, but really when the oil companies' are setting record setting profits and their CEOs are make more in one year than most of us will ever see in a lifetime, to me the number one reason why the price is going up is GREED!

You think that's all your paying is $1.50 for your convenience. Think about this, by not making a real statement and not sticking together you're paying somewhere like $24 extra from a little over two and a half years ago. Based on gas being $3.20 today verses $1.60 mid 2003 and a 15-gallon fill up. So how are you going to like it when you are paying $5.00 or $6.00 a gallon?

Old 04-28-2006, 11:11 AM

Unforunately, although boycotting and riding your bike more are good ideas, they won't work. I spent 2 1/2 years stationed in Italy where roughly 75% of the population rode scooters. Why? Because gas was almost $6.00 per gallon. Gas prices never did anything but go up while I was there. Supply and demand doesn't necessarily control gas prices. Greed controls it and until someone steps up and stops the oil conglomerates from gouging us, prices will continue to rise and we will continue to pay the prices. We have become so dependent upon motorized transportation and these big companies know this. As Americans, we won't give up our vehicles, and in turn, will pay whatever they charge to fuel those vehicles. I have stopped griping about gas prices for about the last 6-8 months because griping doesn't do anything. I just adjust my budget and go fill up. I have changed how much I drive my vehicles by which one gets better mileage, but that's about as far as I've gone.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:41 AM

Walk! LOL!

Quick Reply: how to lower gas prices *idea*